post #31 of 36 Old 07-26-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Chris, every Panny I've ever seen has a full auto mode. But I'm sure you'll get better video quality by overriding some of the auto settings.

Further, the manual mode may be 'part manual' in that it may allow you to set an aperture and then it will automatically set the shutter speed. You can probably also set the shutter speed and it will automatically set the aperture.

Edit: Just looked at the manual and it does seem to imply that 4K is only engaged in Creative Movie Mode. But as I said before, I believe you can set one parameter and the camera will set the others. I can't go through the manual at this point, but I think you'll be OK.
Ken yes 4K and best quality AVCHD only seem available in Creative Movie Mode,this seems crazy,there are always times when leaving it in auto is best,when it changes from sun to clouds every few seconds for instance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 07-26-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Like the GH4, 4K recording on the FZ1000 is only available in Creative Movie Mode. Also, shooting stills is not possible while shooting in 4K. But, of course, any frame of a 4K recording can be extracted to produce a 8 megapixel still. On the GH4, stills from 4K footage can even be extracted in-camera. I havn't read the FZ1000 manual to see if in-camera extraction is possible.
post #33 of 36 Old 07-26-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Further, the manual mode may be 'part manual' in that it may allow you to set an aperture and then it will automatically set the shutter speed. You can probably also set the shutter speed and it will automatically set the aperture.
Are you talking about still cameras or camcorders? Because the way the camcorders work is:

* full auto
* you select shutter speed, the camcorder selects aperture + ND --> this is shutter priority mode
* you select shutter speed then [virtual] aperture, where aperture value takes into account ND. If you change shutter speed, the camcorder unlocks aperture, switching back to shutter priority.

Maybe the recent models allow aperture priority mode, but I don't know about it.
post #34 of 36 Old 07-27-2014, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD90 View Post
Like the GH4, 4K recording on the FZ1000 is only available in Creative Movie Mode. Also, shooting stills is not possible while shooting in 4K. But, of course, any frame of a 4K recording can be extracted to produce a 8 megapixel still. On the GH4, stills from 4K footage can even be extracted in-camera. I havn't read the FZ1000 manual to see if in-camera extraction is possible.
But with the GH4 recording 4K video you dont have to be continually on manual recording altering the aperture in fast changing light do you,i have two other FZ models and they both have a creative video mode but when on creative video mode yo choose P which is Programn AE the same as auto,A aperture priority,S shutter and M full manual,i find it hard to believe the FZ1000 wont have the same options.

Last edited by flintyplus; 07-27-2014 at 01:00 AM.
post #35 of 36 Old 07-27-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post
But with the GH4 recording 4K video you dont have to be continually on manual recording altering the aperture in fast changing light do you
To get the sharpest, lowest grain 4K movies possible when shooting outdoors with the GH4 I set the aperture value typically to around f5.0 while in Aperture priority mode and I set the ISO to 200 with an upper bound limit of 800. Then I move the mode dial to Movie mode and start filming in 4K. The camera will then shoot the 4K movie at the f5.0 aperture value and an ISO value of between 200-800. I would guess the FZ1000 works the same way.

Last edited by SD90; 07-27-2014 at 07:29 PM.
post #36 of 36 Old 07-27-2014, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
On the Sony AX100, many of us here do the opposite. We almost always lock the shutter up at 1/50 or 1/60 depending on where we live, set the gain control limit at some specific level depending on the circumstances we are shooting in, set the built-in ND to off or auto and let the camera vary the iris.

I've tried setting the shutter at 1/100 and faster for the 4K/25p and found the footage in high contrast scenes unusable with stutters and flickers even when panning or moving the camera very slowly. In dimmer light or in low contrast scenes, sometimes I can get by with 1/100 but that's the conditions that normally require slower shutter anyway.
Reply Camcorders
Gear in this thread - AX100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page