Should I get a DSLR or a camcorder? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Should I get a DSLR or a camcorder?

My friend and I make YouTube videos and we are looking to improve our quality. Currently, we are using a cheap Nikon digital camera. We want something that has pretty good video quality, but would not like it to cost any more than $500. A lot of people have been recommending the Canon Rebel t3i, and I know that has good quality, but I heard videos can only be 12 minutes and sometimes we'll be filming for a half an hour. We would like something that an external mic can connect to, as I know many camcorders/cameras don't have good audio quality. Any suggestions? We won't be moving the camera, we normally just set it on a tripod and start filming, if that makes any difference. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I used o recomend the t3i as a good cheap entery level DSLR for video. Now days I say Panasonic G6. It has loads of videofeatures and the quality is exelent for the price.
http://www.eoshd.com/content/10824/p...-the-gh2-redux
post #3 of 8 Old 07-07-2014, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1401 View Post
My friend and I make YouTube videos and we are looking to improve our quality. Currently, we are using a cheap Nikon digital camera. We want something that has pretty good video quality, but would not like it to cost any more than $500. A lot of people have been recommending the Canon Rebel t3i, and I know that has good quality, but I heard videos can only be 12 minutes and sometimes we'll be filming for a half an hour. We would like something that an external mic can connect to, as I know many camcorders/cameras don't have good audio quality. Any suggestions? We won't be moving the camera, we normally just set it on a tripod and start filming, if that makes any difference. Thanks!

check this out

and

note: i use sony camcorders for all my video needs. my latest purchased is the sony ax100. and i carry the sony gw77 w me all the time.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-07-2014, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1401 View Post
Hi avs1401 - sadly, all of the large sensor, interchangeable lens cameras with mic jacks in your price range have 12 to 30 minute continuous recording limits. That leaves you with camcorders. The best in your price range are probably the Panasonic HC-V750 and Canon R50 series.

I would go for the $528 (as of this post) Panasonic (even though it's a little over your budget) for its standard cold shoe for accessories and its 1080/120p slow motion (which you are unlikely to use in a studio setting, but which may be useful at some point in the future).

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #5 of 8 Old 07-07-2014, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias Burling View Post
I used o recomend the t3i as a good cheap entery level DSLR for video. Now days I say Panasonic G6. It has loads of videofeatures and the quality is exelent for the price.
http://www.eoshd.com/content/10824/p...-the-gh2-redux

I would have recommended it too - but it is almost impossible to find one for less than $500.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-07-2014, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post
I would have recommended it too - but it is almost impossible to find one for less than $500.
It depends on where you live. In sweden its often less than $350 and used I see them go for $150 so its hard to recomend over the borders sometime
post #7 of 8 Old 07-07-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias Burling View Post
It depends on where you live. In sweden its often less than $350 and used I see them go for $150 so its hard to recomend over the borders sometime
I meant the G6, not the T3i - I don't recommend any Canon DSLR for video
post #8 of 8 Old 07-08-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post
I meant the G6, not the T3i - I don't recommend any Canon DSLR for video
Im also talking about the G6
Reply Camcorders

Tags