Focus/Image Stabilization Issues on Canon Vixia HF10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-04-2014, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Focus/Image Stabilization Issues on Canon Vixia HF10

I have been using the Canon Vixia HF10 to record a musical excerpt for a musician friend. The focus seems so sensitive that when he moves even the slightest amount while playing, the focus goes in and out rapidly. (He is seated when playing.)

I tried adjusting auto focus from "instant" to "normal"; however, that has not made any noticeable difference. Has anyone had similar issues with this camcorder? It is unnerving, especially because all the other qualities are great.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

SG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Use manual focus, autofocus fails under some circumstances. The explanation of how to use it is provided on page 50 of the manual.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-05-2014, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

AutoFocus

Thank you, I didn't realize there was a way of disabling autofocus. I could not find that option in the menus; all I came across was the type of autofocus (i.e. instant or normal).

SG
post #4 of 10 Old 08-05-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
Use manual focus, autofocus fails under some circumstances. The explanation of how to use it is provided on page 50 of the manual.
Tried the manual focus. It improved only slightly; the small movements still cause the focus to go in and out quickly enough for it to be distracting. Any other suggestions as to what else to try or is it just the nature of this particular camcorder?
post #5 of 10 Old 08-05-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Focus will be locked if you use manual focus, the camera won't change it. If it appears to be changing, then either you are moving the camera about or you have a really shallow depth of field and your subject is moving in and out of the focus range. Check the aperture and stop it down to increase the depth of field if that is the case. Depending on your light levels that might create additional problems with noise, then you would have to decide if you want to live with the depth of field issues or the noise issues.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-05-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronka View Post
I have been using the Canon Vixia HF10 to record a musical excerpt for a musician friend. The focus seems so sensitive that when he moves even the slightest amount while playing, the focus goes in and out rapidly. (He is seated when playing.)

I tried adjusting auto focus from "instant" to "normal"; however, that has not made any noticeable difference. Has anyone had similar issues with this camcorder? It is unnerving, especially because all the other qualities are great.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

SG
I had an HF10 years ago and never experienced that. Sounds defective.

If the symptom happens, you can try turning off, then on the camcorder - see if it goes away.
You could also try a "factory reset"/instructions are in the manual - if don't have, can get pdf from Canon site.

If it doesn't go away, It's not worth sending it in for repair as you can pick up a refurbished HF R300 or R400 camcorder, with more advanced technology than that older model, for the less than the cost of having Canon or a repair shop fix it.

The manual focus on the HF10 via the joystick is a PITA and would not want to have to do that on any regular basis. It's not very accurate/easy to miss the focus mark.

Last edited by xfws; 08-05-2014 at 06:22 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-05-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Cycle through features like MF/AF and Exposure by flicking the joystick down. Switch between manual and auto for the selected feature by flicking the joystick up, you will see "MF" on the screen as indication of manual focus, "AF" for autofocus.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-08-2014, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

After much in the way of trials and tribulations, I found that the problem was caused by using an analog monitor connector instead of an HDMI one! Who would have thought?

Thank you so much for all of your time and efforts to help out!

Regards,
Seth
post #9 of 10 Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 29
???
post #10 of 10 Old 08-08-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Difference in analog vs digital video output to aux monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
???
There are two cables that came with the HF10: an analog with the three colored RCA ends going into a 3.5mm jack and one HDMI cable.

Ostensibly, the quick incessant blurring that was seen on the auxiliary monitor went away when I switched from the analog RCA cable to the HDMI. (I did not bother watching the playback on the built-in monitor at first because it was too tiny to my liking.)

I have no idea why this would make much difference, but it did.
Reply Camcorders

Tags
canon vixia hf 10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page