Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-03-2014, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for a new video camera

Hey all!

I'm currently looking for a new camcorder. At the moment I have an old Sony DCR-TRW30E. It's quite a good camera, and back in the day it was Sony's top model and was very expensive. Unfortunately, it's a little bit outdated. It records to a tape and doesn't have as high resolution as newer cameras do. I also have a Canon 60D with a good lens, but in my opinion the video quality is poor. Also, the lack of autofocus for homevideos is not good.

So, I have a few options. Sony has the new FDR-AX100 that records 4K and it's little brother HDR-CX900 that is the 1080p variant of the same camera. Canon has the HF G30 that is also a 1080p camera.

I have read a lot of reviews of these and all of them have their good sides and bad sides. For the Sony models people say the autofocus is slow because of the large sensor. But because of the larger sensor it can capture more light and should be better in low light even though the Canon's lens has a wider aperture.

At the moment I don't have a 4K screen or TV. Still, would a 4K camera be more "future proof"? So, paying premium for the 4K recording over the CX900, is it worth it? Compared to the Canon, how do they compare?

Thoughts, ideas and suggestions are welcome. I'd like to hear your opinions on the cameras and your own experiences. Thanks!

Last edited by MikkoP90; 08-03-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-03-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Sony has the new FDR-AX100 that records 4K and it's little brother HDR-AX100 that is the 1080p variant of the same camera.
So, paying premium for the 4K recording over the CX900, is it worth it?
I think you mean HDR-CX900 . For me today I would not get a 1080p camcorder if you want to be future proof . Even on my 30" 1600p monitors 4K beats 1080p and on my 4K UHD 2160p TV it's not even close. Here is a comparison from my other post :
Is 1080p HD more detailed than 4K?
post #3 of 3 Old 08-03-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
I think you mean HDR-CX900 . For me today I would not get a 1080p camcorder if you want to be future proof . Even on my 30" 1600p monitors 4K beats 1080p and on my 4K UHD 2160p TV it's not even close. Here is a comparison from my other post :
Is 1080p HD more detailed than 4K?
Upps! Yes, I mean the CX900. My bad Corrected it in the original post. Thanks.

You are right, 4K is many times more detailed. Well, four times. But I was just wondering whether it's so good at the moment that it's worth buying. Will the market explode of 4K consumer camcorders in the near future that will make my AX100 look bad? Of course technology evolves, but that much maybe?

So, basically this question would have been better as HDR-CX900 vs HF G30. Then I would just decide whether I think I need 4K or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page