SD vs DV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-13-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SD vs DV

Hi I am new to this forum and was hoping for some advice. I am re entering the world of video production after a five year hiatus. The technology seems to have changed significantly when I owned a dv JVC video camera. purchased it second hand because I could not afford a new one and because I believed that newer was not necessarily better. I recently purchased from ebay a JVC envierno m gz-mg130u. it is very lightweight and seems like a nice camera- I am wondering if this was a wise purchase as it uses an SD card. I learned camera work and editing with the DV camera and because I'm behind the technology if SD card is better than archival DV cassette. The other issue I have is that I wonder if new technology is more automatic prefer manual settings I am a novice but at the same time to have and skills to utilize manual settings.
Any and all input would be much appreciated figured out over the years that the JVC brand is the 1 that favor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-13-2014, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Welcome to the current way of recording. SD cards have been replacing DV for a few years now with a number of advantages.
1) No mechanical tape drive and heads to wear.
2) No FireWire. Most PCs do not have IEEE1394 fitted and you would need to buy a FireWire card if you updated your PC.
3) SD cards are reusable many times. You need to archive in your PC or use backup media via the PC.
4) With SD cards every shot is a file. You do not need to split the continuous stream of video into files using the timecode.

Modern Video editors accept the SD card files without any conversion and as the whole process is solid state, there is less worry about lost frames or tape misread.
SD cards are cheap when you consider that they are reusable. I only used my tapes once. I have been using the same SD card for four years now!! I use a couple of 32Gb Class 10 cards instead of one larger card in case one of the cards does fault. (not happened yet) BUT ALWAYS re-format the card in the camera.

The trend to more automation in cameras is lamentable but understandable - it sells cameras to novices. The cheaper the camera the less manual control is available. If you want a camera with more access to manual control you need to go upmarket.
BUT the automatic control for normal "point and shoot" is so good that most users leave well alone when using the camera for general filming.

I started filming in the Hi-8 days with a Sony. I moved to digital video with a Canon HV20 DV camera in 2005, changed to a Panasonic HC-V700 in 2011 and upgraded to a HC-V750 this year. Both the Panasonics use SD cards. I continue to use the 700 for second camera work or for my grandchildren to make videos.

Last edited by Terfyn; 07-13-2014 at 10:49 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-14-2014, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sorry but I don't understand your purchase. This model is about 10 years old and shoot SD video. In many ways it's obsolete. I don't know your intentions but HD video is the standard for shooting today although distribution can be made in lesser quality.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-14-2014, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I would agree: don't buy standard-def anything in 2014, unless you specifically need to play back an old format.

JVD does have some recent modern HD cameras that are not too bad. Make sure you get one that will shoot on a file format that's easy to import into an editing system so you can cut the material together. Even if it's just home movies, it's nice to have the ability to throw out all the footage you don't want and just keep the good stuff.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-14-2014, 01:09 AM

The other issue I have is that I wonder if new technology is more automatic prefer manual settings I am a novice but at the same time to have and skills to utilize manual settings.
Any and all input would be much appreciated figured out over the years that the JVC brand is the 1 that favor.

It is easy to be critical of others but we do not know if this camera was a good purchase and value for money. From what I have found, this camera has a HDD as well as SD card and I have read that the HDD may also wear.
I would also point out that my (2005) Canon HV20 was better spec'd than my Panasonic 700 and I am now catching up with the 750 which compares well to the HV20. My main concern with the HV20 was the tape drive and head which can be prone to dirt, wear and mechanical failure. I am much happier with SD cards.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-14-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I have been using SD cards to shoot videos since 2004 when a 1GB Sandisk SD card cost $499 compared to 2014 were I have seen 256GB SDXC cards for $99.99.
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/262...ndisk1gbsdcard
http://www.photographybay.com/2014/0...99-deal-alert/
post #7 of 11 Old 07-14-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
* newer cameras have more features like touch screen + spot focus and tend to be tapeless;
* flash memory is not archival grade media;
* if you hate a camera to a degree that you cannot even look at it to check model name then you probably should replace it;
* correct punctuation helps for better understanding.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-14-2014, 09:22 AM

Thumbs down

[QUOTE=Ungermann;25730969
* if you hate a camera to a degree that you cannot even look at it to check model name then you probably should replace it;
* correct punctuation helps for better understanding.[/QUOTE]

What a shame you can't be positive about another's query. Perhaps a better attitude from you would help.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post
What a shame you can't be positive about another's query. Perhaps a better attitude from you would help.
Thank you! Call me naive but I believe forums are a place to learn from others and share information- seems there is always someone who use it to be superior to others; sorry to let you down but I am not the least bit inferior and given that I can't afford New equipment I am damn proud of my willingness to be resourseful.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Welcome to the current way of recording. SD cards have been replacing DV for a few years now with a number of advantages.
1) No mechanical tape drive and heads to wear.
2) No FireWire. Most PCs do not have IEEE1394 fitted and you would need to buy a FireWire card if you updated your PC.
3) SD cards are reusable many times. You need to archive in your PC or use backup media via the PC.
4) With SD cards every shot is a file. You do not need to split the continuous stream of video into files using the timecode.

Modern Video editors accept the SD card files without any conversion and as the whole process is solid state, there is less worry about lost frames or tape misread.
SD cards are cheap when you consider that they are reusable. I only used my tapes once. I have been using the same SD card for four years now!! I use a couple of 32Gb Class 10 cards instead of one larger card in case one of the cards does fault. (not happened yet) BUT ALWAYS re-format the card in the camera.

The trend to more automation in cameras is lamentable but understandable - it sells cameras to novices. The cheaper the camera the less manual control is available. If you want a camera with more access to manual control you need to go upmarket.
BUT the automatic control for normal "point and shoot" is so good that most users leave well alone when using the camera for general filming.

I started filming in the Hi-8 days with a Sony. I moved to digital video with a Canon HV20 DV camera in 2005, changed to a Panasonic HC-V700 in 2011 and upgraded to a HC-V750 this year. Both the Panasonics use SD cards. I continue to use the 700 for second camera work or for my grandchildren to make videos.
Thank you, this is very helpful....I started on hi-8 too!
post #11 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank u!!
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page