Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-05-2014, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
remote viewing and control from 20ft+

I am a Newb
I am creating an endzone camera system for my football team.

My tower can extend as high as 29ft. (but i can use as little as 16ft or so)

I will use a Pan and Tilt control. (Bescor MP101 Video Motorized Pan Head)

trying to stay under $800 for camera and monitor.

Lanc controls seem to be hard to find/ and or extend more than a few feet.

Am I better off with a wireless remote control with RF extender and some LCD monitor or a camera with WiFi/ NFC connectivity and an Ipad?

I have been looking at Panasonic V250, V550, Canon hf R50, and Sony CX330.

Any input from people who know a lot more than me would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-05-2014, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Panasonic HC-V750 is probably a better camera, it has NFC and they do a pan and tilt using the NFC to control the pan/tilt and a USB connection between the camera and the VW-CTR1
The NFC includes a monitor on your smartphone which is adequate for framing, plus it gives you zoom control, recording control and pan/tilt control.
For decent monitor pictures the A/V out will drive most monitors with a composite video in or HDMI out for more upmarket monitors. I use a car entertainment DVD player with A/V in for my monitoring.

I have seen the V550 plus the VW-CTR1 as a package on Amazon.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-05-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply.

That looks great for panasonic.

So do i even need a monitor if i use an ipad to remotely control pan, tilt, and camera? if that is the case, this is wonderful news.
i do not need a fantastic camera, (although i do like to shoot at 60fps) but these seem wonderful.

With clear line of sight (20 ft or so) would that be too far for the NFC?
post #4 of 8 Old 08-05-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daman_daman View Post
thanks for the reply.

So do i even need a monitor if i use an ipad to remotely control pan, tilt, and camera? if that is the case, this is wonderful news.
i do not need a fantastic camera, (although i do like to shoot at 60fps) but these seem wonderful.

Good question!! I know that NFC does not work through walls but direct line of sight? Will test it out and post back.
The Panasonic app will control pan and tilt as well as zoom, record and playback. To check this out, download the User Manual for, say, the 550 or 750 and check out the instruction set which is at the end of the manual. Also check that the VW-CTR1 will give you all the movement you need. It does have certain limits which may not be what you want.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-05-2014, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post
Good question!! I know that NFC does not work through walls but direct line of sight? Will test it out and post back.
The Panasonic app will control pan and tilt as well as zoom, record and playback. To check this out, download the User Manual for, say, the 550 or 750 and check out the instruction set which is at the end of the manual. Also check that the VW-CTR1 will give you all the movement you need. It does have certain limits which may not be what you want.
I have checked the user manuals as well as multiple forums and youtube channels on the image app and it looks to be exactly what i need, but cannot find anything on the range. i will try to ask panasonic and if all else fails maybe get a wireless router to extend the range. but thanks for all the advice. It seems great.

Also i have checked the v250 out and there seems to be little difference between it and the v550. $150 more for 550 and not much else. But any more advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
post #6 of 8 Old 08-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by daman_daman View Post
thanks for the reply.

nfc (apple products dont have it) is just when u touch a device to the camcorder to activate the wifi. the wifi is what makes the connection, and i think 20 feet will be ok. keep in mind there will be a 1/2 second delay from what you see on the ipad tho
post #7 of 8 Old 08-06-2014, 01:52 AM

I set the camera up inside (raining outside) connected NFC and I could control the camera from18-20ft. It was a bit unnerving as the screen occasionally went blank and it took a couple of seconds to recover but it could be controlled.
A lot may depend on the smartphone and its receiver/transmitter as the distance will be affected by the power output. I was using a Samsung Mini phone.
Hope this is of some help.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-06-2014, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishywishy View Post
nfc (apple products dont have it) is just when u touch a device to the camcorder to activate the wifi. the wifi is what makes the connection, and i think 20 feet will be ok. keep in mind there will be a 1/2 second delay from what you see on the ipad tho
Thanks for the clarification. I will make sure to work with it some to get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post
I set the camera up inside (raining outside) connected NFC and I could control the camera from18-20ft. It was a bit unnerving as the screen occasionally went blank and it took a couple of seconds to recover but it could be controlled.
A lot may depend on the smartphone and its receiver/transmitter as the distance will be affected by the power output. I was using a Samsung Mini phone.
Hope this is of some help.

This is great help, thanks. panasonic has not gotten back with me, but every time i have a question i come here and everyone is very helpful.
Reply Camcorders

Tags
canon hf r50 , panasonic v250 , sony cx330 , v550 , wifi nfc
Gear in this thread - v550 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page