AVS Forum banner

Panasonic DMC-CM1 Smart Camera (Android)

2K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  Mattias Burling 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
my next smartphone

It has the best camera specs I have ever seen in a smartphone.
The Lumix DMC-CM1 comes with the largest imaging sensor we have seen on a smartphone. Its 1"-type 20MP chip has the same dimensions as the sensors in premium compact cameras such as Sony's RX100 or Nikon's 1 series, and is around seven times larger than the 1/3"-type sensors that are common on more conventional smartphones. The large sensor is coupled with an F2.8 Leica lens that offers an equivalent focal length of 28mm. This is by far the best camera specification on any smartphone and the 20MP resolution should even allow for a good-quality digital zoom. The CM1 is also capable of recording 4K-video and Raw images. Focus, aperture, shutter speed, ISO and white balance can all be adjusted manually, and there's a mechanical click-wheel around the lens ' barrel' on the front of the camera/phone.

The rest of the specification is in line with current high-end smartphones. Images can be viewed and composed on a 4.7-inch 1080p display and Android 4.4 is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon S801 quad-core processor that is clocked at 2.3 GHz. 16GB of internal memory are on board but the device also takes microSD-cards of up to 128GB capacity.

• 20MP 1-inch CMOS sensor
  • F2.8 aperture
  • 28mm equivalent focal length
  • ISO 100-25,600
  • 4K-video
  • Raw capture
  • 1.1MP front camera
  • 4.7-inch 1080p display
  • Android 4.4
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon S801 quad-core processor
  • 2GB RAM
  • 16GB built-in memory
  • microSD cards up to 128GB
  • 2600mAh batttery
http://connect.dpreview.com/post/71...s-lumix-dmc-cm1-smartphone-with-1-inch-sensor

#6 ·
My personal view.
OIS would be great for sure but at 28mm FF equivalent I can manage without on a real camera and it is a cell phone so if it doesn't have one, so be it.

BTW, I seriously dig the way it looks. That black fake leather backside is nice. I would be so happy if they did the same color as the LX100 with champagne and brown leather.

#7 ·
My personal view.
OIS would be great for sure but at 28mm FF equivalent I can manage without on a real camera and it is a cell phone so if it doesn't have one, so be it.

BTW, I seriously dig the way it looks. That black fake leather backside is nice. I would be so happy if they did the same color as the LX100 with champagne and brown leather.

No, stabilization is a serious issue for 4K. I have plenty of experience shooting 4K with a cellphone (as shown by my posted videos) and with the A500 - without stabilization, 4K video is not watcheable. The lens is approximately 35mm on the Samsung S5.

I really don't care how it looks, as long as one can start the video on the back screen and it's small and light and thin.

#8 ·
Weighing in at 204g and measuring 21mm in thickness, the CM1 is unlikely to be confused for a regular smartphone. Panasonic prefers that it be thought of as a very capable camera that also comes with communication capabilities rather than as a smartphone with great imaging. Still, with the full suite of Android apps and a potent processor inside, there's nothing preventing the CM1 from performing both functions well. The 2,600mAh battery is, however, a little small for this cameraphone's generous dimensions. Panasonic tells me the CM1 will go on sale in France and Germany this November at a price of around 900 euros. Those two nations will serve as the test market to determine customer reaction to the CM1 and whether Panasonic should pursue the idea further.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/15/6151671/panasonic-leica-cm1-android-cameraphone

#10 ·
The iPhone 6 Plus hasn’t even been released yet, but as of today it has been made obsolete for photos and video by the Panasonic CM1. This is quite simply a new benchmark for the camera phone, with an overall camera spec that beats every other smartphone on the market. The Android powered CM1 delivers 4K video and 20MP stills with full manual control from a large 1″ sensor, sporting a Leica DC Elmarit 10mm F2.8 prime lens.

Panasonic now have an answer to the dominance of smartphones for everyday social photography. It’s a connected up camera based on Android as well as a fully fledged smartphone.
The device runs on Android and features a full 1080p touchscreen.
4K video shooting will be a key feature of this, but it’s very important to say why. Other large smartphones have 4K video (from Samsung for example) but due to a small sensor image quality is poor. However the CM1 shoots 4K off the same 1″ sensor as the excellent Panasonic FZ1000. The sensor is likely also the same as that featured in the Sony RX10, RX100 III & $2000 AX100 4K Handycam.
It’s great to have a pocketable 4K device and even for drones this could be pretty interesting. The lens is a fixed 10mm wide angle, roughly equivalent to 27mm on a full frame camera.
http://www.eoshd.com/2014/09/new-panasonic-cm1-smartphone-shoots-4k-video-leica-lens/

I sure hope Panasonic sells this in the US by early 2015.

#12 ·
Well even with Mark's disappointing news (4k only at 15 fps), I have to say this is the most amazing announcement of the year. I would buy one in an INSTANT. It's like a super-slim RX100, but without the zoom which I never use anyway because it is too slow at the long end. So instead of carrying a smartphone and my RX100, I can just carry a slighly fatter smartphone. Complete no brainer, even with 4k at only 15 fps. Go Panasonic!!! Have some courage and release this device to the USA.

#14 ·
You can't compare the pictures you'll get from the 1" sony sensor in the CM1 and the 1/2.6" sensors in the Note 4 and LG G3. The CM1 sensor is 7 times larger, and its large fast lens will capture 2-3 stops more light. It is going to have 3 more bits of color depth, 2 more stops of dynamic range, and 2-3 times the low ISO performance. It won't even be close, even an untrained eye will be able to easily tell the difference.

#15 ·
i'm afraid for most cell phone geeks or even the average Joe who uses smart phones, as soon as they see the camera hump on the back side they will give it a pass. Samsung has been trying hard to corner this particular niche of the cell phone market but has not seen much success so far. Maybe Panasonic could do better but probably on a much smaller scale.

#18 · (Edited)
The 15fps 4K sucks for sure.
But for me it does not break the deal since Im choosing between the CM1, iPhone6+ or keeping my Lumia 1520. None of the other two has 4K in any frame rate.
The only thing that worries me is Android and the small 4.7" screen but I can probably live with it. And if not I will sell it and cut my losses.

#23 · (Edited)
I think the only thing that would stop me from getting the CM1 would be if a company announced a pocketable camera with a full frame sensor and a collapsible lens. Something like a Ricoh GR with one of the Sony full frame sensors. I have the RX1, which takes amazing images, but I don't use it that often because it isn't pocketable. If I want to travel light, I'll stick my RX100MII in my pocket. If I want to get great pictures, I'll take my D4 because I can get better pictures with it than the RX1 due to choice of lenses and better handling. My RX1 doesn't get much use anymore, so I'm thinking of trading it in for an A7s or A7r. If only the A7s had internal 4k recording, it would be a no brainer!

#25 ·
Mark, if you're going to quote me please do it correctly - I said AND not OR. I'm sure that an untrained eye will be able to tell the difference between two pictures, where one has 3 more bits of color depth AND 2 more stops of dynamic range AND 2-3 times the low ISO performance. The person may not be able to articulate the differences, but they will prefer the photos taken with the RX100 over the equivalent ones taken with a cell phone camera.

#26 · (Edited)
IMO.
The average viewer does not see resolution, first of all most of them are not watching in 1080p or even 720p. I have proven that often not even pixel peeping camera nerds can see the difference on YouTube (where 99% are going to watch eachothers smartphone videos via facebook or something).
I work professionally with video in marketing, I atend focus groups where we test videos on sample viewers. Never ever ever has anayone mentioned resolution. Ever. Like seriously ever. No matter what camera we have used.
But when we go high DR and nicely graded footage we get "wow", "this looks like a professional film", "this looks real" and so on.

I have not yet seen any 4K footage from a smartphone (samsung included) that has anything up against HD from a 1" sensored camera like the rx100mk1-3 or what have you.
The 4K from a smartphone looks like your typical cellphone video imo and even an untrained eye can spot it as beeing a cellphone within 1 second. At best it looks kinda like a typical action camera.

But if you have the 1" sensor, some more dynamic range, a decent lens and better colors Im ready to bet $50 that if I shoot with it and show it to someone who is not a camera nerd the comment I will get is "this looks like its shoot with a real camera" and my fellow camera nerd will say "looks decent".

Like Hatchback said, people would prefer a photo from an RX100 over a cellphone. Even if you use a 40mp cellphone it would not win in the eyes of the random viewer.

(just for fun I did a quick tally with the people that happens to be around me as Im typing this. They are not camera people. They say that they can spot a cellphone because of its "wierd look".)

#28 ·
That "weird" look from cell phones usually means unstable frame rates PLUS unsteady framing (due to the absence of an IS system). Or you may add "jumpy" focus into the mix and that would make up the typical cell phone footage. And I have not talked about resolution, DR, etc. yet.

Still, there are some truly excellent clips shot in 4K with a few brands of cell phones from the cheapest 1+1 up to LG G3 or Samsung galaxy S5 posted on YouTube from some very good gadget vloggers. ALL of those clips, though, required some sort of support such as a tripod, slider, steadycam and maybe beanbag etc. None of the shots are handheld.

#29 ·
That "weird" look from cell phones usually means unstable frame rates PLUS unsteady framing...
It didnt, I asked. They ment the look of the image and the colors.
And I agree in full. I dont notice resolution straight away. The reason I think all the 4K I have seen so far from cellphones looks like any other phone is the DR, Colors and sensor size.
There is something magical that happens as soon as a sensor gets bigger. Thats when it gets its mojo IMO but DR and colors is the most important.

Any who it isnt really important in this thread since its about this camera and what other cameras do and how people see them is pretty irrelevant or atleast not relevant enough for a longer discussion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.