New APS-C Samsung NX1 shoots 4K UHD video - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 191 Old 09-03-2014, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 357
New APS-C Samsung NX1 shoots 4K UHD video

Quote:
The NX1 will shoot 15 fps. And these are more tidbits about the camera translated by Ihkim:
- 15 fps with tracking.
- Vertical grip available.
- Will announce revolutionary PD system.
- Slightly bigger body than NX30.
- Body design matches with 16-50 F2.0-F2.8 lens.
- Best high ISO performance and EVF among crop sensor bodies.
- Available on the market in October (TBD)
- Not retro design but similar with Mamiya?

The other specs I already posted before:
28 MP APS-C CMOS Sensor (ISOCELL tech)
DRIMe Image Signal Processor
154 cross-type sensors
Advanced Hybrid Autofocus System / 2nd generation of Phase Detection Auto Focus System
ISO 100-51200
UHD 4K 3840×2160 at 30p/24p
Full HD up to 60p
3″ Tiltable AMOLED Touch Display
Water and dust proof
Wi-Fi and NFC Connectivity
Magnesium Alloy, Weather-Sealed Body
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/new-...ts-up-to-15fps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 191 Old 09-15-2014, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

4K Samsung NX1 now available for pre-order

[QUOTE] 4K Recording at 24 fps, UHD Recording at 30 fps and 1080p Full HD Recording at up to 60 fps. As a 4K-capable camera, the NX1 is among the most compact cameras in its class. Aside from 4K, video may be recorded in Ultra-HD as well as in full HD. To help ensure that even the highest resolution video files are easy work with, the NX1 accommodates UHS-I or UHS-II memory cards and employs HEVC (H.265) compression. Additionally, video may be recorded directly to an external device with a 4:2:2 (8-bit) output signal.[/QUOTE
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_camera.html

post #3 of 191 Old 09-15-2014, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Thanks, Joe for the links. If the sample 4K video was shot using the internal H.265 codec then my hats off to Samsung. They have really arrived.

post #4 of 191 Old 09-15-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The party is over for Canon and Nikon.
post #5 of 191 Old 09-15-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 221

I wonder, how much of that dramatic and well done footage was shot from a quadcopter?
post #6 of 191 Old 09-15-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
The party is over for Canon and Nikon.
There are more than enough consumers that love taking photos and have a disdain for video, that I think both Canon and Nikon will probably survive. No, I am not one of them!
post #7 of 191 Old 09-15-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
There are more than enough consumers that love taking photos and have a disdain for video, that I think both Canon and Nikon will probably survive. No, I am not one of them!
Yeah, I see many old farts on camera forums like DPR that like to live in the past and buy high priced antiques like the Nikon Df DSLR that has a slower top shutter speed than many much lower priced full frame cameras.
post #8 of 191 Old 09-15-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I see many old farts on camera forums like DPR that like to live in the past and buy high priced antiques like the Nikon Df DSLR that has a slower top shutter speed than many much lower priced full frame cameras.
Either you are making fun of me or you missed my point. There remains a group, young and old, that care nothing of using their video buttons and, if fact, are suggesting their cameras should not have them.

These are the people that are making the $9.99 per month Adobe CC package of Lightroom and Photoshop into a big success. They make pictures, not videos. They want cameras that make really good pictures. The $9.99 per month, every month, does not get you Premier.

If you're point WAS to suggest I be included in the "old fart" group, I accept.
post #9 of 191 Old 09-15-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Either you are making fun of me or you missed my point. There remains a group, young and old, that care nothing of using their video buttons and, if fact, are suggesting their cameras should not have them.

These are the people that are making the $9.99 per month Adobe CC package of Lightroom and Photoshop into a big success. They make pictures, not videos. They want cameras that make really good pictures. The $9.99 per month, every month, does not get you Premier.

If you're point WAS to suggest I be included in the "old fart" group, I accept.
Age has nothing to do with it since I have been shooting with SLR cameras since 1966. I am talking about people who just live in the past and just want the same thing they had 40 years ago.
post #10 of 191 Old 09-15-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Age has nothing to do with it since I have been shooting with SLR cameras since 1966. I am talking about people who just live in the past and just want the same thing they had 40 years ago.
I started with a lesser camera ten years sooner and I think it was 60 years ago. That really is me in my avatar.

By most gear head standards, I still have lesser cameras! The trick is to get good images with whatever one has. To be avoided at all costs is getting crappy results from great equipment.

For my 60 photographic years, my biggest personal obstacle has been getting tangled up in new stuff at the expense of getting the best out of what I have. In other words, I've read and memorized more camera and software manuals than books on creative composition.

I'm trying to change before it is all over. There is no doubt that I'm closer to the end than the beginning!
post #11 of 191 Old 09-15-2014, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

My first SLR was the Canon Pellix QL 35mm SLR in 1966 with 58mm F1.2 lens that had a semitransparent stationary reflex mirror behind which a metering cell is raised during the reading sort of like the Sony A99. The problem is it lost about 1/3 stop just like the Sony A99. I switched to the Pentax 6x7 MF system in 1974 along with Pentax 35mm SLRs and finally Pentax DSLRs in 2005. My last Pentax DSLR was the K-7 and last APS-C Pentax the K-01 mirrorless. I now prefer mirrorless cameras with EVFs like my GH4 and A7r.
post #12 of 191 Old 09-15-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My first SLR was ....
Mine were Nikkormats with 8 lenses. They could get wet, so I got a Nikonos. I wanted more "punch and detail" so a got a Mamiya C330 and all three lenses.

It was great gear, but I was too busy working to realize the potential I had. Darkroom processing was slow. Lightroom is much better!
post #13 of 191 Old 09-15-2014, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I could have purchased a house with the money I spent on camera, darkroom and studio gear over the years. Back in 1986 I purchased over $20,000 in studio and darkroom gear from Calumet at Photo 1986 in NYC and I bet I spent the same amount so far just in 2014 including my Mac Pro Final Cut Pro X system.
post #14 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Once again 4K footage makes HD look like a sad excuse.
post #15 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
Once again 4K footage makes HD look like a sad excuse.
I agree. It's deja vu all over again There are quotes just like this all over the forums from back when we transitioned from SD to HD. Video shooters who buy new 1080p cameras right now should be prepared to lose a lot of money to depreciation.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

P.S. - just noticed I went over 1000 posts and became a "Special Member". Thanks, AVS for providing such a great forum. And thanks to the regulars on this board that make it such a great place to post (e.g., Bill, Mark, Joe and others).

Last edited by brunerww; 09-16-2014 at 03:32 AM.
post #16 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 44
You will need a lens for that,
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/firs...-2-8-lens-5140

Samsung S 300mm f/2.8 ED OIS iFunction Lens Features:
300mm f/2.8 lens
OIS (Optical Image Stabilisation)
Magnesium alloy body
Weather sealed
Filter slot
2m minimum focus distance
Custom focus range can be set
iFunction button
Super Sonic Actuator

post #17 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post
I agree. It's deja vu all over again There are quotes just like this all over the forums from back when we transitioned from SD to HD. Video shooters who buy new 1080p cameras right now should be prepared to lose a lot of money to depreciation.

Bill
Bill,

How many times have you tried to answer the question, "What do I buy with $500 to video my family and post on YouTube?" Is the answer now, "Don't waste your money. Wait for more choices."

Granted, choices are coming quickly. Although I'm convinced 4K is "better", I'm not yet convinced it is more "useful" for general purpose, family videography.

I also wonder about how mainstream delivery will take place. The HD improvement over SD was so significant that the network broadcast systems changed standards.

I don't doubt the "early adopters" will swarm around 4K capability. But, I think HD, with it's adopted standards, will remain the choice of the masses for a long time.

Bill, the other one.
post #18 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Bill,

How many times have you tried to answer the question, "What do I buy with $500 to video my family and post on YouTube?" Is the answer now, "Don't waste your money. Wait for more choices."

Granted, choices are coming quickly. Although I'm convinced 4K is "better", I'm not yet convinced it is more "useful" for general purpose, family videography.

I also wonder about how mainstream delivery will take place. The HD improvement over SD was so significant that the network broadcast systems changed standards.

I don't doubt the "early adopters" will swarm around 4K capability. But, I think HD, with it's adopted standards, will remain the choice of the masses for a long time.

Bill, the other one.

Even if HD remains the standard forever, shooting 4K is clearly more useful because you can pan, zoom and crop in post and render HD videos that are higher resolution than any HD camera can produce. You get more creative options, and better quality in HD.
post #19 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
Even if HD remains the standard forever, shooting 4K is clearly more useful because you can pan, zoom and crop in post and render HD videos that are higher resolution than any HD camera can produce. You get more creative options, and better quality in HD.
Agreed! I am going to get one, but it will probably be awhile.

I should have written "remains useful" not "more useful". Or perhaps "more useful for those with less money to spend". I was trying to suggest to (the other) Bill that HD camcorders were not a waste of money yet, especially for those that don't want to or know how to "pan, zoom and crop in post" and need to save for "junior's" education AND want to take video clips of "junior" petting the cat.

Mark, you have me convinced. 4K is better. But $450 for a FZ200 might be a more prudent choice for a family on a budget than a $900 FZ1000. Better to get clips of the cute little bugger spilling his milk on the cat than get no clips at all!

HD will die. It is already dead for early adopters with "GAS" like you, Ken and Joe. (That is not an insult. I admire your quest for the perfect image capture device.)

I think it will take 5 years, maybe much longer, for HD to die a complete death for the mass of unsophisticated consumers who will continue to watch HD (or less) on their phones during rush hour on the train or bus.

To be on topic, I would really like to have a Samsung NX1. I'm really impressed with the specs of the Pansonic X1000. Most likely now, it will be a GH5!
post #20 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...I think it will take 5 years, maybe much longer, for HD to die a complete death for the mass of unsophisticated consumers who will continue to watch HD (or less) on their phones during rush hour on the train or bus..
I agree, Bill. In about 5 years, 1080p HD will be where 720p is now. And I certainly would not have recommended a 720p camera in 2009.

Best,

Bill
post #21 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
would really like to have a Samsung NX1...
If I didn't already have the GH4, I would be thinking seriously about this camera. The only challenge is the lack of a Speed Booster or even a powered EF lens adapter for the NX mount. And Metabones says they cannot build one.

The camera that has me stoked, though, is the $7999 Sony PXW-FS7. I have wanted an affordable shoulder mounted 35mm cinema camera since film school.

After they've been on the market for a couple of years, the price should come down on the used market. In the meantime, I'll rent
post #22 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Bill,

Bill, the other one.

I disagree. Most family video is going to be shot on cell phones, and on cell phones 4K is rapidly becoming commonplace.

Once 4K TV sets become more common in the general population, HD will disappear from cameras just as SD largely has.
post #23 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If I didn't already have the GH4, I would be thinking seriously about this camera. The only challenge is the lack of a Speed Booster or even a powered EF lens adapter for the NX mount. And Metabones says they cannot build one.

The camera that has me stoked, though, is the $7999 Sony PXW-FS7. I have wanted an affordable shoulder mounted 35mm cinema camera since film school.

After they've been on the market for a couple of years, the price should come down on the used market. In the meantime, I'll rent
The camera looks promising, but the reservation I would have is Samsung's long term commitment to the camera market. If you go out and try to buy a Samsung camera today (in Vancouver), you will have a tough time finding many at all. They have to get past that, and some recognition in the market that they currently don't have IMO. If I can't find someone who sells their products I am probably not going to buy one, lol.

I would wait to see what sort of marketing and support they are willing to put into the camera business first.

*Edit* Oh, and the Sony FS7 looks awesome, although a little out of my price range

Last edited by Tugela; 09-16-2014 at 11:46 AM.
post #24 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
The camera looks promising, but the reservation I would have is Samsung's long term commitment to the camera market. If you go out and try to buy a Samsung camera today (in Vancouver), you will have a tough time finding many at all. They have to get past that, and some recognition in the market that they currently don't have IMO. If I can't find someone who sells their products I am probably not going to buy one, lol.

I would wait to see what sort of marketing and support they are willing to put into the camera business first.

*Edit* Oh, and the Sony FS7 looks awesome, although a little out of my price range

Samsung cameras (the whole line) are sold in almost all BestBuys in the US. Panasonic cameras are not sold in any, and have not been for many years. You will have a tough time finding any Panasonic cameras in stores. Do you think Panasonic has no long-term commitment to the camera market?
post #25 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I disagree. Most family video is going to be shot on cell phones, and on cell phones 4K is rapidly becoming commonplace.....
Good point. I overlooked that.

I've been a camera person for so long, I forget I have 4K in my pocket. I had a Blackberry once and put off getting a smartphone until now. The S5 has 4K. I should try using it!
post #26 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...... since film school.
I should have done something like that. Instead I went to a "liberal arts college" to keep from getting drafted. Liberal arts was wasted on me.
post #27 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
Samsung cameras (the whole line) are sold in almost all BestBuys in the US. Panasonic cameras are not sold in any, and have not been for many years. You will have a tough time finding any Panasonic cameras in stores. Do you think Panasonic has no long-term commitment to the camera market?
That is true, I had not thought of them. The only Samsung cameras I have ever seen in stores however are a few low end P&S models. The enthusiast stores here (Broadway Camera and Lens & Shutter) don't stock their products at all it seems.
post #28 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I should have done something like that. Instead I went to a "liberal arts college" to keep from getting drafted. Liberal arts was wasted on me.
I didn't finish film school, though. I switched majors from film studies to hard science so I could get an Air Force ROTC scholarship and go to pilot training

Glad I did - Hollywood was a crap shoot. As untalented as I was, I would have starved to death.

They didn't pay lieutenants much, but it was a steady paycheck. And we were between wars
post #29 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If I was still just with Pentax DSLRs like I was back in 2009 before I got into the Panasonic GH line I would jump on the APS-C NX1 but since I now have the GH1, GH2 and GH4 with many high quality m4/3rd lenses it would not make sense since I also have many high quality full frame lenses for my Sony VG900 full frame camcorder and 36mp Sony A7r. I bet Sony will have a full frame camcorder with 4K 60p in 2015 to use with the expanding full frame FE lenses like the new power zoom FE PZ 28-135mm F4 G OSS cinema lens and Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS ultra wide zoom lens.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/the-u...-few-thoughts/
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/exlcu...he-sony-booth/
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-z...-at-amazon-us/

post #30 of 191 Old 09-16-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
......I switched majors from film studies to hard science so I could get an Air Force ROTC scholarship and go to pilot training

They didn't pay lieutenants much, but it was a steady paycheck. And we were between wars
The Navy must have been desperate. They took me for flight training with a liberal arts degree. Ensign pay was not good either. They used to call us "90 Day Wonders" because that is how long it took for the Marine instructors to turn us into saluteable "gentlemen".

On topic...the NX-1 and a stabilized lens would have been terrific for the ocean surveillance we did around Vietnam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page