I's coming: the Panasonic LX 8, a 4K video pocket camera that is not junk - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 06-13-2014, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias Burling View Post
Sure, but please note that this is an old channel I had just for kicks and I have abandoned it since 6 months. The channel I currently use is in my real name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZo2pA0Qc9U

I shot this one on a t3i also. I did it for the guy (who is a friend) so he could use it on is website promoting himself as a Piano technician. And now he is one of the most hired in Stockholm and tunes in the old Abba studio and other cool places. Its of course because he is great at what he does but the marketing probably didn't hurt either and thats not useless at all

https://vimeo.com/67958502

Now try moving the camera, or using something more than a few centimeters of depth of field, or anything where the plane of focus changes. Like I said, horrible. I have a T3i as well, and unless you have the thing locked down on a tripod shooting a static object without significant motion, the camera is pretty useless for shooting video. For instance, look at your footage at 1:22, that is a good example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 06-13-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
Now try moving the camera, or using something more than a few centimeters of depth of field, or anything where the plane of focus changes. Like I said, horrible. I have a T3i as well, and unless you have the thing locked down on a tripod shooting a static object without significant motion, the camera is pretty useless for shooting video. For instance, look at your footage at 1:22, that is a good example.
No need to watch that long: the very first shot in the "tuner" video is full of moire on the strings. Moire and stairstepping. This is not HD. People tolerated this crap only for large sensor / good sensitivity / shallow DOF, working around this and using it for shooting shallow DOF low-detail stuff, but now when the RX10 and the likes are available, the Nikon/Canon DSLRs will be demoted back to where they were, that is, for making still photos.

I am going to sell my DSLRs and will get either the RX10 or its successsor or the RX100Mk3 (1 inch is good enough) or maybe the FZ1000 if Panasonic adds 24p @ 4K and full range of frame rates in 720p mode. Or maybe the Sony CX900.
post #33 of 37 Old 06-13-2014, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
No need to watch that long: the very first shot in the "tuner" video is full of moire on the strings. Moire and stairstepping. This is not HD. People tolerated this crap only for large sensor / good sensitivity / shallow DOF, working around this and using it for shooting shallow DOF low-detail stuff, but now when the RX10 and the likes are available, the Nikon/Canon DSLRs will be demoted back to where they were, that is, for making still photos.

I am going to sell my DSLRs and will get either the RX10 or its successsor or the RX100Mk3 (1 inch is good enough) or maybe the FZ1000 if Panasonic adds 24p @ 4K and full range of frame rates in 720p mode. Or maybe the Sony CX900.
I never said anything of there not being ailiazing, I just said that its not useless and I have more than proven that point so I will leave it at that.
I work as a producer and if some one in the crew says he cant do a job because he only got a AX100 to work with instead of an Epic, guess what I concider useless and might have to go, him or the camera

The rx10 is nice and I ordered the FZ1000 yesterday, but many will concider it totally useless for video due to the lack of SDOF

Me personally Ive stoped looking for the perfect camera a long time ago, I use different types for different jobs. I guess my FS100 is the closetst to an allrounder but still it will be left out from time to time.

And while we are on the subject of Aliazing, Did you whatch in full screen 1080p?
If not you of course see more than whats really there. I have a video about it on my new channel that might be of interest. Even 35mm film has aliasing if not wathed properly.
Thats simply something to live with these days. When you buy your rx10 or fz1000 and shoot a nice landscape some dude on the internet will watch it in high def on a small window and then comment that its the worst moire he has ever seen
post #34 of 37 Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias Burling View Post
I never said anything of there not being ailiazing, I just said that its not useless and I have more than proven that point so I will leave it at that.
I work as a producer and if some one in the crew says he cant do a job because he only got a AX100 to work with instead of an Epic, guess what I concider useless and might have to go, him or the camera

The rx10 is nice and I ordered the FZ1000 yesterday, but many will concider it totally useless for video due to the lack of SDOF

Me personally Ive stoped looking for the perfect camera a long time ago, I use different types for different jobs. I guess my FS100 is the closetst to an allrounder but still it will be left out from time to time.

And while we are on the subject of Aliazing, Did you whatch in full screen 1080p?
If not you of course see more than whats really there. I have a video about it on my new channel that might be of interest. Even 35mm film has aliasing if not wathed properly.
Thats simply something to live with these days. When you buy your rx10 or fz1000 and shoot a nice landscape some dude on the internet will watch it in high def on a small window and then comment that its the worst moire he has ever seen
You are right, it is not that bad if I watch it full-screen. So yes, one can use DSLR for videos, but pros who used them two years ago now have switched to proper cameras because they got tired to work around deficiencies of the DSLRs. At the same time, there are consumer cams on the market that are better than DSLRs for videos. The RX10 is expensive, about $1.2K, but the T4i is about $500, then say the F2.8-4 17-70mm Sigma lens is another $500, this lens is much better then the stock 18-55 F3.5-5.6, it is a great everyday lens, but expensive. Then I need say a 50mm F1.8 for low light and portraits and something with better reach, say 70-200mm or 70-300mm for long shots. So with only three lenses it is more money than the RX10.

With the RX10 I would not bother with replacing lenses, constant F2.8 is quite sensitive, the range is good enough, it shoots all the frame rates, and the image is better than on the DSLR. Yes, DOF is not that shallow, but this is OK, it is still better than on a 1/3-inch camcorder.

My only reservation against the RX10 right now is the RX100Mk3, which has 50 Mbit/s bitrate, I would rather prefer it to 28 Mbit/s.

You are right, no point to look for a perfect camera, a better one appears almost every month, but some are really better and some are really worse, and when the difference is so drastic one may ask whether it is worth to cope with something that just is not designed for certain work. I am not a shallow DOF whore, but I am not a 4K whore either, I want a good balance.

BTW, I liked your "tuner" video, I watched it completely. I think that movement was not always justified, but overall this is a nice piece.

The other nightstand video is great too. Simple and to the point. When I was watching this, I recalled this one: http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/detail.aspx?sid=144

Last edited by Ungermann; 06-13-2014 at 11:33 PM.
post #35 of 37 Old 06-13-2014, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks, I agree on the movement thing. It was my first day with that slider so when I got home I realized I had spent way to much time playing with it. And usually I use to many static shots, lucky it was just a fun project with a friend

It sure is tricky choosing between the rx10, rx100iii, lx8 and fz1000. I just whent with the fz1000 for the long zoom and it was cheaper than all the others.
Im pretty exited to play with it when it shows up.
post #36 of 37 Old 06-22-2014, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To me, the LX8 sounds pretty good (for the money) but I have a GH4 and really like it.

I will wait for the GH5 to be my next camera. Hopefully it will have 4k 60P and 1080 P120.
So far, I like 1080 P60 a lot more than 4k at 24 or 30 fps.
No, I do not use it for slow motion.
post #37 of 37 Old 06-22-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRoger View Post
I will wait for the GH5 to be my next camera. .......
I'm stuffing the occasional spare $20 or $50 into a designated 4K corner in my wallet for my next camera. It might take until the GH5 before I get there!
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page