1Likes
  • 1 Post By RobAC

post #1 of 9 Old 06-15-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My guide/review of the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

It doesn't seem to be a very popular camera here but during the year I have done a beginners guide/review series about the BMPCC that I now consider done.

Thought I post all the parts since its still mentioned from time to time and I cover most of what a beginner to cinema cameras would need to know with a very low budget in mind.
/Mattias

Part 1, Is it a Pocket Camera?

Part 2, Power and Storage

Part 3, Good In Camera Audio on a Low Budget

Part 4, Using it for a Documentary

Part 5, Good Low Budget Lenses

Part 6, Prores or Raw?

Part 7, Lenses Revisited All About Vintage

Part 8, Low Light

Part 9, Looking at Alternative Pocket Cameras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-15-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 136
This is I am sure helpful, but it misses a key point - you need to know how to grade in post, whether you shoot Pro Res or RAW. And most people evidently are really bad at it. It is not easy. Without being or becoming expert in grading, this camera is to be avoided. Which means it should be avoided by most everyone, lest we be exposed to some really awful videos.

I shot with it for 6 months, and really enjoyed the experience of shooting RAW and learning and carrying out grading - even without LUTs. I posted many videos here that used the camera. Most of the BMPCC videos I have seen are big fails because of poor grading, most of which seems to be plain incompetence, sometimes masquerading as art.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-15-2014, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
This is I am sure helpful, but it misses a key point - you need to know how to grade in post, whether you shoot Pro Res or RAW. And most people evidently are really bad at it. It is not easy. Without being or becoming expert in grading, this camera is to be avoided. Which means it should be avoided by most everyone, lest we be exposed to some really awful videos.

I shot with it for 6 months, and really enjoyed the experience of shooting RAW and learning and carrying out grading - even without LUTs. I posted many videos here that used the camera. Most of the BMPCC videos I have seen are big fails because of poor grading, most of which seems to be plain incompetence, sometimes masquerading as art.
I see your point but I dont agree in full. I have made a tutorial on grading both the Raw and Prores footage and its IMO not that hard at all. Im certanly no grade expert but still manage to make it look decent.

Its like most things, you need to learn it and I would not advice people to avoid stuff just because they might have to learn. That to me is the point of all this. Shooting and becoming better

Last edited by Mattias Burling; 06-15-2014 at 02:00 PM.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-15-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I stopped watching at 1:34 as your "graded" Pro Res was in no way a realistic depiction of color. Maybe that's what you were after, but one needs to start with realism and go from there. And maybe you disagree, but it looked just like many "graded" BMPCC videos posted around - realistic color was not in evidence, just muddy and washed out (still better than the original, of course). We have had many discussions in this forum on this point about most "graded" videos. Maybe you should look at them.

And it's ok if you want to defend your coloring as art. But that is not what most people are trying for. And "Film Convert" I think gives really bad color too.

Btw, the grading software of choice is Resolve. Resolve Lite comes free with the BMPCC, and that is what most users would employ. A tutorial using that, without crutches like Film Covert, would be more useful for most BMPCC actual or potential purchasers.

Grading has a lot more to do with how the video is perceived than lens choice, with this camera.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-15-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Sorry, I stopped watching at 1:34 as your "graded" Pro Res was in no way a realistic depiction of color.
9 more seconds into the video and he explains you can use auto-correct.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-15-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post
Quote:
Sorry, I stopped watching at 1:34 as your "graded" Pro Res was in no way a realistic depiction of color.

!!!
post #7 of 9 Old 06-15-2014, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
And it's ok if you want to defend your coloring as art. But that is not what most people are trying for.
I don need to defend anything, your opinion doesnt carry more nor less weight than mine, we just have different once

Last edited by Mattias Burling; 06-16-2014 at 06:49 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-15-2014, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

!!!
And Three seconds after that I advĂ­ce against using it, remember guys its a beginners guide (even says so in the title)

While we are on the subject of "auto", IMO Adobe Camera Raws auto feature makes for a more realistic representation of color than any footage Ive seen straight from a video camera (I know you prefer Davinci and I own the full version but my current computer wont accept it).
But I would love to have a Camera that would do the job for me for projects when time is a factor.
What cameras is it you use?

Currently I use a FS100 and it gets me almost there but not in anyway as close as a BMCC which of course also has a more realistic dynamic range, but that I can accept since no sub $5000 camcorder comes even close.
I guess I would like one for BTS and such. I preordered the AX100 for that reason but cancelled since Im not likeing what I see from that camera so far enough to justify its short comings in the price range. There are some used once floating around for 60-80% of its retail value and that has me interested again.
Im getting one from Sony this week to review so of course my opinion might change when I get to use it in real Life (I hope so ).
post #9 of 9 Old 06-23-2014, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Mattias, you put a lot of work into these tutorials and I can really appreciate the time and effort it took to do so.

Good job !

Rob
Mattias Burling likes this.
Reply Camcorders

Tags
beginner , blackmagic , guide , Review

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page