post #91 of 179 Old 08-25-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post
Yes i see it ken,i dont know what it is,i have checked the origional stored file and its shows clearer there,perhaps someone can give an idea what it could be,i have not noticed it before and normaly would not include bad clips in films.
A question for you,as you say editing 4k on pcs is no problem,i have a pretty powerful pc now,on powerdirector they play fine on the imported media files but when i drag them to the editing timeline playback is very poor,almost impossible to tell whats good and bad,probobly why the clip got in the film.
By the wayIf you are still coming over here bring your winter clothes,i have never in all my years known it so cold in August.
Chris, I don't use PD, but rather Edius. So I'd defer to a PD user for your answer. With that said, it's not unusual for these clips to play back in a manner that's worse than if just using WMP. Even on Edius, I don't get the buttery smooth playback I get when using WMP. It may be a resource issue with the demands of both the editing program and the 4K clips playing within the program.

As for weather, we're having the coolest summer that I can remember here in N.Y. too. So much for global warming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 179 Old 08-26-2014, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I want to thank ricksastro for the advice to use the portrait mode and lower the AWB to M-4. The initial settings were a flickery, stuttery mess with too vivid colours. I probably made some other changes too when fiddeling with settings and now the picture is gorgeous on my Panasonic 4K AX100 TV. I render with Power Director 11 without problems. TMPGEnc, I could not make working with 4K files.
I want to thank Chris too because your dog and horse clips made me buying the camera.
post #93 of 179 Old 08-26-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixbe View Post
I want to thank ricksastro for the advice to use the portrait mode and lower the AWB to M-4. The initial settings were a flickery, stuttery mess with too vivid colours. I probably made some other changes too when fiddeling with settings and now the picture is gorgeous on my Panasonic 4K AX100 TV. I render with Power Director 11 without problems. TMPGEnc, I could not make working with 4K files.
I want to thank Chris too because your dog and horse clips made me buying the camera.
Not quite clear Bixbe ,are you saying you are making 4K films or downsizing to 1920x1080P.
post #94 of 179 Old 08-26-2014, 09:19 AM

..Yes, I make 4K films with PD 11. I have the Swedish version so I hope the words correspond. After the timeline is ready I click export and there I click "intelligent SVRT" where I,m asked to make a profile (if it,s not already done) for 3840X2160 25 fps MP4. To make it work i neglect the SVRT and click start. It is much slower than for SVRT 1080p. I have not tried to downrez the 4K files. I tried the 1080/50p setting on the FZ1000. It wins over HF G30 in sharpness but the Canons colour, zoom and panning is better, I believe..
post #95 of 179 Old 08-26-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Same way,i put a couple on my key today and took it to the local large TV electrical store where i was able to watch some on a large 4K samsung tv,first time for me ,great resolution but i prefer the color on my PC monitor and from the awful BDs playing on my old 1920x1080P tvs,probobly not set up right.
post #96 of 179 Old 08-28-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

https://vimeo.com/104629836
Too windy for getting realy steady footage,but a fair assortment of birds.
post #97 of 179 Old 08-28-2014, 02:46 PM

...My first 4K YouTube clips. YouTube uploads with 25Mbps which is nice. I cannot decide which Pc player to use, Power DVD, MPC-HC or WMP for Windows 7. All have different artifacts. I have not tried VLC. I wish the promised Dune media player will be better as it is with 1080/50p compared to the pc players.
post #98 of 179 Old 08-28-2014, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wow, the colors and overall video image quality of the FZ1000 is phenomenally life like - puts my GH4 and the AX100 to shame. What a bummer that my 3 month old GH4 is already obsolete!
post #99 of 179 Old 08-29-2014, 03:44 AM

As a great surprise I found out today that I can not blame the pc players nor the camera for artefacts. Most of it can be fixed with the TV display settings. Most important was to turn off the "intelligent frame correction".
post #100 of 179 Old 08-30-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I'm glad you like the colors. I really was not happy with the anemic greens of the standard setting so I sought out to find the best setting to allow a more neutral look, even nicer than the AX100 which I still really like. For stills, I don't normally care about the WB settings since I use RAW, but for video I strive to get close to ideal to minimize post-processing.

Your videos do indeed look awesome and natural!
post #101 of 179 Old 08-30-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the FZ Overheat?

I'm seriously interested in acquiring the FZ1000 for recording events. Has anyone experienced overheating with the FZ1000? I have also considered the upcoming LX1000, but given its smaller size, I would think the FZ is a safer bet. Thank you in advance.
post #102 of 179 Old 08-30-2014, 02:47 PM

There is an "audio buzz" problem in mine. I think it is fans running too loud. It is discussed at the Dpreview forum . I don´t know how many that are affected. You should listen before buying. I can not use the internal mic which is set at the lowest -13 dB and my Rode stereo mic pro at highest +20dB. I need to mount it at least 20 cm from the camera to avoid the whirring sound.
About YouTube statistics...Average viewing time for my clips is around 1 minute...ugh..
post #103 of 179 Old 08-30-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

The onboard mic is is pretty useless with the fan noise if that is the cause[most if not all on board mics have been the same on my cams & cameras over the years]i dont get noise using my Rode stereo but the sound is still not in the class of my Canon HF-G30.
post #104 of 179 Old 08-30-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
There is an "audio buzz" problem in mine. I think it is fans running too loud. It is discussed at the Dpreview forum . I don´t know how many that are affected. You should listen before buying. I can not use the internal mic which is set at the lowest -13 dB and my Rode stereo mic pro at highest +20dB. I need to mount it at least 20 cm from the camera to avoid the whirring sound.
About YouTube statistics...Average viewing time for my clips is around 1 minute...ugh..
The noise is the IS system either moving the IS lens element or keeping it centered if the IS is turned off. It is unavoidable at this point with the internal mic. It can be easily heard in quiet ambient conditions, but itn't bad for outdoors or louder events. Wouldn't use it for things like presentations, blog videos or interviews.
post #105 of 179 Old 08-31-2014, 12:47 AM

Yes, I read the explanation in the manual but my sound is constant even when the lenscap is on. Is the IS working then?
Chris, the Canon HF G30 is almost inaudible compared to the FZ1000. The IS on the Canon when panning and zooming is also superior, but it´s hard going back to the Canon with the fantastic resolution in the FZ1000.
The lenses in the Canon are built in the camera body which is one reason why it sounds less, I guess.

Last edited by Bixbe; 08-31-2014 at 12:59 AM.
post #106 of 179 Old 08-31-2014, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I read the explanation in the manual but my sound is constant even when the lenscap is on. Is the IS working then?
Chris, the Canon HF G30 is almost inaudible compared to the FZ1000. The IS on the Canon when panning and zooming is also superior, but it´s hard going back to the Canon with the fantastic resolution in the FZ1000.
The lenses in the Canon are built in the camera body which is one reason why it sounds less, I guess.
Every thing you say is true,incidentally the sound from my FZ100 is no quieter with the IS off.Like you i could not go back to that resolution,If only my Blu Rays from 4k made files were not so bad i would be happy,but compared to Blu Rays from normal 1920X1080p they are terrible.
post #107 of 179 Old 08-31-2014, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I have been using the FZ1000 and GH4 daily during my two weeks in hot & humid Hong Kong and Shanghai. I logged about 600GB between the two cameras and yes, they felt warm but never erred.

This footage was from FZ1000, edited from over a whole day of continuous use where my 128GB card was filled in 90s with 60% humidity.

http://youtu.be/Nt1mZCpc4Ik?list=UUp...Ph30b_uq986vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinlaw View Post
I'm seriously interested in acquiring the FZ1000 for recording events. Has anyone experienced overheating with the FZ1000? I have also considered the upcoming LX1000, but given its smaller size, I would think the FZ is a safer bet. Thank you in advance.
post #108 of 179 Old 08-31-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
As I mentioned, the IS system is holding the IS lens in the center even with IS off. This is exactly the way the Olympus omd EM5 worked...no way to turn the noise off. To prove it to yourself, shake the camera with the power off...you'll hear a thunk of the lens assembly. Turn the power on and you no longer hear the thunk.

Since the camera apparently has no passive locking mechanism when the IS is off, it need to electromechanically hold it in place. There may be a firmware update to minimize this noise with the switch off (like the EM5 had), but it will never be eliminated since there's apparently no physical locking mechanism.
post #109 of 179 Old 09-01-2014, 01:21 AM

Good to see that my camera is not faulty. I am going back to the store this week to pick up the mic extension kit and the "dead kitten". Then I will listen to the noise of their demo ex. Once again I appreciate your info, ricksastro..
post #110 of 179 Old 09-01-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chiu View Post
I have been using the FZ1000 and GH4 daily during my two weeks in hot & humid Hong Kong and Shanghai. I logged about 600GB between the two cameras and yes, they felt warm but never erred.

This footage was from FZ1000, edited from over a whole day of continuous use where my 128GB card was filled in 90s with 60% humidity.

http://youtu.be/Nt1mZCpc4Ik?list=UUp...Ph30b_uq986vzw
Thank you, William. The clip is stunning!
Since you own both the FZ1000 and GH4, could you comment on whether the extra investment on the GH4 was warranted?
I am pretty sure I will pull the trigger on the FZ1000 but I'm still considering the GH4 for the unlimited recording time, the larger sensor and the ability to snap on a wider lens. That is, if no convincing alternative is announced during Photokina.
post #111 of 179 Old 09-01-2014, 02:52 PM

The GH4 has better ergonomics during use. For one thing, the exposure compensation button is on top for the GH4, making it very easy to change during videos. You cannot adjust the exposure compensation on the FZ1000 during videos. You have to stop, go to quick menu and toggle to exposure compensation. Then you can go lower of higher. Somewhat time consuming during run & gun.

i feel the OIS on the FZ1000 maybe better. This one I took on a very rough seas.

FZ1000 frame grabs
wide end
https://flic.kr/p/p1Yesg

zooming in
https://flic.kr/p/oJJPeg

long end
https://flic.kr/p/oJKt9H

jacking ISO
https://flic.kr/p/oZcJbj

From GH4
https://flic.kr/p/p1YeXz

This is the wide end from 12-35 lumix lens.

all images were not edited.

Regarding long captures, both GH4 and FZ1000 split long sessions into smaller files. Personally, I do not mind this. Just extra labeling after each day.

Quote:
Thank you, William. The clip is stunning!
Since you own both the FZ1000 and GH4, could you comment on whether the extra investment on the GH4 was warranted?
I am pretty sure I will pull the trigger on the FZ1000 but I'm still considering the GH4 for the unlimited recording time, the larger sensor and the ability to snap on a wider lens. That is, if no convincing alternative is announced during Photokina.

Last edited by William Chiu; 09-01-2014 at 02:57 PM.
post #112 of 179 Old 09-02-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Good to see that my camera is not faulty. I am going back to the store this week to pick up the mic extension kit and the "dead kitten". Then I will listen to the noise of their demo ex. Once again I appreciate your info, ricksastro..
Anyone have any suggestions on an 'inexpensive' mic that would work better than the internal one? I'm seriously looking at this camera, but it is a bit out of my budget (especially considering the needed accessories (memory card and extra battery)). Basically, If I can find something for $50 or less, that would be awesome!

Thanks,
Pez
post #113 of 179 Old 09-02-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
could you comment on whether the extra investment on the GH4 was warranted?
Beware there are downsides to the GH4 as compared to the FZ1000. Like less accurate outdoor landscape color reproduction. I do not know of any in-camera settings that will make my GH4 record sky colors with the realistic shade of blue than can be seen in the following FZ1000 sample: So I may have to get a FZ1000 myself even though I have a GH4.
post #114 of 179 Old 09-02-2014, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I may end up picking up one of these...footage looks appealing. I like my RX100m3 for the ability to pocket it though (low key photog'esque)
post #115 of 179 Old 09-05-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

https://vimeo.com/105352521
A few locations ,Early September,the same film vimeo and youtube.

Last edited by flintyplus; 09-05-2014 at 10:27 AM.
post #116 of 179 Old 09-06-2014, 06:26 AM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezgod View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on an 'inexpensive' mic that would work better than the internal one? I'm seriously looking at this camera, but it is a bit out of my budget (especially considering the needed accessories (memory card and extra battery)). Basically, If I can find something for $50 or less, that would be awesome!

Thanks,
Pez
I have one of these cameras. The internal noise is a disappointment, but not a deal breaker. You want to get a powered mic for this camera to improve quality. There are a couple of inexpensive powered mics on amazon with good reviews. What you pick will be dependent on what you will be shooting. Different mic types for different situations.
post #117 of 179 Old 09-06-2014, 07:16 AM

Try this for mike settings.

I have tried many settings with the internal mike.
For this video:

Mic Level Adj. -3dB
Mic Level Limiter ON
Wind Cut HIGH
Zoom Mic OFF

I found this setting also worked for outdoors, even on a boat or high on a windy mountain.
Give it a try before adding an external mike to the FZ1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post
I have one of these cameras. The internal noise is a disappointment, but not a deal breaker. You want to get a powered mic for this camera to improve quality. There are a couple of inexpensive powered mics on amazon with good reviews. What you pick will be dependent on what you will be shooting. Different mic types for different situations.
post #118 of 179 Old 09-06-2014, 01:50 PM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Some additional discussion over at dpreview:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/threa...-post-54158976

If you are going to just shoot home movies and whatnot the internal mic might suit your needs. Anyone really wanting the 4k image probably also wants good sound to match the effort and expense.

Again, different mics for different purposes if you are using this camera for video.
post #119 of 179 Old 09-08-2014, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I've been looking at different microphones...and I came across this brand. Boya.

http://www.boya-mic.com/products/show-387.html

It also looks like they have one that is very similar to the Rode Stereo Videomic for less than 1/2 the price!

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/boya-by-v...-recorder.html

I wonder if they are any good... (you get what you pay for...i know) Have any of you ever heard of this brand?

Edit: Also found this one.. http://www.amazon.com/Movo-VXR300-Pr.../dp/B00I4DGWHK

Last edited by pezgod; 09-08-2014 at 01:48 PM.
post #120 of 179 Old 09-10-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

https://vimeo.com/105780110
The biggest problem filming here for me was focus,keeping focus between trees/branches plus grasses etc.

Last edited by flintyplus; 09-11-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Reply Camcorders
Gear in this thread - FZ1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page