How good is the manual focus on the Panasonic V750? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-21-2014, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How good is the manual focus on the Panasonic V750?

Hello all, I'm looking into getting the Panasonic V750 within the next 2 weeks, but I was wondering how good is the manual focus dial on the camera. I've been ALL over youtube and other sites but I have not been able to find one video showing the manual focus at work. I like using manual focus for artsy type shots and wanted to see what owners of the camera think of the manual focus using the dial in front of the cam.

Last edited by krazydy; 06-21-2014 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Becuase I'm a horible writer :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-21-2014, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The manual focus is relatively easy to use but, perhaps, not as easy as a focus ring. The focus facility generates a "halo" of blue around the subject to tell you when the subject is in focus, this is in addition to the normal fuzz to sharp you would expect. (The blue "halo" is not recorded!!!)
I tend to use auto focus as it is so good but I understand your requirement to produce the effects you desire. I expect that some practice will sort any uncomfortable action using the "manual" wheel.

P.S. Just had a play and it is quite easy to use. The only thought is that the wheel is not highly geared so it is not easy to suddenly pull from soft focus into sharp focus if this is the effect you are looking for

Last edited by Terfyn; 06-21-2014 at 07:08 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-21-2014, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post
The manual focus is relatively easy to use but, perhaps, not as easy as a focus ring. The focus facility generates a "halo" of blue around the subject to tell you when the subject is in focus, this is in addition to the normal fuzz to sharp you would expect. (The blue "halo" is not recorded!!!)
I tend to use auto focus as it is so good but I understand your requirement to produce the effects you desire. I expect that some practice will sort any uncomfortable action using the "manual" wheel.

P.S. Just had a play and it is quite easy to use. The only thought is that the wheel is not highly geared so it is not easy to suddenly pull from soft focus into sharp focus if this is the effect you are looking for
Yes, I am looking for that effect of being able to focus from one subject to another fast. Of course I don't expect it to be as fast as DSLR when manual focusing but not slow like some of the less expensive camcorders when using the focus on the LCD screen. That's one of the biggest reason the v750 got my eye due to the multi wheel manual focus. I was also looking at the X920 because of the ring on the lens but the v750 feel like it may be a better choice due to its 50M bitrate. Have you had a chance to play with a x920?
post #4 of 5 Old 06-21-2014, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No I only have experience with the 700 and the 750. I expect that there is no mechanical connection between the wheel/ring and the actual focus but it is done with motors inside the camera.

I can only suggest you also look at the DSLRs that have record video and have a lens with a focus ring.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-22-2014, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post
No I only have experience with the 700 and the 750. I expect that there is no mechanical connection between the wheel/ring and the actual focus but it is done with motors inside the camera.

I can only suggest you also look at the DSLRs that have record video and have a lens with a focus ring.
I have a Canon T4i but I wanted a dedicated High quality video recorder. At this point I think I'm going to go with the v750 and save some money.
Reply Camcorders
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page