Old RX100 pressed into action - sample - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 4 Post By bsprague
  • 2 Post By Ungermann
  • 2 Post By nickoakdl

post #1 of 9 Old 11-26-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Old RX100 pressed into action - sample

The forum has progressed since I started and is clearly learning about the new series of 4K cameras. In the spirit of occasionally sharing what we do with our cameras, I hope you enjoy my recent video.

I snuck my old pocket sized RX100 (version 1) into a Junior High School play. When the camera was new I started a topic about using it for video. The thread died quickly as the sample clips impressed no one. I've read that the third version has better video quality, but with cameras like the 4K LX100, it does not measure up.

I had to be in stealth mode. I was shooting where they said "video taping not allowed". My camera does not use tape. So,......

I neglected to set the camera up right for the weird lighting. I'd like to re-shoot, but can't. Conditions were far from ideal. I salvaged about 10 minutes.

FWIW, in various posts of mine over the last couple years, I've done a lot of bragging about my granddaughters that are my "partners" in learning video. I've shared very little about them for privacy reasons. In this case they are performing in a public play called "Spy School" that was viewed by about 1,000 in four performances and it was "taped" by a pro with crappy SD equipment for public distribution on DVDs.

My favorite scene is the only one with both of my granddaughters. It starts at 10 seconds. The younger one is training the older one to be a spy by demanding her to exercise.

I hope you enjoy a few minutes with who I think may be the most wonderful young women on the planet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-16-2017, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 101
post #3 of 9 Old 09-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Man, what an excellent videography and editing! It makes our arguments over 4K or HD or what particular equipment is better than another seem so silly.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-16-2017, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
Man, what an excellent videography and editing! It makes our arguments over 4K or HD or what particular equipment is better than another seem so silly.
Precisely.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-16-2017, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I WANT to buy a camcorder. I hate my RX100 III because it has made it so I can never buy a camcorder that I'll be happy with. I WANT more zoom. I WANT quicker focus, but EVERY camcorder I have bought (even ones that cost much more than my camera) does not come anywhere close to the video quality of my RX100 III. The only way I'll be able to match the video quality is if I'm willing to spend $3k and lug around something the size of a football (which I'm not).

If you are someone who believes that ignorance is bliss, do yourself a favor and never buy an RX100. They will set unreasonable exceptions that you will spend many hours and nights trying to defy.
Ungermann and Geani66 like this.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-17-2017, 02:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post
I WANT to buy a camcorder. I hate my RX100 III because it has made it so I can never buy a camcorder that I'll be happy with. I WANT more zoom. I WANT quicker focus, but EVERY camcorder I have bought (even ones that cost much more than my camera) does not come anywhere close to the video quality of my RX100 III. The only way I'll be able to match the video quality is if I'm willing to spend $3k and lug around something the size of a football (which I'm not).

If you are someone who believes that ignorance is bliss, do yourself a favor and never buy an RX100. They will set unreasonable exceptions that you will spend many hours and nights trying to defy.
You're absolutely right...
post #7 of 9 Old 09-17-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
The forum has progressed since I started and is clearly learning about the new series of 4K cameras. In the spirit of occasionally sharing what we do with our cameras, I hope you enjoy my recent video.

I snuck my old pocket sized RX100 (version 1) into a Junior High School play. When the camera was new I started a topic about using it for video. The thread died quickly as the sample clips impressed no one. I've read that the third version has better video quality, but with cameras like the 4K LX100, it does not measure up.

I had to be in stealth mode. I was shooting where they said "video taping not allowed". My camera does not use tape. So,......

I neglected to set the camera up right for the weird lighting. I'd like to re-shoot, but can't. Conditions were far from ideal. I salvaged about 10 minutes.

FWIW, in various posts of mine over the last couple years, I've done a lot of bragging about my granddaughters that are my "partners" in learning video. I've shared very little about them for privacy reasons. In this case they are performing in a public play called "Spy School" that was viewed by about 1,000 in four performances and it was "taped" by a pro with crappy SD equipment for public distribution on DVDs.

My favorite scene is the only one with both of my granddaughters. It starts at 10 seconds. The younger one is training the older one to be a spy by demanding her to exercise.

I hope you enjoy a few minutes with who I think may be the most wonderful young women on the planet.

I appreciate the difficulty of shooting on-stage action from the audience. And just getting the stage stuff without heads in the way, and stable, is fantastic.

But, let's try to make this even better. The problems are:

1. Blown out faces and shirts.
2. Subjects are yellow.

I think both issues can be easily fixed, and then this will great - you can salvage what you have.

Use WB in post to correct the yellow faces. Just adjust until the face colors look right. You may want to first correct the hotspotting, so there is actually more color to work with.

Use curves to lower the highlights, or just reduce the luminance, but better to lower highlights and not also lower the shadows. Basically the default contrast is to high, but that can be fixed. I bet a lot of those hot spots will go away and you will have real color if you adjust down the highlights. There is a lot of latitude in the RX100 clips.

Last edited by markr041; 09-17-2017 at 09:37 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-17-2017, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geani66 View Post
You're absolutely right...
I realized my best bet is to just upgrade to the RX100 V, which fixes the focus problem in a major way. I'll just have to live without much zoom. The picture is so pretty that I can live with that.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-18-2017, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
I appreciate the difficulty of shooting on-stage action from the audience. And just getting the stage stuff without heads in the way, and stable, is fantastic.

But, let's try to make this even better. The problems are:

1. Blown out faces and shirts.
2. Subjects are yellow.

I think both issues can be easily fixed, and then this will great - you can salvage what you have.

Use WB in post to correct the yellow faces. Just adjust until the face colors look right. You may want to first correct the hotspotting, so there is actually more color to work with.

Use curves to lower the highlights, or just reduce the luminance, but better to lower highlights and not also lower the shadows. Basically the default contrast is to high, but that can be fixed. I bet a lot of those hot spots will go away and you will have real color if you adjust down the highlights. There is a lot of latitude in the RX100 clips.
Thanks for the tips Mark. I did that video nearly three years ago when my granddaughters were in Junior High. The older one is now a senior in high school. About the time I shot that footage I was shopping for 4K and got a LX100. The RX100 (version 1) has sadly rested on the shelf since.

My NLE has changed too! I'm still on Premier Elements, but on an updated version. New versions of Premiere Elements don't always play well with projects from old versions. In other words, I'm not sure I'm motivated to re-do the Spy School video. I doubt the real target audience will view it enough to justify the efforts.

My current efforts are centered on what to do with 75 GB of footage and stills I shot last month in Europe. No doubt it is all tourist footage, but we went to some wonderful places. As tourist footage, lots of it was quickly hand shot with little chance to set up. It is all 4K and I have a 4K TV. It is the first major trip where I've been able to do that.

Again, thanks for the tips! They are always welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page