Looking for camcorder for specific application. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for camcorder for specific application.

I am new to the world of high end filming. Rather than ask a vague question like “what's a good camera?”, I figured I'd start out listing what I am doing and my priorities, so I could perhaps get a more useful suggestion. Right now I am using the cheapest JVC Everio that was out two years ago and am looking to get something better in the $500-$2000 range. Here are some examples of the type of video I am creating.

I am looking for a camera to be used for repair videos. The camera will be stationed to my side, or over my shoulder, so you can see what I am working on, alongside an HDMI microscope camera. The resulting video will be a split screen view at times between the camcorder and the microscope camera. I already found an excellent microscope camera, now all I need is a standard camcorder and a better tripod.

I do not need high speed capture, 29.97 FPS is more than enough for me. I will be using it with a new tripod most of the time. I want something with a relatively quick setup as these videos usually get done on my work time; many of them would not get done if I had to put real work into setting up the camera. Anything that requires complex setup is out, even if better quality video would come of it, because the video would not be produced. I'm fairly new to high end video so a camera with many options may be wasted on me since I might not really understand many of them.

I'd like for detail to come out on small components because the key to these videos are the numerous components that are close to one another, the location of a wire I am pulling up, etc. I would like good performance on little areas that get blacked out or hidden with the everio – detail is important.

I don't care much for that DSLR effect where everything that isn't the object of focus is out of focus. While that is amazing for cinema movies, it has no place in this type of educational video.

I'd appreciate an SDI output since I have an SDI capture card, and also would need audio input of some kind to plug something into. Whether the camera only accepts line level input, or has its own microphone preamp, I can work with it either way - so long as it is something I can work with. I have a Crown CM-311 I bought to up the audio quality in the videos.

Any other suggestions appreciated. I am looking to up my game here, and I understand there are many factors outside the camera that will affect the quality of the end product.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
My suggestion is that you look at the Panasonic HC-V720. I don't have one, but I think it has a mic input and a few "automatic" modes that will do a good job for you.

Places like B&H in New York have terrific customer service policies that include 30 day "no questions asked" return policies. If it were me, I would phone or write them an email that says you want to try your choice of camera for your specific use. If it does not work, you can send it back.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
My suggestion is that you look at the Panasonic HC-V720. I don't have one, but I think it has a mic input and a few "automatic" modes that will do a good job for you.

Places like B&H in New York have terrific customer service policies that include 30 day "no questions asked" return policies. If it were me, I would phone or write them an email that says you want to try your choice of camera for your specific use. If it does not work, you can send it back.
Agree with that but perhaps the 750 would be a bit better. It will focus down to 6" (this replaces the "macro" option of the 700) and has a mic input plus phones output. There is a larger range of "automatic" modes that could be tailored to your specific needs.
I agree with bsprague that the 720 will do an excellent job but the 750 may do it a bit better.
Both cameras will need an attenuating lead for Line Input, a 33db attenuation should be enough. I use a SESCOM lead from headphone out sockets to the mic input of my HC-V750.

Last edited by Terfyn; 08-19-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thender88 View Post
I am new to the world of high end filming. Rather than ask a vague question like “what's a good camera?”, I figured I'd start out listing what I am doing and my priorities, so I could perhaps get a more useful suggestion. Right now I am using the cheapest JVC Everio that was out two years ago and am looking to get something better in the $500-$2000 range. Here are some examples of the type of video I am creating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXiCjLias1w https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsdzDTjPukU

I am looking for a camera to be used for repair videos. The camera will be stationed to my side, or over my shoulder, so you can see what I am working on, alongside an HDMI microscope camera. The resulting video will be a split screen view at times between the camcorder and the microscope camera. I already found an excellent microscope camera, now all I need is a standard camcorder and a better tripod.

I do not need high speed capture, 29.97 FPS is more than enough for me. I will be using it with a new tripod most of the time. I want something with a relatively quick setup as these videos usually get done on my work time; many of them would not get done if I had to put real work into setting up the camera. Anything that requires complex setup is out, even if better quality video would come of it, because the video would not be produced. I'm fairly new to high end video so a camera with many options may be wasted on me since I might not really understand many of them.

I'd like for detail to come out on small components because the key to these videos are the numerous components that are close to one another, the location of a wire I am pulling up, etc. I would like good performance on little areas that get blacked out or hidden with the everio – detail is important.

I don't care much for that DSLR effect where everything that isn't the object of focus is out of focus. While that is amazing for cinema movies, it has no place in this type of educational video.

I'd appreciate an SDI output since I have an SDI capture card, and also would need audio input of some kind to plug something into. Whether the camera only accepts line level input, or has its own microphone preamp, I can work with it either way - so long as it is something I can work with. I have a Crown CM-311 I bought to up the audio quality in the videos.

Any other suggestions appreciated. I am looking to up my game here, and I understand there are many factors outside the camera that will affect the quality of the end product.

Thanks!!
I've got a JVC GR-SXM527U camcorder,Digital, 400x zoom, with case, remote, manual, charger.............could use some new batteries.........9.00 ea

Richard
Old 08-19-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 75

The Panasonic 4K Wearable Camera HX-A500 looks like it should work for your type of videos IMHO.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! Besides the VHS one.

Is SDI out possible at the $2000 or under price point, or a pipe dream?
Old 08-19-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If you're trying to live stream what your shooting than one suggestion would be to get yourself an HDMI input card or external device for your computer. Their are also converter units that has SDI on one end and HDMI on the other end.

Do you really need to live stream?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
If you're trying to live stream what your shooting than one suggestion would be to get yourself an HDMI input card or external device for your computer. Their are also converter units that has SDI on one end and HDMI on the other end.

Do you really need to live stream?
HDMI would work as well, and actually be preferable because the microscope camera is HDMI out and this would save me from buying one of those converter boxes. The dual SDI capture card I found was $450, the dual HDMI I found was $1800. Due to the price difference I was hoping to find an SDI camera. Do you have any dual HDMI capture cards to recommend, something that can capture two streams at once? I saw an 820e for $1800 but was hoping to spend less than that on a capture card!

I want to have a sync'd up camera/microphone track and microscope track so that you can see overall view, and microscope view, at many times in the video, so yes. It is the reason I am upgrading the setup at all. Sometimes you may see just the microscope, sometimes just the camera, sometimes both in a split screen view, but it is a necessary part of the future video producing process.

I found a Panasonic AG-AF100A used in great condition for $1900 with lens. Is this something that would be fitting for my application? It seems to retail for $3300+ without lens.. so I am about to jump on it.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post
Agree with that but perhaps the 750 would be a bit better. It will focus down to 6" (this replaces the "macro" option of the 700) and has a mic input plus phones output. There is a larger range of "automatic" modes that could be tailored to your specific needs.
I agree with bsprague that the 720 will do an excellent job but the 750 may do it a bit better.
Both cameras will need an attenuating lead for Line Input, a 33db attenuation should be enough. I use a SESCOM lead from headphone out sockets to the mic input of my HC-V750.
I created a "typo". I meant to suggest the current 750 and mistakenly wrote 720.