• 2 Post By markr041

post #1 of 20 Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Best 4K Video from My AX100, GH4, A500, Galaxy S5

Here is a collection consisting of one 4K video from each of my 4K cameras that shows off what I think each does best. All stream at 1080 and the original 4K videos are downloadable (all are 100Mbps XAVC S 4K).

First, the Sony AX100 - great all-around 4K camera with a long zoom (that you can actually zoom) and a big enough sensor for low light and shallow dof when you want it. Perfect for travel:

https://vimeo.com/100464201

Video frame grab:

Next, the Panasonic GH4. For family events - families enjoy the video but want stills. This is the stills camera that does 4K video. But with the right lens it can take 4K video in low light better than anything (without an external appendage), using the Nocticron f1.2 stabilized lens (5.4X light admitted relative to an f2.8). So, great for museums and also shallow dof shots:

https://vimeo.com/102891300

Video frame grab:

The Panasonic A500 "Action Cam" can be mounted on anything, but besides that it takes amazing 4K vistas with its ultra wide-angle lens, in great color. For example, at the beach:

https://vimeo.com/102671758

Video frame grab:

And then there's the Samsung Galaxy S5. Everyone needs a phone. But then we discovered one can put it on a cheap, small 3-axis gimbal with no fuss and do amazing things you cannot do with any of the above, in 4K. And the quality is good:

https://vimeo.com/104311049

Video frame grab:

So, what's my favorite of the above? The Panasonic A500 beach video! On a large (preferably 4K) TV it is simply stunning, giving you views better than your eyes (more breadth) in sharp terrific color. The clouds!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi Mark.

They all look great, although I do prefer the AX. It seems a bit more open and natural as per my personal taste.

Cheers,
Dave.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Mark,

Nice job and well done, You've shown all your gear in the 4K campaign have merit. You have succeeded at getting beyond the "yours is crap, mine is better" mentality.

I continue to learn from you. You've put a lot of time and effort into your 4K education program here. Thank you for that.

Bill
post #4 of 20 Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
IMHO, the 4K winner for outdoor shooting is the FZ1000. Produces a brighter, more lively video image than the AX100 and with slightly more realistically accurate colors than the GH4. The bargain price is icing on the cake. Although the FZ1000 is not likely to have the durability of a GH4, it has a 1 year warranty on both parts and labor whereas the AX100 only has a 90 day warranty on labor.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD90 View Post
IMHO, the 4K winner for outdoor shooting is the FZ1000......
In my not so humble opinion, I'm finding winners in all of them. Differences, yes. Loosers, no. Anybody with video shooting and editing skills will be able to create stunning work with all of them.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-27-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1381
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harry View Post
Hi Mark.

They all look great, although I do prefer the AX. It seems a bit more open and natural as per my personal taste.

Cheers,
Dave.
Kind of my feeling too, but I do like the Panasonic A500 has a 2nd place camera. My only problem is having a hard time getting past the distortion. But that's always been my issue with very wide angle lenses.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-27-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Kind of my feeling too, but I do like the Panasonic A500 has a 2nd place camera. My only problem is having a hard time getting past the distortion. But that's always been my issue with very wide angle lenses.
My problem is that Lightroom got me pumped up (again!) on photography. The AX would be my next $2000 purchase if I was not compelled to collect RAW fixed images. As much as I like shooting a camcorder, I'm compelled to spend on dual purpose devices. I won't carry two cameras. My DW would divorce me or at least leave me behind on her trips.

It started with the HX9V which was nearly perfect for me. Then I decided I needed the RX100 to create RAW files for Lightroom. And now it is a GX7 because it has a "larger" sensor and can hold a very long telephoto lens allowing me to pretend I'm shooting for National Geographic.

I'm going to Alaska next week. The bears better be posing.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-27-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
My problem is that Lightroom got me pumped up (again!) on photography. The AX would be my next $2000 purchase if I was not compelled to collect RAW fixed images. As much as I like shooting a camcorder, I'm compelled to spend on dual purpose devices. I won't carry two cameras. My DW would divorce me or at least leave me behind on her trips.

It started with the HX9V which was nearly perfect for me. Then I decided I needed the RX100 to create RAW files for Lightroom. And now it is a GX7 because it has a "larger" sensor and can hold a very long telephoto lens allowing me to pretend I'm shooting for National Geographic.

Surely you need a 4K action cam for your snowboarding? And, what I really expect you to get into - drones and remote aerial videography!
post #9 of 20 Old 08-27-2014, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
The AX would be my next $2000 purchase if I was not compelled to collect RAW fixed images. As much as I like shooting a camcorder, I'm compelled to spend on dual purpose devices. I won't carry two cameras. My DW would divorce me or at least leave me behind on her trips.
Quote:
And now it is a GX7 because it has a "larger" sensor and can hold a very long telephoto lens allowing me to pretend I'm shooting for National Geographic.

What are your thoughts on the new Panasonic FZ1000? It would seem to do most of what you're looking for in one package.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-27-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bill, I can't think of a more photogenic area than Alaska. We took that trip a few years ago and I still think it was our best trip ever. It would have been great to have my AX100 with me at that time! I did get a clip of a nursing bear in the fields. Quite a sight! We also took a helicopter to land on one of the glaciers as well as a small plane around the summit of Mt. McKinley. I want to go back! Guaranteed you'll have a great time.

When I last looked back on the edited video, it still looked good even in 'lowly HD'.
post #11 of 20 Old 08-27-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJInstitute View Post
What are your thoughts on the new Panasonic FZ1000? It would seem to do most of what you're looking for in one package.
If I were trying to buy a camera right now, the FZ1000 would be very high on my short list. I'm not shopping because I have so much fine gear right now. A new camera of any sort would get in the way.

My personal issue for decades is that my lust for new gear gets in the way of developing my image making skills. In other words I've allowed my left brain to develop for 68 years at the expense of my right brain. I want to spend a few years reversing that if I can.

I love pushing buttons. But, I want to see if I can make art! It is a personal thing.

And while I'm on my soap box, I think I've learned that making "artful" video is exponentially harder than artful photos.
post #12 of 20 Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Bill, I can't think of a more photogenic area than Alaska. We took that trip a few years ago and I still think it was our best trip ever. It would have been great to have my AX100 with me at that time! I did get a clip of a nursing bear in the fields. Quite a sight! We also took a helicopter to land on one of the glaciers as well as a small plane around the summit of Mt. McKinley. I want to go back! Guaranteed you'll have a great time.

When I last looked back on the edited video, it still looked good even in 'lowly HD'.
One of the fortunate opportunities I stumbled into was being a small aircraft salesman. Alaska was part of my responsibility for about a dozen years. One trip was delivering a new float plane to Anchorage from Seattle. We never got above a 1000 feet due to cloud cover. Another trip had us moving three airplanes from Anchorage to Fairbanks. We joined up in a formation for a trip past McKinley. The unfortunate part of the fortunate job was that my photography habits were in remission because I was pissed at the demise of film!

With any luck at all, my DW and I will be hooking up with some RV friends and drive the Highway in our motorhomes. This time I'll have some decent photo gear.

Bill
post #13 of 20 Old 08-27-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
Surely you need a 4K action cam for your snowboarding? And, what I really expect you to get into - drones and remote aerial videography!
That's a good idea! I don't know why I didn't think of it myself.

On edit, after thinking about it, I started a thread on that subject last April: DJI Phantom 2 Vision+

Last edited by bsprague; 08-27-2014 at 03:28 PM.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-28-2014, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pocket drone for Action Cams

Quote:
That's a good idea! I don't know why I didn't think of it myself.

On edit, after thinking about it, I started a thread on that subject last April: DJI Phantom 2 Vision+

I think the reason that drone thread died is that the drone is way too large and way too expensive.

But now, there is something much more affordable and pocketable, and works with any action cam:

http://www.thepocketdrone.com/

Indeed, in investigating drones I found the 3-axis stabilizer, because the stabilizer and the drones use the same technology - brushless motors, gyroscope, etc.

Last edited by markr041; 08-28-2014 at 06:25 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 08-28-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a friend with a DJI Phantom Vision 2 and he gets reliable flying, good pictures and good videos. Another friend bought a cheaper Rotor Concept Discovery Quad. He's crashed both times he tried to fly it, has sent it off for repairs and has yet to mount his brand new GoPro.

A couple more acquaintances in the RV park I'm in are flying them even though the resort rules prohibit the use of remote control aircraft and (oddly) kites.

The Phantom Vision 2+ that I like the best is relatively expensive at $1300 at B&H and includes a specialized camera. The smaller one you found is pre-order at $600 but you need a GoPro for another $400. Still not "cheap".

Private use robot camera sales will either soar or crash (puns intended) depending on how the FAA and other regulators try to figure them out. Private use and commercial use differences seem to be confounding them.

Another friend is consulting for a Oregon entity that is coordinating use of three Oregon test ranges that are expected to become busy as companies try to document reliability and usability for commercial use. He told me one company is trying to develop drones that will fly 24/7 and provide wide area wi-fi like internet service.

Since this thread is about your 4K cameras, it is probably worth noting that the GoPro Hero 3 my crashing friend has is supposed to be able to shoot 4K video.
post #16 of 20 Old 08-28-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a friend with a DJI Phantom Vision 2 and he gets reliable flying, good pictures and good videos. Another friend bought a cheaper Rotor Concept Discovery Quad. He's crashed both times he tried to fly it, has sent it off for repairs and has yet to mount his brand new GoPro.

A couple more acquaintances in the RV park I'm in are flying them even though the resort rules prohibit the use of remote control aircraft and (oddly) kites.

The Phantom Vision 2+ that I like the best is relatively expensive at $1300 at B&H and includes a specialized camera. The smaller one you found is pre-order at $600 but you need a GoPro for another $400. Still not "cheap".

Private use robot camera sales will either soar or crash (puns intended) depending on how the FAA and other regulators try to figure them out. Private use and commercial use differences seem to be confounding them.

Another friend is consulting for a Oregon entity that is coordinating use of three Oregon test ranges that are expected to become busy as companies try to document reliability and usability for commercial use. He told me one company is trying to develop drones that will fly 24/7 and provide wide area wi-fi like internet service.

Since this thread is about your 4K cameras, it is probably worth noting that the GoPro Hero 3 my crashing friend has is supposed to be able to shoot 4K video.

Very good and interesting info. However,

1. The Pocket Drone can take any camera less than .5 lbs. It thus can mount the Panasonic A500 - the good action cam (or any P&S if you are willing to risk it). You do not need a GoPro. All these guys show GoPros because that is most popular. Still $600+$400, but you get a 4K action cam for other uses. The camera on the big one is only for use in "droning."

2. The GoPro Hero 3+ does shoot 4K, but at - wait for it - 15fps. It is unusable. The Panasonic A500 shoots 4K just like the big boys - at 30fps. Yes, the rumor is that the GoPro "4" will shoot 4K at 30fps, but then the Panasonic "A1000" will shoot 4K60p... and so on.
post #17 of 20 Old 08-28-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I think the reason that drone thread died is that the drone is way too large and way too expensive.

But now, there is something much more affordable and pocketable, and works with any action cam:

http://www.thepocketdrone.com/

Indeed, in investigating drones I found the 3-axis stabilizer, because the stabilizer and the drones use the same technology - brushless motors, gyroscope, etc.
Mark, keep in mind that if you're using this with your Android phone, it may require you to root. I'm not a big fan of that and I don't see a list of which will work with or without rooting.

Otherwise a very cool device.
post #18 of 20 Old 08-28-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mark, keep in mind that if you're using this with your Android phone, it may require you to root. I'm not a big fan of that and I don't see a list of which will work with or without rooting.

I agree with you on rooting. The device does come with its own wireless controller, however, so it is not necessary to use a phone or tablet to fly it.

The A500 (and that GoPro and the Sony AS100V) do enable viewing what the camera sees over wifi with your phone (unrooted), so you can for (short) distances use your phone to frame aerial clips.
post #19 of 20 Old 08-28-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I agree with you on rooting. The device does come with its own wireless controller, however, so it is not necessary to use a phone or tablet to fly it.
What I've seen is that you need the phone to see what you're taking a picture of. An iPod Touch will work if you don't iTalk.
post #20 of 20 Old 08-28-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ken,

The DJI Phanton Vision 2+ specifications page says Android 4 and up work if you are not an iPerson. But, I think 4K is missing.

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/spec

Last edited by bsprague; 08-28-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page