Sony HDR-CX290 transfer problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony HDR-CX290 transfer problem

I have a Sony HDR-CX290 hooked up to my Intel MacPro OS 10.7.5, with iMovie 8.0.6 (’09), and have made excellent videos for a year or so. But I had a problem. I filled the internal memory, and transferring to my Mac left some files not transferred. I deleted the successfully transferred files, then tried again. iMovie found the deleted files but not the untransferred files. I do not think I changed any settings. The only difference I can see is that I filled the internal memory, for the first time. Anyhow, iMovie does not recognize the remaining files. Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
can you copy the files to a memory card in camera?
post #3 of 7 Old 06-27-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

How do I do that?
post #4 of 7 Old 06-27-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpg View Post
I have a Sony HDR-CX290 hooked up to my Intel MacPro OS 10.7.5, with iMovie 8.0.6 (’09), and have made excellent videos for a year or so. But I had a problem. I filled the internal memory, and transferring to my Mac left some files not transferred. I deleted the successfully transferred files, then tried again. iMovie found the deleted files but not the untransferred files. I do not think I changed any settings. The only difference I can see is that I filled the internal memory, for the first time. Anyhow, iMovie does not recognize the remaining files. Any help would be appreciated!
You could try to see if your computer recognizes the camera as a drive, independent of iMovie....then navigate through the camcorder's folders to the video files, copy and paste the files onto your computer hard drive.
Then import the files into iMovie from your hard drive.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-27-2014, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As xfws says it is best to go back to basics. Ignore IMovie, look at the camera as a basic external drive and, using your file and folder explorer, see what is on the drive and on the SD card. Then transfer what you can to your computer hard drive.
I use a PC not a Mac and, if I had the same problem, I would use Windows Explorer. It is rare to find people who try to download video files using a video editor, most carry out a two stage process, first download the files using copy or move and second use the files, now downloaded into the computer, as the input to the editor program.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-28-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

xfws; Thank you. Indeed the Mac recognized the camcorder and I downloaded the files to my HD, ending up as .MTS files. My iMovie 8.0.6 does not translate from MTS, so I struggled with several conversion programs, settling on Brorsoft, albeit with the water mark. It was fool-proof compared to the other conversion programs I trid.

Terfyn: Being of part-Welsh extraction, I indeed was able to do what you and xfws advised. Lost part of the iMovie features, such as dividing by day...but it worked. Somehow and somewhere I errored in some manner not understood, but the internal memory was too small anyhow, and I will now always work with the card.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-28-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpg View Post
xfws; Thank you. Indeed the Mac recognized the camcorder and I downloaded the files to my HD, ending up as .MTS files. My iMovie 8.0.6 does not translate from MTS...
Good to hear it worked out.

I'm not a Mac user..but if you're just playing the mts files, you can use the VLC player for Mac.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Mac:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
Reply Camcorders
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page