Suggestion for a new camcorder $600 and under - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bsprague

post #1 of 19 Old 08-26-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Suggestion for a new camcorder $600 and under

Looking for some suggestions for a new camcorder. I have a my first little one on the way and I would like to pick a camcorder for all those moments that will come with him. I am a little baffled with all the selections and choosing the right camcorder for me. Budget looks to be about 600. I've looked around at a couple different options, but just not confident enough to purchase any of them at the moment.

I was almost about to buy the Sony HDRPJ540/B(Found one under 600) from my list, but now I am seeing the Panasonic HC-V750K. Which may have better low light performance. So i'm still thrown for a loop on which one to get. I was just looking for the all around best picture quality for recording my soon to be born son. Normal everyday shooting situations applies for this purchase. Which includes nights in a not so adequate lighted rooms. Also with the Sony camcorder the projector does not factor into my consideration as I just consider it an extra/bonus. I am strictly looking for best quality video and possibly sound from whichever device I purchase.

Some options I've looked at
Canon VIXIA HF R500/50 or 52 (Cheapest option)
Sony HDRPJ540/B -
Panasonic HC-V750K

Any suggestions are welcome and I really do appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Go with the Panasonic.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-26-2014, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The Panasonic 750 is a very good camera. I have used mine since March.
Good low light ability, I do a lot of filming indoors without problem plus the video light is adequate for close up work. The audio is very adequate as well.
The best way to view from the camera is to use the HDMI port into your HD TV.
post #4 of 19 Old 08-26-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Another vote for the Panasonic HC-V750 - epsecially since it is marked down from $598 to $572.14 at Beach Audio via Amazon and $571.86 at the same store via eBay. There are only a couple left at this price.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #5 of 19 Old 08-27-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Well I just purchased the Panasonic. Thanks for the help everyone. I was definitely all about the image quality and the best bang for my buck in that respect. I felt with the Sony I was paying for a projector I could care less about that would not be used often and was pretty much leaning towards that for image stabilization specifically. Although from looking around it seems the pana might be close or just as good as the Sony, but also seems to have better low light. Plus the youtube video test for the pana seem to look quite good. Very excited about this purchase.

Thanks again for the help.
Sean
post #6 of 19 Old 08-27-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kelly View Post
Well I just purchased the Panasonic.
Sean,

I don't mean to be rude, but, now that you have an exceptionally good camcorder, I'm going to make a couple recommendations.

First, learn the knobs, buttons and controls.

Second, buy the book by Steve Stockman called "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck". It is not about equipment. It is about basic technique.

Third, learn a video editing system. Don't waste time trying them all out to find the "best" one. Pick one and stick with it. Some have better learning support systems than others. By nature, video editing is complex. Steve Grisetti is a good online teacher. He has his own website, Muvipix.com and teaches Adobe Premier Elements at Lynda.com. At Muvipix, Steve has well organized courses on Sony's Vegas Movie Studio as well as Adobe products.

Good luck with the video project. Most important, be sure to put in the work to be a good dad. It will be your most rewarding project you will ever have.

Bill
brunerww likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
Sean,

I don't mean to be rude, but, now that you have an exceptionally good camcorder, I'm going to make a couple recommendations.

First, learn the knobs, buttons and controls.

Second, buy the book by Steve Stockman called "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck". It is not about equipment. It is about basic technique.

Third, learn a video editing system. Don't waste time trying them all out to find the "best" one. Pick one and stick with it. Some have better learning support systems than others. By nature, video editing is complex. Steve Grisetti is a good online teacher. He has his own website, Muvipix.com and teaches Adobe Premier Elements at Lynda.com. At Muvipix, Steve has well organized courses on Sony's Vegas Movie Studio as well as Adobe products.

Good luck with the video project. Most important, be sure to put in the work to be a good dad. It will be your most rewarding project you will ever have.

Bill
No, your not being rude at all Bill. These recommendation are the exact reason I posted on this forum. Valuable information like this is exactly what I needed.

I have a fairly good tech background and work in the field. Although this is not in video or video editing and my knowledge is basic if anything. As I mainly work PC hardware, networking, and server/client applications. This is also most likely half the reason why it is important to me to make the best purchase possible and reaching out for info from people whom know more about these devices was something I felt was important to do.

I will definitely check out the book and website as the information and assistance will definitely be needed and yes the most important thing and what this is all about is my son. Being the best I can for him will be what its all about in the end.

Thanks again,
Sean
post #8 of 19 Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
.... As I mainly work PC hardware, networking, and server/client applications. ....
From that, I will assume you have little to now video editing experience.

My computer background goes back to CP/M and then DOS for work projects. My first computers had "floppy disks" for storage. Video editing was a new experience.

Until I picked an editor and took an online course, I didn't understand what video editing software was supposed to do, could do or how to do it. I wasted a full year fiddling around trying to "discover" randomly. Watching random YouTube tutorials did not connect the dots.

Not until I took an organized course that started with the basics, did I get the workflow that put the dots together.

Video editing is an amazing process that computers make into a delightful experience. When I was a kid, my dad had a machine that would cut and glue strips of his 8mm movie film together. That was work!
post #9 of 19 Old 08-27-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Well I just purchased the Panasonic. I felt with the Sony I was paying for a projector I could care less about that would not be used often and was pretty much leaning towards that for image stabilization specifically. Although from looking around it seems the pana might be close or just as good as the Sony, but also seems to have better low light.

Sean
The 750 has Hybrid stabilisation which means both electronic and mechanical OIS. IMO this is better than the Sony which has been much hyped. bsprague's comments about learning the knobs and buttons is very valid as there is so much more hidden in the menus which depend on the top settings. An example might be the audio control or the Slo-Mo options.
Good books are helpful but a good video club is well worth joining. My old club (I had to leave because I moved) had members who worked for the BBC Manchester.

My computer background goes back to CP/M and then DOS for work projects. My first computers had "floppy disks" for storage. Video editing was a new experience. And the Z80!! plus 64 K memory. Now they really knew how to write good compact code in those days.

Last edited by Terfyn; 08-27-2014 at 10:08 AM.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-27-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
From that, I will assume you have little to now video editing experience.
Definitely on the side of little to none on video editing experience. Will definitely go into this experience as humbled, but enthusiastic to learn.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post
.... And the Z80!! plus 64 K memory. Now they really knew how to write good compact code in those days.
My Osborn 1 came with Wordstar, SuperCalc, dBase and a 300 "baud" modem. It revolutionized how I got work done. Word and Excel are only marginal improvements to real work. Of course, back then, to make pictures I had to have a darkroom full of nasty chemicals. Windows and Adobe have revolutionized they way I make pictures, including moving pictures.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The 750 has Hybrid stabilisation which means both electronic and mechanical OIS. IMO this is better than the Sony which has been much hyped. bsprague's comments about learning the knobs and buttons is very valid as there is so much more hidden in the menus which depend on the top settings. An example might be the audio control or the Slo-Mo options.
Good books are helpful but a good video club is well worth joining. My old club (I had to leave because I moved) had members who worked for the BBC Manchester.

My computer background goes back to CP/M and then DOS for work projects. My first computers had "floppy disks" for storage. Video editing was a new experience. And the Z80!! plus 64 K memory. Now they really knew how to write good compact code in those days.
Ya I saw another post by you from I believe another forum explaining the image stabilization. Your confidence and explanations on the subject help immensely on making the decision on this specific camcorder. Thank You!
post #13 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Well I just purchased the Panasonic. Thanks for the help everyone. I was definitely all about the image quality and the best bang for my buck in that respect. I felt with the Sony I was paying for a projector I could care less about that would not be used often and was pretty much leaning towards that for image stabilization specifically. Although from looking around it seems the pana might be close or just as good as the Sony, but also seems to have better low light. Plus the youtube video test for the pana seem to look quite good. Very excited about this purchase.

Sean
Congratulations on the new camera! Great advice from Bill Sprague - I agree with it 100%

Best of luck,

Bill B.
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #14 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe I was too late.
I would recommend sony camcorder with BOSS.

Same here, I need a camcorder for family life.

Low night and image quality can be improved by post-production easily.
Say use editing & filter to overcome the problems.
But shaking is not easy to fix.

Especially, When you walk or act with baby, you may see the difference.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashiharu View Post
Maybe I was too late.
I would recommend sony camcorder with BOSS.

Same here, I need a camcorder for family life.

Low night and image quality can be improved by post-production easily.
Say use editing & filter to overcome the problems.
But shaking is not easy to fix.

Especially, When you walk or act with baby, you may see the difference.
BOSS is good but it is a bit "last year", the Panasonic hybrid system uses both a mechanical OIS, like BOSS, plus the use of an oversize chip to give electronic OIS. The combination of the two gives a very steady picture.

I use my Panasonic 750 on boats and the miniature slate railways of North Wales. Both are notoriously bouncy and rattly but the camera produces a totally steady picture.

I have a history with Sony from the Hi-8 days and I would not recommend them to anyone!!
My choice would always be Canon (I have an HV20 - a brilliant piece of kit from 2005) and Panasonic. For example I see no point in fitting a projector into a camera when I get better results with a HDMI lead into my HD TV.
post #16 of 19 Old 09-02-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How is the Panasonic HC-V750K with taking still photos?
post #17 of 19 Old 09-02-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Forward View Post
How is the Panasonic HC-V750K with taking still photos?
In my experience very good. I have printed off at A3 without any noticeable degradation. In practice I use it instead of my old but still excellent Olympus E-10.

I would not dare to suggest that it is better than a DSLR!!! but for general use it is more than adequate. One advantage is that I only need one camera for both jobs.
Plus I do lift stills from my 750 videos in the editing process and they print to A4 without problem.
post #18 of 19 Old 11-30-2014, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
In my experience very good. I have printed off at A3 without any noticeable degradation. In practice I use it instead of my old but still excellent Olympus E-10.

I would not dare to suggest that it is better than a DSLR!!! but for general use it is more than adequate. One advantage is that I only need one camera for both jobs.
Plus I do lift stills from my 750 videos in the editing process and they print to A4 without problem.
I'm thinking of buying the Panasonic 750K but my application involves shooting a video and having a live HDMI video output that does not not have any text or icons superimposed. The live output is going to a projector in another area of our facility. Does anyone know if the 750K can do that? Thanks

Bill
post #19 of 19 Old 11-30-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjrice91744 View Post
I'm thinking of buying the Panasonic 750K but my application involves shooting a video and having a live HDMI video output that does not not have any text or icons superimposed. The live output is going to a projector in another area of our facility. Does anyone know if the 750K can do that? Thanks

Bill

In short YES. You will need to switch both the External Display and the Date/Time to OFF to ensure a clear picture.
The screen will show "RECORD" and "PAUSE" fleetingly when the record button is pressed but they leave a clear screen after about one second. This will mean that your audience will know if you are recording.
The mic is alive all the time the camera is switched on so the audience will also hear everything the camera hears even when you are not recording. You will only have control, at the camera, when in Manual mode and you can set the mic volume to zero. Clearly any amplifier in the circuit for the projector will also give control over the audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page