• 1 Post By markr041

post #1 of 21 Old 08-21-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Samsung Galaxy S5 on 3-Axis Digital Stabilizer

It's here: 3-axis external digital stabilizing at least as good as the Sony B.O.S.S. for cell phones. But no image degradation. 'Balancing' is automatic and take 3 seconds. Ready to go for one-handed stable video, and even stable video while walking (yet to come with practice).

Here is 4K video made with the Galaxy and the Ikan X3:

https://vimeo.com/104038242

Video frame grabs:

Last edited by markr041; 08-21-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-22-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Nice, Mark. It might be useful to link to the external stabilizer device used. I believe you did in the other thread, but it would be helpful for readers here...especially after seeing how effective it is!

Stabile 4K footage in a pinch. What could be bad?
post #3 of 21 Old 08-22-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Nice, Mark. It might be useful to link to the external stabilizer device used. I believe you did in the other thread, but it would be helpful for readers here...especially after seeing how effective it is!

Stabile 4K footage in a pinch. What could be bad?

The one I used is

http://flyx3.com/

$269 at B&H and Adorama.

Extra batteries are less than $6, and last for two-hours of shooting.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #4 of 21 Old 08-23-2014, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What's the range of weight/size capacities Mark? The website doesn't mention anything much. Is it faster to set up (balance calibration) compared to conventional mechanical steadycams?
post #5 of 21 Old 08-23-2014, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
What's the range of weight/size capacities Mark? The website doesn't mention anything much. Is it faster to set up (balance calibration) compared to conventional mechanical steadycams?

1. Up to 7 ounces, largest size (dimensions) is Galaxy S5 (which is only 5.5 oz). There are other similar devices that may take slightly-larger cellphones, and there are ones specifically for GoPros.

2. Set-up - that's the great advantage: setup is automatic and takes 3 seconds. You insert the phone, turn it on placing the device on a flat surface and it automatically balances. Done. Ready to shoot.

These devices completely dominate mechanical steadycams, for small cameras, since they are also cheaper!
post #6 of 21 Old 08-23-2014, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
That sounds like a godsend. Even at twice the price.

Normally on mechanical steadycams the lighter and more compact dimensions, the harder to balance. And even if it's gotten to the optimal static balance, it's always invariably hard to keep the framing steady when moving around. It is a system whose underlying physics favors mass and dimensions apart from the operator's skill.

I sure will give it a try when one is available in my area as nothing has worked satisfactorily with my 4K cellphones until now.
post #7 of 21 Old 08-23-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Free hand Jacksonville and Miami from my S5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyatt Jacksonville.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	226065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brickell.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	226073  
post #8 of 21 Old 08-24-2014, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Moving with the Samsung on the stabilizer in 4K

Here we go: following a willing participant through a street fair, moving through the crowd, and looking at some goodies at the fair. Really using a steadicam aside from eliminating shakes:

https://vimeo.com/104212164

One can do moving videographer video better no doubt with some practice, but these initial results look promising.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-24-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
....... but these initial results look promising.
It showed up in my Vimeo feed at 6 am on the Oregon coast! I've watched it twice already. I'm impressed.

A month or so ago, there was a guy that did a stabilized shoot of a surfer and put it on Vimeo. I think the camera was a GH4. The gear he had to use was huge, heavy and expensive. I can't find the surfer clip, but your cheap kit seems to measure up very well.

About the time I think you're running out of new and different things to try, you bowl me over with something unexpected.

Keep up the good work!
post #10 of 21 Old 08-24-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Mark, that's just amazing. I donwloaded the 4K version. Who would have thought you could get this kind of stability from such an inherently shaky device like a cellphone!

Now coupled with 4K, this is really nice stuff for many on a budget. Even if not on a budget and you want something small & light, it's great. Of course the cellphone PQ limitations are still there, but you'd be hard pressed to find better quality from any other cellphone.

How 'visible' do you feel when using this setup as you navigate through the crowd? As I watched the video it was apparent that some people certainly noticed you and others were pretty oblivious.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-24-2014, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Mark, that's just amazing. I donwloaded the 4K version. Who would have thought you could get this kind of stability from such an inherently shaky device like a cellphone!

Now coupled with 4K, this is really nice stuff for many on a budget. Even if not on a budget and you want something small & light, it's great. Of course the cellphone PQ limitations are still there, but you'd be hard pressed to find better quality from any other cellphone.

How 'visible' do you feel when using this setup as you navigate through the crowd? As I watched the video it was apparent that some people certainly noticed you and others were pretty oblivious.

I think that I was no more conspicuous than if I just had the cellphone or any camcorder. The person I was following was a collaborator (who smiles for the camera so no one thinks I was a stalker!). But in the other shots if I was noticed it was either because I was standing in the middle of the street obviously shooting, which would have been true with just the phone pointing out, or walking through fast holding camera/stabilizer up, which would also have been true if I just had a camera, no matter how small. Essentially the camera on the device just looks like a camera with a handle, which is pretty innocent looking.

With all of my cameras I sometimes get noticed. When that happens I usually edit those out (by noticed I just mean staring at the camera). In the case of walking through the crowd, editing out instances of noticing is not possible.

In short, this combo is a dream run-n-gun alternative, giving the added advantage of being able to do moving-videographer shots, in 4K. Or, if one needs a cellphone anyway, adding this device gives you true cheapskate 4K video.
post #12 of 21 Old 08-24-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Good videos Mark, thanks for posting! The ikan X3 looks like a nice small piece of hardware. Were you holding the setup at head height or above a couple times, or are you pretty tall?

BTW..do you think the 3d Bloggie would fit the ikan? The specs state it would be very close to possibly fitting.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #13 of 21 Old 08-25-2014, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post
Good videos Mark, thanks for posting! The ikan X3 looks like a nice small piece of hardware. Were you holding the setup at head height or above a couple times, or are you pretty tall?

BTW..do you think the 3d Bloggie would fit the ikan? The specs state it would be very close to possibly fitting.

Thanks. I sometimes held it up above my head. I will see if the Bloggie fits when I get back.
post #14 of 21 Old 08-25-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More experimentation with the 3-axis gimbal

Following people, following action - and a circle-around a playing pianist in Washington Square Park, NYC.

https://vimeo.com/104311049

Video frame grabs:

tingham likes this.
post #15 of 21 Old 08-25-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The 3D Bloggie fits and balances

Quote:

It does fit and the device seems to auto-adjust to it fine. You have to turn the Bloggie on before inserting, as the clip covers the top where the on-off switch is. The stereo mic on top is uncovered and lcd and video button and the two lenses are fully exposed. The Bloggie is very light; I am not sure how that affects the stabilization; could be better as less stress on motors.
post #16 of 21 Old 08-25-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Mark,

Yes, nice job on the videos. Looks like the stabilizer is doing a pretty good job and for a decent price.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #17 of 21 Old 08-25-2014, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post
Mark,

Yes, nice job on the videos. Looks like the stabilizer is doing a pretty good job and for a decent price.

Thanks. It is useful to keep in mind that I have little experience using steadicams, and there are techniques to learn. For example, I just learned that walking with one's knees slightly bent further reduces bounce. These videos show at a minimum what you can achieve.
post #18 of 21 Old 08-26-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
It does fit and the device seems to auto-adjust to it fine. You have to turn the Bloggie on before inserting, as the clip covers the top where the on-off switch is. The stereo mic on top is uncovered and lcd and video button and the two lenses are fully exposed. The Bloggie is very light; I am not sure how that affects the stabilization; could be better as less stress on motors.

Thanks for the replies Mark and for checking that out for me. I was not sure if you still had the bloggie. While I was looking at the bloggie and pictures of the ikan, all that you have stated has confirmed my thoughts on how the two would work together. I was mostly concerned that the 2 1/4 width of the bloggie would be iffy when attaching it to the ikan.

If I purchase the ikan it could perform double duty with the bloggie, just for starters. The ikan will make a BIG difference with the bloggie, as you well know.

I might go the cheap 4k route since I have a phone upgrade coming soon. Yours and other members 4K footage looks so good I don't think I can resist much longer.

The Probox media player that you posted about (thanks) looks good for hooking up to my big screen to watch the footage. I already have Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 so I'm all set there for 4k edits.

post #19 of 21 Old 08-26-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cheapskate 4K video

Quote:
Thanks for the replies Mark and for checking that out for me. I was not sure if you still had the bloggie. While I was looking at the bloggie and pictures of the ikan, all that you have stated has confirmed my thoughts on how the two would work together. I was mostly concerned that the 2 1/4 width of the bloggie would be iffy when attaching it to the ikan.

If I purchase the ikan it could perform double duty with the bloggie, just for starters. The ikan will make a BIG difference with the bloggie, as you well know.

I might go the cheap 4k route since I have a phone upgrade coming soon. Yours and other members 4K footage looks so good I don't think I can resist much longer.

The Probox media player that you posted about (thanks) looks good for hooking up to my big screen to watch the footage. I already have Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 so I'm all set there for 4k edits.

If you want to go the full 4K cheapskate route and do not have a 4K TV or monitor, you might consider the $339 Seiki 4K 39" TV. It is surprisingly good. It makes a great 4K monitor as well (and a 39" 4K monitor is actually useful for work).

4K phone, ikan X3, ProBox2 EX, and Seiki 39" 4K TV and you are at the cutting edge with little investment. SMSP 13 is also a real bargain for 4K editing.
post #20 of 21 Old 08-26-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Link to Bloggie 3D Video on ikan X3

First try.
tingham likes this.
post #21 of 21 Old 08-26-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

^Wow, now that's stability. What a differance! Excellent!

Thanks Mark! I'm aware of the Seiki. I have seen it on sale for $299 or even a little less a couple of times. It's something for me to think about.

Man, I finally upgraded my tv to a Panasonic 3D plasma 1.5 years ago, and also got direct 1080/60p playback thru the sd card slot on the tv,(how long did some of us struggle with that), and now I feel like I will have to start over again with 4K.

From what I've seen 4k tv's out there are not too bad price wise for the technology. It's just that I spent all that money a year and a half ago on what I have now.

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page