AVS Forum banner

Suggestion for a new camcorder $600 and under

1K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Terfyn 
#1 ·
Looking for some suggestions for a new camcorder. I have a my first little one on the way and I would like to pick a camcorder for all those moments that will come with him. I am a little baffled with all the selections and choosing the right camcorder for me. Budget looks to be about 600. I've looked around at a couple different options, but just not confident enough to purchase any of them at the moment.

I was almost about to buy the Sony HDRPJ540/B(Found one under 600) from my list, but now I am seeing the Panasonic HC-V750K. Which may have better low light performance. So i'm still thrown for a loop on which one to get. I was just looking for the all around best picture quality for recording my soon to be born son. Normal everyday shooting situations applies for this purchase. Which includes nights in a not so adequate lighted rooms. Also with the Sony camcorder the projector does not factor into my consideration as I just consider it an extra/bonus. I am strictly looking for best quality video and possibly sound from whichever device I purchase.

Some options I've looked at
Canon VIXIA HF R500/50 or 52 (Cheapest option)
Sony HDRPJ540/B -
Panasonic HC-V750K

Any suggestions are welcome and I really do appreciate any help.

See less See more
#3 ·
The Panasonic 750 is a very good camera. I have used mine since March.
Good low light ability, I do a lot of filming indoors without problem plus the video light is adequate for close up work. The audio is very adequate as well.
The best way to view from the camera is to use the HDMI port into your HD TV.

#5 ·
Well I just purchased the Panasonic. Thanks for the help everyone. I was definitely all about the image quality and the best bang for my buck in that respect. I felt with the Sony I was paying for a projector I could care less about that would not be used often and was pretty much leaning towards that for image stabilization specifically. Although from looking around it seems the pana might be close or just as good as the Sony, but also seems to have better low light. Plus the youtube video test for the pana seem to look quite good. Very excited about this purchase.

Thanks again for the help.
Sean

#6 ·
Well I just purchased the Panasonic.
Sean,

I don't mean to be rude, but, now that you have an exceptionally good camcorder, I'm going to make a couple recommendations.

First, learn the knobs, buttons and controls.

Second, buy the book by Steve Stockman called "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck". It is not about equipment. It is about basic technique.

Third, learn a video editing system. Don't waste time trying them all out to find the "best" one. Pick one and stick with it. Some have better learning support systems than others. By nature, video editing is complex. Steve Grisetti is a good online teacher. He has his own website, Muvipix.com and teaches Adobe Premier Elements at Lynda.com. At Muvipix, Steve has well organized courses on Sony's Vegas Movie Studio as well as Adobe products.

Good luck with the video project. Most important, be sure to put in the work to be a good dad. It will be your most rewarding project you will ever have.

Bill

#14 ·
Maybe I was too late.
I would recommend sony camcorder with BOSS.

Same here, I need a camcorder for family life.

Low night and image quality can be improved by post-production easily.
Say use editing & filter to overcome the problems.
But shaking is not easy to fix.

Especially, When you walk or act with baby, you may see the difference.

#15 ·
Maybe I was too late.
I would recommend sony camcorder with BOSS.

Same here, I need a camcorder for family life.

Low night and image quality can be improved by post-production easily.
Say use editing & filter to overcome the problems.
But shaking is not easy to fix.

Especially, When you walk or act with baby, you may see the difference.
BOSS is good but it is a bit "last year", the Panasonic hybrid system uses both a mechanical OIS, like BOSS, plus the use of an oversize chip to give electronic OIS. The combination of the two gives a very steady picture.

I use my Panasonic 750 on boats and the miniature slate railways of North Wales. Both are notoriously bouncy and rattly but the camera produces a totally steady picture.

I have a history with Sony from the Hi-8 days and I would not recommend them to anyone!!
My choice would always be Canon (I have an HV20 - a brilliant piece of kit from 2005) and Panasonic. For example I see no point in fitting a projector into a camera when I get better results with a HDMI lead into my HD TV.

#17 ·
In my experience very good. I have printed off at A3 without any noticeable degradation. In practice I use it instead of my old but still excellent Olympus E-10.

I would not dare to suggest that it is better than a DSLR!!! but for general use it is more than adequate. One advantage is that I only need one camera for both jobs.
Plus I do lift stills from my 750 videos in the editing process and they print to A4 without problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.