4K waterproof Sony Z3v at Verizon Oct 23 ! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 75
4K waterproof Sony Z3v at Verizon Oct 23 !

Well this might be my next smartphone after my Verizon 2 year contract on my HTC Droid DNA expires in January.The Z3v also has wireless charging and 128gb micro SDXC support.
Quote:
Sony took the wraps off the Xperia Z3v for Verizon Wireless in the United States. The IP68 certified high-end Android smartphone will hit the carrier’s shelves later this month, on October 23 for $199.99 with a two-year contract.
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_...-news-9884.php

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Looks great, I have the Z3 and wished it had qi charging like my Lumia 1520, besides that I like it quite a bit. The screen is nice.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I like the fact that you could shoot videos in the rain and not worry about it getting wet.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked: 1572
Hope the video is better than the Z2 4K. That was truly horrible.

OIS in 4K? Otherwise, look elsewhere.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:33 AM

It has IS in 4k. I tested it for just a few seconds today and it seemed better than the OIS ive had in various smartphones.
The image was cropped with IS turned on so I can get back to you with how much.
It will be fun to compare to my Lumia 1520 when it gets the 4k update since the Lumias as off now IMO are superior in stills with Raw dngs.

Last edited by Mattias Burling; 10-11-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:44 PM

Just looked at some footage from my Z3 with and without IS activated and the crop doesn't drag down the quality enough for anybody to notice. The stability is really good.
Ive noticed some focus breathing that might annoy some (me).
Haven't found manual focus which sucks big time.
Like most cell phones its pretty bad i low light.
Im trying it out in daylight tomorrow and will do a shootout against some regular cameras just for fun. Its a phone so it will stick out like a gopro in a movie but I always like to get a reference with all my cameras.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
As you already noticed but the AF pumping is the thing you have to really watch for on Sony's Z series cellphones. The AF is so darn fickle. I can't understand either in these days and ages why there is still no AF lock or selective touch focus on their phones like what their competitors have.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:31 AM

Yes, no MF is just crazy. Maybe there will be a third party app.
But even if the hunting/pumping stops the breathing is still there.
Still a nice phone though and I discover new things to like almost every day.
Today it froze and I really liked the force reset button under the sim cover instead of some button combonation.

I also like the look of it, here is my unboxing,

Old 10-13-2014, 03:38 AM

Started working on my review of the camera in the Z3 yesterday and was out shooting in the rain and under water (it works perfectly) when it got to darn cold so I aborted.
Instead I did just a few experimental shoots at home and one of them could be at least a little bit interesting for the subscribers of my channel so I uploaded it.

Let me just warn you, This is super boring, watch at your own risk

Old 10-13-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mattias, nice videos. At this point I'm only looking at these on an IPad Mini, but to my eyes I prefer the image quality of the Lumia to the Sony. That could be a function of the IPad, so I'll look at this on my 4K monitor later.

Can you upload a 4K video (with & without IS) from the Sony to Vimeo for downloading?
Old 10-13-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Mattias, nice videos. At this point I'm only looking at these on an IPad Mini, but to my eyes I prefer the image quality of the Lumia to the Sony. That could be a function of the IPad, so I'll look at this on my 4K monitor later.

Can you upload a 4K video (with & without IS) from the Sony to Vimeo for downloading?
Thanks,
Yes the Lumia looks nice. Its colors are a bit of (the bmpc4k is spot on) and there is alot of sharpening so the Sony could probably get closer to it in post.
Im not a full member on Vimeo so Im not sure if I can. Othervise I can atleast to a 4K upload to youtube. Probably tonight.

On the topic of the IS or "steady shoot" its nice but the "inteligent steady shoot" in 1080p is truly great.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ouch! I just looked at the video on my 4K monitor and saw what the IPad was hiding. The Lumia really does have an almost obnoxious amount of sharpening. In the Lumia's defense, it does look like it has a bit more dynamic range than the Sony.

Mattias, if you've had any experience with the Z2's 4K (which I thought was terrible), how would you compare the Z3's 4K?
Old 10-13-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Ouch! I just looked at the video on my 4K monitor and saw what the IPad was hiding. The Lumia really does have an almost obnoxious amount of sharpening. In the Lumia's defense, it does look like it has a bit more dynamic range than the Sony.

Mattias, if you've had any experience with the Z2's 4K (which I thought was terrible), how would you compare the Z3's 4K?
True, the Lumia does a great job for iPads, Facebook and so on. But its not gonna be great on the big screen.
For stills on the other hand its Raw DNGs are great fun.

Sorry, never tried a Z2. Im gonna scout my workplace tomorrow and see if I can borrow one and an Galaxy S5 and Alpha for a fun little shootout.
Also I will have to get back to you on the footage with and without IS tomorrow (late for a date ).
Old 10-16-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Verizon page showing 4K with SteadyShot :

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/...eria%20z3v:Top

micro SDXC slot :

http://www.cnet.com/pictures/sony-xp...3v-pictures/4/

Last edited by jogiba; 10-16-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
Verizon page showing 4K with SteadyShot :
When I was out testing it the other day the steady shot helped in 4K but mostly on stuff far away. When I was following my dog from maybe 2-3m it looked ok without.
The Inteligent Steady Shoot thats only in 1080p is much better, really steady.

IMO,
If I dont plan on moving it alot with alot of action I might as well turn it of to get the full resolution and when one needs to run with the camera it might be better to settle with 1080p and get inteligent steady.
Because in 4K with IS its still pretty clear to the viewer that its a phone video anyway.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I still haven't seen any 4K samples from the Z3. I never owned the Z2, but the samples I saw online were enough to convince me not to pursue it.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Found a few. Better than the Z2, but still not in the same league, for the most part, as the S5 IMO.

On the plus side, the audio is much better than the tinny sound that was so prevalent on every Z2 video I saw. The overall PQ seems a bit better too, but that wasn't a high bar to better. It still seems that detail can be decidedly mushy relative to the S5, particularly in those videos where it appears that IS has been engaged. What I do like is that the Sony colors, although too blue with what I guess is AWB, don't seem to be overdone as in my S5. I'm assuming there's an outdoor preset that might help alleviate this tendency toward blue. I've also noticed the sharpest videos are the shakiest ones. So I'm not sure how much IS is detracting from overall detail.

This one appears sharper, but it looks like IS is not engaged:

Last edited by Ken Ross; 10-16-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:45 AM

To my eyes the Z3, s5 and Alpha isn't looking like anything less than another smartphone (I used all three today).

I like the Z3 so far but the camera on a smartphone is IMO just a gimmick and something I rarely use.

For me it's been the sub 6" screen and Android thats been the obstacles to overcome.
The screen was easy to get used to since it's so nice and Android is kinda fun even if it crashes sometimes (2 times in 3 weeks compared to 0 times during 2 years with Wp).

Also I don't like that Google is removing 1080p on youtube on most devices to reinstall it as a "new" feature in Android 5.
I still have it as long as I don't update the app.

Last edited by Mattias Burling; 10-17-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone interested in the 5.5" DCI Cinema 4K OnePlus One smartphone I have an invite I just received that I am not using if you are interested. The 64GB version is $349 compared to the 5.5" iPhone 6+ for $849 without contract.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Joe, I actually felt this was some of the best cellphone video I've seen. Colors looked natural and not overdone, sharpness & detail were very nice and the overall look was 'less' cellphony than many cellphone cameras.

With that said, the brief look at the phone itself at the beginning of the video, looked a bit crude in terms of the OS or whatever was done to the OS. That would scare me since, let's face it, you'll be using this as a smartphone 95% of the time. At least I will.

But the video was very nice and certainly not hurt by the shooter mounting it on a tripod or other stabilizing device.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just got the OnePlus One Ken. The OS works fine. It's Android KitKat 4.4.4 with Cyanogenmod's enhancements to the OS. Kinda like all cellphone manufactures do with their custom skins to Android, like the Samsung Galaxy's S5's Touchwiz. Cyanogenmod's enhancements aren't nearly as power or resource hogging as Touchwiz or other cell phone manufacturers custom UI's. It's as close to pure Android as your going to get except for a Google phone or Motorola's Moto X.

Here is a link to some info about Cyanogenmod...

http://oneplus.net/one#cyanogenmod

Here is quick test footage of some 4K Cinematic I shot recently. I have more footage and will try to post some in the future.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
Old 10-17-2014, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Joe, I actually felt this was some of the best cellphone video I've seen. Colors looked natural and not overdone, sharpness & detail were very nice and the overall look was 'less' cellphony than many cellphone cameras.

With that said, the brief look at the phone itself at the beginning of the video, looked a bit crude in terms of the OS or whatever was done to the OS. That would scare me since, let's face it, you'll be using this as a smartphone 95% of the time. At least I will.

But the video was very nice and certainly not hurt by the shooter mounting it on a tripod or other stabilizing device.
Ken, most people who like Google Android OS prefer the OS in the OnePlus One than the Samsung smartphones with all the bloatware.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice of you to offer an invite jogiba. They might be harder to get soon since most people were hoping for a low price point for the Nexus 6 rather than getting the One. The Nexus 6's price and size shocked some for sure.

I've been putting the One thru it's paces and I have no complaints with it so far. It's very fast and fluid when using it. It's fine in all aspects of cell phone usage. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheaper high end cell phone.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tingam, your posted video was really very nice! Better than my S5 in terms of the 'naturalness' of the output. As I saw in the other video, these videos seem to look less 'cellphony' than others. They're more 'laid back' yet with very nice detail.

Does this phone work on AT&T in terms of LTE reception?
Old 10-18-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Tingam, your posted video was really very nice! Better than my S5 in terms of the 'naturalness' of the output. As I saw in the other video, these videos seem to look less 'cellphony' than others. They're more 'laid back' yet with very nice detail.

Ken, here are some threads on AT&T LTE with the OnePlus One :
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/a....41396/page-13
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/a...-mobile.41396/
Old 10-18-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now back to Sony with news of the Z4 !

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-...camera_id61875
Old 10-18-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is a video I just found comparing the IS of the Sony Z3 vs iPhone 6 that also has a Sony camera but only 8mp vs 20mp for the Z3.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

IS seems better on the Sony.
Color is better on the IPhone thanks to the persistent too blue WB of the Sony.
Sound quality also seemed better on the IPhone.

Overall, I'd have to pick the IPhone as the overall better camera for video. Of course still no 4K for the IPhone which is inexcusable at this point.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it will work on AT&T and T-Mobile networks. It won't work on Verizon or Sprint. I'll most likely create a thread here on the OnePlus One since I have more video to post and don't want to derail this thread. I haven't shot too much video with it yet because I have spent the last 2 weeks mostly assessing it's cell phone functionality and OS. You have 14 days to return the phone, no questions asked.

I like what I have seen from it video wise though. It's on par with the Galaxy S5's 4k to my eyes. There are lots of 4k video clips from it on YouTube, including the one jogiba posted, which is nice.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I like the S5 4K video, but like some 4K cameras, I find the colors a bit over the top. Sometimes more than a 'bit'.