Panasonic HC-V750 problem with Mic Input - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 14 Old 05-18-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi, I just got myself the V750 hoping to be able to use it with my Zoom H2n as an external mic. 

However when I plug in headphone output from H2n to mic input in the camera there is a lot of distortion and noise. 

Anyone has the same issue? I checked the same setup with similar camcorder from SONY and it worked great. 

I suppose there is something wrong with mic powering circuit in this model. Any clues? Is this problem also in other camcorders from Panasonic?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-18-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 122
post #3 of 14 Old 05-18-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Consider using the Zoom untethered to the camcorder, then sync the audio in post with editing software:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_videos&search_query=how+to+sync+audio+with+video&search_sort=relevance&search_category=0&page=
post #4 of 14 Old 05-18-2014, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 35

The output from the Zoom is at line level the 750 expects a mic input which is at a much lower level. The attenuator cable suggested in #2 should do the job.

Most people who use a Zoom or other recorder do as suggested in #3 and sync up in a video editor.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-19-2014, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks

@xfws I need to cut short on my editing time - that's why I needed a camera with mic input.

The attenuation cables look a little bit pricy. I will try using DIY stuff: http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/line_to_mic.html 

especially the one with condenser removing the DC bias

However. This is first time I experience distortion like this and I'm afraid that Panasonic did not do a good job on this. If I can't get it to work I will return the camera and claim refund.

post #6 of 14 Old 05-19-2014, 02:00 AM

However. This is first time I experience distortion like this and I'm afraid that Panasonic did not do a good job on this. If I can't get it to work I will return the camera and claim refund.

This is not correct. The input is for microphones only and will need an attenuator if you want to put a line output into it. It is possible that some camcorders will accept a line output into the "mic" socket but you will have to look at the specs to find one. They will have a switchable attenuator installed.

The Panasonic HC-V750 mic input works well and does the job it is advertised to do. I use external mics on mine all the time without any problems. So if you want to use your Zoom instead of a normal mic then you will need to buy an attenuating cable. BroadcastAV in the UK supply these cables for Zoom to camcorder with and without a monitoring socket. IMO Panasonic did an excellent job and have produced a great camera, I expect it will become the last "standard" for HD filming before 4K takes over.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-30-2014, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by witekwitek View Post
Hi, I just got myself the V750 hoping to be able to use it with my Zoom H2n as an external mic. 
However when I plug in headphone output from H2n to mic input in the camera there is a lot of distortion and noise. 
Anyone has the same issue? I checked the same setup with similar camcorder from SONY and it worked great. 

I suppose there is something wrong with mic powering circuit in this model. Any clues? Is this problem also in other camcorders from Panasonic?
Headphone jack is a line level output. You need a line-to-mic level converter to make this work.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
if you have one end in the headphone jack and the other end in the mic input do you end up with no sound?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-30-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishywishy View Post
if you have one end in the headphone jack and the other end in the mic input do you end up with no sound?

I have one of these cables, it connects between my Zoom H2 and my 750. I use the Zoom as a quality mic input.
The headphone to mic attenuator quoted in #2 works perfectly. It needs to be installed according to the markings on the cable.
The headphone out from the Zoom is for monitoring purposes and has its own volume control so between the Zoom volume and the 750 mic level control a good audio recording is possible. It should be monitored using the headphone out on the 750.
The Zoom can still record so it is possible to match the Zoom recording with the video audio for a quality audio track.

To claim that the problem is with the camera just shows the poor understanding by the OP. He was lucky not to damage his 750 by using a direct connection. So instead of doing what he suggests in #5 he should buy a cable made by a company with experience in thus area.

Last edited by Terfyn; 07-30-2014 at 10:40 PM.
post #10 of 14 Unread Yesterday, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
V750 microphone question

I am recording coaching sessions and I need to get clear audio from both the person in front of the camera and the coach sitting behind the camera. The built-in microphone seems to be highly directional, so the voice from behind the camera is muffled. Are there any audio settings on the camera to change the microphone from directional to omni-directional? Thanks!
post #11 of 14 Unread Yesterday, 03:19 PM

You can change from "Zoom Mic" to "Stereo Mic", this may help. There is 5.1 surround sound which should pick up sound from the rear but you will need to process this in post production.

A better way is to use an external mixer (example Azden FMX-DSLR Portable Audio Mixer) to mix the signals from two mics into the camera. This will let you pick up the sound from the two sources without any problems.
post #12 of 14 Unread Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
This is first time I experience distortion like this and I'm afraid that Panasonic did not do a good job on this. If I can't get it to work I will return the camera and claim refund.
Would you claim refund if your gasoline-powered car did not accept diesel fuel?
post #13 of 14 Unread Today, 10:18 AM

Quote:

I'm afraid you cannot blame Panasonic if you misuse their equipment. You CANNOT put a line input into a mic socket and expect it to work. All the information has been given to you in the above posts.
post #14 of 14 Unread Today, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiego92117 View Post
I am recording coaching sessions and I need to get clear audio from both the person in front of the camera and the coach sitting behind the camera. The built-in microphone seems to be highly directional, so the voice from behind the camera is muffled. Are there any audio settings on the camera to change the microphone from directional to omni-directional? Thanks!
Further to what I said above, could the coach sit next to the student but out of camera shot?

Plus there are a number of "conference" mics which are omni-directional and would pick up both sides of the conversation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page