AVS Forum banner

4K Sony FDR-AX33 thread

61K views 319 replies 70 participants last post by  Bejoy 
#1 ·
Since there will be many posts for the new 4K Sony FDR-AX33 with 4K sample videos I started it's own thread.
https://vimeo.com/116142485

Well, let me get strait to the point. It never happened. This camera is NOT aimed for the serious shooter. My attempt to shoot with it “a real life story” ended up after couple of hours. The reason is simple. You can not be fully creative and control every (basic) aspect of the camera functions. Instead, the camera will “control you”. There is absolutely no way of dialling Iris, shutter and gain to manual position at the same time. Just when you got one right, the other will automatically “jump” into “auto mode”.
Before I get to hear “what can you expect from an under $1000 product?”, let me explain… If it is an entry level product, then don’t include features which are there for what seems to be marketing purposes only. “Zebra” (besides living happily in protected safaris), is a feature which aimed to help the advanced shooter to properly expose his/her video. What sense there is to include such a feature if you simply can not control your exposure manually anyway? While iris CAN be controlled manually, Sony’s “exposure” feature kicks in automatically, blocking you from achieving proper accurate results. (“Exposure” is Sony’s feature that enables you to control the total EV. The camera may change gain, F No. or shutter speed automatically).
Not being able to conduct my original shooting idea, I ended up taking few sample shots which were all done in 4K 100Mbps 25p, “intelligent auto” mode . I was also testing the “Balanced Optical SteadyShot” (working very nice) and “lowlight capability” (less then satisfactory), but those shots did not make it to the final video above.
Despite of all the written above, there are some positive points in favour of Sony’s FDR AX33. (which led me to think that if Sony wanted, they could have given us a totally different level of productivity from this little camera).
Here is a short list of what I liked:
-Good autofocus in video mode
-Good Balanced Optical SteadyShot
-Nice smooth “change focus” possibility by pressing the accurate touch screen
-The ability to achieve smooth slow in/out zoom while using the variable rocker
-Long lasting battery
-Clever hidden USB cable for external charging
-Sony’s professional XLR attachment (XLR-K2M) can be attached and be used for greater audio flexibility
-XAVC-S codec
-24/25p switchable
-Mic in and manual audio control
-Headphone jack
-“Quick camera start-up” by pulling the EVF out
-“Build in” projector which guaranty to fascinate your little kids
What could be (much) improved:
-Less the satisfactory lowlight video quality
-“In camera” charging
-Low quality EVF
-EVF diopter is poorly placed on the right hand side. Almost after very time of pulling the the EVF out, new eye focusing adjustment need to be done.
-Limited dynamic range
-Severe rolling shutter
-Very strong chromatic aberration
-No total manual control
-Information will disappear very quickly from the LCD screen.
-Confusing menu structure
Summery:
For the occasional parents who just bought a new shiny 4K TV and wants to have the latest modestly priced 4K handycam, this camcorder might be the solution. When doing so, please take in account that this camcorder is capable of producing decent picture quality only in properly lit locations.
http://www.cinema5d.com/exclusive-sony-fdrax33-4k-handycam/

#169 · (Edited)
Most excellent & thanks so much for this very fast reply.
Will buy & shoot today, will report some findings as I encounter them.

+++

Have the cam, just hooked it up over hdmi: clean live output straight to my TV.
Excellent.
Will do further testing with my Blackmagic Design Intensity Extreme.

+++
June 18:

Did some initial testing with the clean live hdmi output of the Sony AX33:
captured it with my Blackmagic Design Intensity Extreme (Thunderbolt) on my Macbook Pro:
worked just fine. Was able to preview and record in the Blackmagic software (Media Express).
Playback from a clip recorded on the AX33's sd-card to the BMD IE also works.
Audio works, both ways (record to computer & playback from the camera to computer).
Settings on the BMD IE were 1080i50 (use 60 when in USA).
Recordings in the Media Express QuickTime Uncompressed 8-bit YUV are huge of course, e.g. 22 GB for a 3m30sec test clip.
While capturing (using the clean hdmi live out), you can AT THE SAME TIME also record on the camera (SD card). Not sure if this will work for all combinations, e.g. full HD out and 4K recording on sd. Will do further testing.

Please find below the params that the recorded .mov's (Mac side) give, as per MediaInfo.

Attachments

#170 · (Edited)
I just came across this info and thought I would share it with you......

There is a German site called www.slashcam.de that does very good reviews of camcorders or all types including the FDR-AX33 and the AX100.
They go into a LOT more detail than other sites including actual resolution capability - Chroma/Luma.
As my own informal tests showed, the FDR-AX100 is capable of recording significantly more 4K detail and better low light performance than the AX33.
Here's a couple of links if you're interested in the nitty gritty details.

http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Sony-FDR-AXP33---Alles-anders-mit-4K---Die-Bildqualitaet.html

http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test...n-aller-Kuerze---Aus-dem-Messlabor.html#Sonst

I used Google Translate to read the text. (If you use Google search for "FDR-AX33 test"and "FDR-AX100 test" you can select TRANSLATE from the search results that link to slashcam.de

Here's a couple of pic's showing the resolution of the 2 camcorders. It's a 1080P chart where the smallest spaced circles represent full 1080P, but in this case - 2160P as they were shot to take up only 1/4 of the screen.
By the way, just for reference, very very few 1080P consumer camcorders are capable of showing the finest 1080P detail. (the JVC GZ-HM1 and the Panasonic HDC-TM700 are 2 of them)

Attachments

#172 ·
As my own informal tests showed, the FDR-AX100 is capable of recording significantly more 4K detail and better low light performance than the AX33.
Here's a couple of links if you're interested in the nitty gritty details.

I love both my sony ax33 and ax100.

the sony ax33 is like a point n shot camera. while the ax100 is like a dslr camera.

#173 ·
No, actually you don't. I've owned a great many camcorders over the last 20 years and have generally been quite pleased with the performance of almost all of them (6 of them being Sony). I expected the low light performance of the AX33 to be inferior to the AX100 but I DID NOT expect to see such a large discrepancy in recording 4K detail - which is, after all, why most of us are buying the 4K camcorders.
I do a fair bit of research on-line before making my buying decision and include sites like this. You have to consider that a lot of the readers here have not yet purchased their new camcorder and are looking for detailed information that will help them to decide. If I had come across the information I included in my previous post, I would have gone straight to the AX100 instead of the hassle of purchasing, testing, and returning the AX33.
Now that the price difference is as little as a few hundred dollars, a person would have to carefully consider the pros and cons of both units before making their decision.
I am really not trying to slag the AX33. It is a wonderful little camcorder but unfortunately its 4K performance falls far short of its bigger brother (save for the fabulous BOSS) and people who visit these sites looking for information, need to know that.

#174 · (Edited)
Please don't not underestimate my intelligence. Don't project your reality upon others. You are slagging the camcorder. You perhaps should've done more research and then you would've managed your expectations better. I seldom see "pros" posted about the camcorder BUT I do see quite a few AX100 owners posting here about what a piece of ****e the AX33 is. It seems as if there are people hell bent on making anyone who bought the AX33 feel badly. I can afford any friggin' camera on the market. I'm just not that into it -- like many other people. The AX33 suits me fine. It's on sale for $898.00. I just happened to cruise by the forum today to learn what my fellow AX33 owners are up to and again I find posts (as always) about how the AX33 isn't the AX100. If you respond please don't quote me as I have no interest in coming to this sub forum again.

I don't mean to be too hard on you. You can post whatever you want. Maybe you are trying to be of service but try and see it from my point of view, okay? A 1/2 inch lens will not compete with a 1" lens in an way shape or form.

#175 ·
No problem. I have thick skin. Others obviously don't. My aim was to educate and help but I recognize that negative comments are difficult for some people to accept or maybe they just don't care. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have always prioritized the highest possible resolution going all the way back to my first comb filter CRT set.
Don't want to hijack this thread and make it nastier so this will be my final comment re: AX33 performance.

#176 ·
I did what a few others have done here and returned the AX33 for the AX100. If you have the cash you really need both. I especially miss the BOSS on the AX33 and how much more compact/lighter it was than than the AX100. Even with the latest firmware, the OS on the AX100 is pitiful compared to my 7 year old Canon camcorder... IF you want non-nauseating tele shots with the AX100, a mono/tripod is always necessary unless you can brace yourself. OTOH I was able to get some decent footage with AX33 zoomed all the way in handheld. Yes, it's nowhere near as sharp, along with more distortion/purple fringing as the AX100, but at least you won't get sick watching tele footage.

Believe it or not, the thing I appreciate most with the AX100 is the built in ND filter as I do a lot of recording outdoors in bright light. Both camcorders do best at 1/60 shutter speed with action and I would need to carry a ND filter set with the AX33...

Now that the AX33 is going for $899, it's basically almost half the cost as the AX100. Making it almost tempting to go back again to the AX33 as I'm not appreciating carrying a Sachtler tripod to my sons' games....

#177 ·
Agree 100% just came back from Europe took the AX-33 and the Action cam 4k perfect for traveling and carrying around, 6 cards of 64 GB each, The BOSS stabilizer is a must if you walk and gun and performs superbly, as far as quality of 4k I have not seen that much different once it is viewed on a 4K monitor the AX-33 and the Action Cam 4k look superb to me. Always a Canon guy before, Sony has outdone themselves with the AX-33. I left my Canon AX-20 sitting the closet gathering dust, maybe I'll re-invest when the AX-100 is redone again with a better stabilizer. Maybe.

Thanks
Luidoly

#178 · (Edited)
AX-33 Three months in...

I have been using the AX-33 since March. I like its' light weight, BOSS, wide-angle lens, ability to focus down to less than 1 inch (in wide mode), ability to add filters, spot metering and focus and its 4K resolution is way better than my HD camcorder - maybe it's not as good as last years' 100 model but for the price (around $860 now), it fills a need. I like that it still has a viewfinder - although Sony seems to have forgotten that some people use it almost exclusively (see comments below). I prefer color saturation, so I'm glad they included a "Velvia" mode - otherwise known as "vivid" and in this case, "Pop color" mode (?). I'm glad you can control the camera shooting considerably (especially useful in photo mode) with the usual "f'' stop (Iris), shutter speed, manual focus, etc. Don't know when Sony returned to a manual ring, I remember my sony HD camcorder was the last to have it before they switched to a knob - glad to see the ring back.

I dislike its low-light performance (much worse than my Sony HD camcorder from 8 years ago (UX1 which used mini-dvds), its Voice canceling button having to be pressed over and over because it turns off after any change in your menu settings - including switching to photo mode for a shot then switching back to video mode and its location inside the LCD flipout (People do use the viewfinder in outdoors when the sun makes seeing the LCD impossible! No buttons should be inside the flipout LCD - they should be located outside for users who don't often use the LCD! Speaking of buttons, why have only a voice-canceling button. Why not make several buttons that the user can program for his favorite functions. Yes, it has the 3 user defined "My Buttons" on the left side of the LCD screen which I am sure is helpful to those who always use the LCD screen - but these are useless for one who primarily shoots thru the traditional viewfinder. I don't like using the LCD screen except when I have to - like shooting above or below eye level. I hate the AX-33's nagging reminder of the status of your manual ring everytime you attempt to adjust a polarizer (if you move the ring ever so slightly in the process, a message appears on the viewfinder stating ring is not activated - a big pain if you use a polarizer!). And there is a glitch in the white-balance function where it alters the balance even when you have it set to "outdoors". I have had to switch it to auto to get a new balance and sometimes that doesn't work and I have to turn the camera off and back on to get the correct balance. I also have to offset the auto-exposure with AE Shift as I did with my previous Sony camcorder to avoid over-exposure of video/stills. Thankfully, it retains my setting even after turning camera off and back on. And what happened to close-up mode? there is no "tulip" mode for flower or insect/butterfly shots unless you are in "Intelligent Auto" mode - at least I have not found it! The only way to take close-ups without being right on top of the subject is to be in Intelligent Auto mode where there seems to be more latitude when using the zoom with close-up shooting.

There is a learning curve to using a 4K camera. You must pan 4x as slowly to not end up with the camera failing to keep up (even using fast SDXC cards - not the cheapos under 50 bucks). You must be 16x as steady with any panning in telephoto mode or avoid panning or go back to using a tripod and motorized pan-head (although my old motorized pan-head might move too fast for 4K anyway). I have done experimenting with pan speed. My shooting is almost always wide-angle and panning 180 degrees should take 50-60secs. for a decent picture (faster than that - you won't be happy with the results). I got this camera because I don't want to lug a tripod or motorized head...yeah, I wish the BOSS worked better to allow me to shoot while moving without jerkiness - maybe one day camcorders will, but not today!

Sounds like maybe I'd be happier with something else....but I'm retired and I have a limit to what I can spend on non-essentials. We can always say another camera is better (i.e. the AX-100) but is it twice as good? And I'm sure if I spent twice the cost of the 100, I could find something better than that...maybe Canon's new 4K camera...and so it goes.:eek:

#179 ·
I have been using the AX-33 since March. I like its' light weight, BOSS, wide-angle lens, ability to focus down to less than 1 inch (in wide mode), ability to add filters, spot metering and focus and its 4K resolution is way better than my HD camcorder - maybe it's not as good as last years' 100 model but for the price (around $860 now), it fills a need. I like that it still has a viewfinder - although Sony seems to have forgotten that some people use it almost exclusively (see comments below). I prefer color saturation, so I'm glad they included a "Velvia" mode - otherwise known as "vivid" and in this case, "Pop color" mode (?). I'm glad you can control the camera shooting considerably (especially useful in photo mode) with the usual "f'' stop (Iris), shutter speed, manual focus, etc. Don't know when Sony returned to a manual ring, I remember my sony HD camcorder was the last to have it before they switched to a knob - glad to see the ring back.

I dislike its low-light performance (much worse than my Sony HD camcorder from 8 years ago (UX1 which used mini-dvds), its Voice canceling button having to be pressed over and over because it turns off after any change in your menu settings - including switching to photo mode for a shot then switching back to video mode and its location inside the LCD flipout (People do use the viewfinder in outdoors when the sun makes seeing the LCD impossible! No buttons should be inside the flipout LCD - they should be located outside for users who don't often use the LCD! Speaking of buttons, why have only a voice-canceling button. Why not make several buttons that the user can program for his favorite functions. Yes, it has the 3 user defined "My Buttons" on the left side of the LCD screen which I am sure is helpful to those who always use the LCD screen - but these are useless for one who primarily shoots thru the traditional viewfinder. I don't like using the LCD screen except when I have to - like shooting above or below eye level. I hate the AX-33's nagging reminder of the status of your manual ring everytime you attempt to adjust a polarizer (if you move the ring ever so slightly in the process, a message appears on the viewfinder stating ring is not activated - a big pain if you use a polarizer!). And there is a glitch in the white-balance function where it alters the balance even when you have it set to "outdoors". I have had to switch it to auto to get a new balance and sometimes that doesn't work and I have to turn the camera off and back on to get the correct balance. I also have to offset the auto-exposure with AE Shift as I did with my previous Sony camcorder to avoid over-exposure of video/stills. Thankfully, it retains my setting even after turning camera off and back on. And what happened to close-up mode? there is no "tulip" mode for flower or insect/butterfly shots unless you are in "Intelligent Auto" mode - at least I have not found it! The only way to take close-ups without being right on top of the subject is to be in Intelligent Auto mode where there seems to be more latitude when using the zoom with close-up shooting.

There is a learning curve to using a 4K camera. You must pan 4x as slowly to not end up with the camera failing to keep up (even using fast SDXC cards - not the cheapos under 50 bucks). You must be 16x as steady with any panning in telephoto mode or avoid panning or go back to using a tripod and motorized pan-head (although my old motorized pan-head might move too fast for 4K anyway). I have done experimenting with pan speed. My shooting is almost always wide-angle and panning 180 degrees should take 50-60secs. for a decent picture (faster than that - you won't be happy with the results). I got this camera because I don't want to lug a tripod or motorized head...yeah, I wish the BOSS worked better to allow me to shoot while moving without jerkiness - maybe one day camcorders will, but not today!

Sounds like maybe I'd be happier with something else....but I'm retired and I have a limit to what I can spend on non-essentials. We can always say another camera is better (i.e. the AX-100) but is it twice as good? And I'm sure if I spent twice the cost of the 100, I could find something better than that...maybe Canon's new 4K camera...and so it goes.:eek:

Excellent report, I have the 100 and much you said applies there also, other than low light sensitivity and BOSS.

Eugene

#182 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
Not sure how it relates to 4K. I suppose it is because of 30fps frame rate - AFAIK, the AX33 cannot shoot 4Kp60.
-----no, it can't but I plan to experiment with shooting in the XAVC HD mode at 60p and letting my TV upscale to 4K to see if it is on par, better or worse than shooting at 4K 30p. My guess is less detail, less sharpness in image...has anyone played around with this?

gary-in-dc
yes i have used the XAVC-HD MODE and I find it very good for HD, it is superb and most definitely better than AVCHD even at a high bit rate, it will never give you the clean super sharp image of 4K but I consider it to be a super codec for for HD. I called super HD.
I agree with you in most of your points, the AX-33 is a really fun camera to have, easy to travel with and the BOSS stabilizer is a dream, now that I have a 4K monitor I still cannot see that much difference in PQ between it and the AX-100.

Thanks,
Luidoly

#188 ·
That's the downside of the BOSS design. Any optical system where the plane of the main optical group and the plane of the auxiliary mount can't be kept parallel to each other will cause some distortion when a separate optical piece or group is fitted on that mount. In your case I think it should be OK to mount just a protection filter directly on it (52mm?) since the distortion would be practically unnoticeable or hardly noticeable. My PJ760VE came with a 52mm-37mm step down ring to allow some Sony-made attachments to mount via this ring on the camera but either Steadyshot mode has to be switched off.

#191 ·
Hello Guys, just wanted to join in and let you know about my feedbacks for the AX33. I was using an HDR-FX1 however for family records it was a tad too big. So i purchased the stupidest thing i could purchase, a sony HDR CX220. It was so small i couldn't resist. I went to cuba with it and the footage at the beach was really really nice. But low light was really bad. So bad i had to use the HDR-FX1 but for birthdays partys at home, it's just too big.

So about a month ago, i started shopping. I had hesitation between the AX33 and AX100. The fact that i'm not a professional and wanted to shoot mainly in HD, i decided to go with the AX33 because of the BOSS system. Some will argue that i should had went with the AX100 bigger 1 inch censor. But really in my case and with my use, the best decision was to go with the BOSS AX33. I am more a prosumer then a professional. I use my camcorder mainly for memory. Yes i want good quality footage because i'm 32 and when i retire at 65, and want to look at my souvenir videos, i want to enjoy it even if at this time, the monitor quality will be 32K resolution lol !

i must say i'm in love with it.

I use Peek, and 100 Zebras. I turn the exposition low a tad and use manual focus. That is how i usually shoot.

I was really impress with a shot i did last week while the cam was in auto focus mode. ( didn't use the focus lock feature ) i was on my backyard deck recording my 3 years old daughter running in the backyard. At one time, following her run, i zoomed in on her face. There was thre and plants between her and me as she run and, when i checked the footage, the focus didn't let go of her once. I think from what i heard the focus on a small sensor is quicker than on a bigger one.

I'm currently shooting in AVCHD highest quality and here is my workflow and where i need your help :

I create a new library in FCPX that i set up on the desktop.

I import my footage from FCPX.

Then i close the library and quit FCPX.

I right click on the library on my desktop and click show package content.

Then, i move my .mov files to my portable 2TB hard drive.

Then i delete the library and format my AX33 card.

This way, i can plug my Hard drive to my Samsung 60 inches un60es8000 and play the .mov files on my TV.

xavc-s files, in HD or 4K, using the same process won't play on my television, so this is the reason i'm using avchd. ( i think the USB port on my TV won't accept more then 30mps files )

SO, with my HDR FX1, i could plug it via HDMI on my TV and listen to the videos this way.

I know i can do the same thing with the AX33, but, since i don't keep the files on my camcorder, do you think it's possible to send files from my imac to the handycam ?

This way i could play 4K or xavchd-s files by hdmi on my tv. ( i tried and the tv plays them fine ) but since i like to keep my card empty, it would be nice like before my inlaws would get home, i could upload some footage to the cam and play 4K or xavchd S which i can't do with by hard drive ???

I tried different ways but everytime, when looking on the playback menu from the camcorder, it won't show the .mov uploaded movies....

I hope someone can help me with this since it's the only reason i'm not yet recording in 4K. ( i know my TV is 1080 and won't show true 4K, but i still want to record in 4K for the future and my TV downscale the 4K to HD fine true HDMI )

Cheers !

#207 ·
Here you go !!!

What lens hood are you using? I purchased a similar lens hood (but a tad smaller I think) which I attach to a 52mm filter. The problem is, if I slowly pan, I notice slight vignetting at the edges of the frame while using BOSS. I would like to know how you set up works. The lens hood you are using seems a bit oversized, which I'm sure, would work well.

Cheers

#195 ·
Shoot in 4K to preserve those memories in the best resolution

"The fact that i'm not a professional and wanted to shoot mainly in HD, i decided to go with the AX33 because of the BOSS system. I am more a prosumer then a professional. I use my camcorder mainly for memory. Yes i want good quality footage because i'm 32 and when i retire at 65, and want to look at my souvenir videos, i want to enjoy it even if at this time, the monitor quality will be 32K resolution lol !"

You will regret when you are 65 that you did not shoot in 4K. Why would you not want to shoot at the highest quality?

#196 ·
"The fact that i'm not a professional and wanted to shoot mainly in HD, i decided to go with the AX33 because of the BOSS system. I am more a prosumer then a professional. I use my camcorder mainly for memory. Yes i want good quality footage because i'm 32 and when i retire at 65, and want to look at my souvenir videos, i want to enjoy it even if at this time, the monitor quality will be 32K resolution lol !"

You will regret when you are 65 that you did not shoot in 4K. Why would you not want to shoot at the highest quality?
didn't you read all the way ? here is the last line of my post : I hope someone can help me with this since it's the only reason i'm not yet recording in 4K.

#198 ·
LOL ! i'm french canadian so sorry about that. Yes, i wanted to buy a HD handycam. Purchased the 4K, still shooting in HD cause i can't find a nice workflow to save the 4K files to HDD and being able to " SHARE " them on my TV set.

I would really like to be able to upload them to the handicam and play them on the TV from there. but i'm not able to do this. I don't want to have to keep 4K files and on top of that create HD and have to keep both format for size reason. I only have a 2tb HDD. And this would also mean a longer workflow which i want to avoid.

Yeah, i could always buy a mac mini to plug on my TV and use this to play the videos, however, i would prefer to avoid that expense. ( my 2011 mac book air won't play 4K without lag ) however, my imac at the office is playing them fine.... but the cable to plug my office imac to my home television would need to be 7 km long, lol !!!

If anyone has a good idea, let me know !!

#199 ·
LOL ! i'm french canadian so sorry about that. Yes, i wanted to buy a HD handycam. Purchased the 4K, still shooting in HD cause i can't find a nice workflow to save the 4K files to HDD and being able to " SHARE " them on my TV set.

I would really like to be able to upload them to the handicam and play them on the TV from there. but i'm not able to do this. I don't want to have to keep 4K files and on top of that create HD and have to keep both format for size reason. I only have a 2tb HDD. And this would also mean a longer workflow which i want to avoid.

Yeah, i could always buy a mac mini to plug on my TV and use this to play the videos, however, i would prefer to avoid that expense. ( my 2011 mac book air won't play 4K without lag ) however, my imac at the office is playing them fine.... but the cable to plug my office imac to my home television would need to be 7 km long, lol !!!

If anyone has a good idea, let me know !!

You want to share, so I assume you do not "share" raw clips. If you want to be polite to your audience, you want to show them edited videos, where you at a minimum eliminate poorly shot or irrelevant clips and you can shorten everything and organize the shots in an interesting sequence.

If you want to "share" edited videos, and not just clips (please), then you have to convert the clips anyway. Converting 4K clips to a sharable HD video takes not much more time (and no more effort from you) than editing and rendering HD clips to an HD video. This "tip" involves no additional expense and allows you to shoot 4K.

#200 ·
NO, i really want to share clips.... it's parcel of life, they don't need to be edited. I will sometimes edit them to make a " movie ", however, i will share most of the time " RAW " files. When i shoot, i take this in consideration so my clips are fully presentable or " polite " like you say. if a clip is not, i will edit it, or delete it, but no, i don't edit those clips that much.

I'm not talking about projects, wedding, or stuff like this. Video for " events " i will edit and do a " movie "

But for myself and my family, i just keep and share the raw clips. If i shoot photo, i don't work them all on photoshop. Family pictures are kept in a file " Raw " and the bad pictures are or adjusted, or deleted. That's the way i see my HOME videos....

#201 ·
NO, i really want to share clips.... it's parcel of life, they don't need to be edited. I will sometimes edit them to make a " movie ", however, i will share most of the time " RAW " files. When i shoot, i take this in consideration so my clips are fully presentable or " polite " like you say. if a clip is not, i will edit it, or delete it, but no, i don't edit those clips that much.

I'm not talking about projects, wedding, or stuff like this. Video for " events " i will edit and do a " movie "

But for myself and my family, i just keep and share the raw clips. If i shoot photo, i don't work them all on photoshop. Family pictures are kept in a file " Raw " and the bad pictures are or adjusted, or deleted. That's the way i see my HOME videos....

Let's try one more time. Does the camcorder produce .mov files (AVCHD files are .mts files)? If not, then your software program must be converting them from the AVCHD clips to .mov clips. You are already converting (just not editing).

So instead, just load your (wanted) 4K clips on the timeline and convert to HD .mov clips (or clips strung together to make a video without, heaven forbid, any editing) that will play on your TV. You are currently loading your AVCHD files to the program, so this is adding almost no additional burden on you.

#202 ·
Inside the camcorders, the files are .MTS files.

The one i use from the FCPX library, are .MOV files.

Here is step by step what i do :

1- open and save new fcpx library to desktop
2- import to fcpx
3- close fcpx library
4- quit fcpx
5- right click on desktop library : show package content.
6- open original media
7- drag those files ( .mov ) to HDD

DONE. this, for maybe 6 clips of HD with about 10 total minutes of footage will take me about 2 or 3 minutes to achieve from step 1 to 7.

Please explain the workflow you think i should use to have on my HDD, original 4K clips, as well as HD version. ?

Because, something else i could do is DUAL RECORD, this would make 4K videos and MPG4 videos available. I could store them on my HDD with 2 differents folders, and when i want to " share " i could go get the MPG4 files and show those to the people.... however, the quality wouldn't be as great as downscaled 4K right ?

Thanks for you help !

#203 ·
Inside the camcorders, the files are .MTS files.

The one i use from the FCPX library, are .MOV files.

Here is step by step what i do :

1- open and save new fcpx library to desktop
2- import to fcpx
3- close fcpx library
4- quit fcpx
5- right click on desktop library : show package content.
6- open original media
7- drag those files ( .mov ) to HDD

DONE. this, for maybe 6 clips of HD with about 10 total minutes of footage will take me about 2 or 3 minutes to achieve from step 1 to 7.

Please explain the workflow you think i should use to have on my HDD, original 4K clips, as well as HD version. ?

Because, something else i could do is DUAL RECORD, this would make 4K videos and MPG4 videos available. I could store them on my HDD with 2 differents folders, and when i want to " share " i could go get the MPG4 files and show those to the people.... however, the quality wouldn't be as great as downscaled 4K right ?

Thanks for you help !

I do not use Apple hardware, so know nothing about your software. Any editor, however, can easily convert 4K files to HD files. And, as I surmised, you are already converting each of your HD clips (.mts) to another HD file (.mov). In this case it appears you lose the originals? Is this a lossless conversion? If not, you are actually losing quality.

First best: Shoot and share 4K files. But you do not have the hardware to do it right now (forget ever transferring files back to an sd card for playing on your camera - cannot be done).

Second best: Shoot 4K, convert to HD files (little work by you) and you have maximum quality and are preserving precious memories at the highest resolution. Yes, you will have two sets of files. But storage is really cheap - do you know how many hours of 4K video shot at 100Mbps you can store on a 2TB drive? Something like 44. That's an $89 investment to store almost a lifetime of 4K-shot memories (check the math).

The dual mpeg files are much worse than your .mov and AVCHD files, let alone the 4K clips. So your audience might not be very impressed (you could have used a cell phone). But if they cannot tell the difference, then dual shooting is your answer.

#206 · (Edited)
Let me chime in if you don't mind! I think Mark has been doing a great job of stressing the need to preserve whatever you want to shoot and keep in 4K. The thing is if the 4K workflow happens to be too hard on you you can simply wait and figure it out later but if all you have on your memory cards or HDDs is HD files then it's all down from there presently and in the future that you can have.

So, let me try, the key is to strip the 4K video and audio from your camera out of those convoluted XAVC-S folders and associated secondary files and make them stand alone, simple, MP4 video and audio files. These stand alone files can then be saved on thumb drives, HDDs, most cheap media players on the market, or whatever storage or devices that can plug into the current 4K TV sets and let you play the video/audio files on them. .MOV files you normally get from FCPX are playable only on some, maybe very few, TV sets.

FCPX has a little problem in that it likes to work with and export ONLY to Quicktime (.MOV) and a few professional video formats. It doesn't export to .MP4 files that all the 4K HDTVs prefer or AVCHD or XAVC-S.

If you don't want to bother with editing your videos I think there's quite a few Mac-based applications you can find in the App Store that just simply convert the raw AVCHD or XAVC-S footage from your camera into the much more playable .MP4 format with NO effect on the video/audio content residing in those AVCHD or XAVC-S folders.

If somehow you want to stay with FCPX for any reason such as organization or archival, you can also convert the .MOV files from FCPX to .MP4 files using the free and excellent Handbrake app.

Once you have all your video clips laid out into separate and easily identifiable individual .MP4 clips it should be easy to figure out how to play them from there.

All the above is also applicable to the conversion of 4K videos into HD videos if you think no equipment you currently have would have difficulty playing back 4K videos.

#210 ·
Hey Mark, you might be right. I think what is keeping me from doing all this is that i want to " share " those vids to my television VIA USB.... so i'm currently shooting for my TV that won't accept more the 28mbs 60i. So i guess i should change my thinking and go 4K 30P @ 100 mbs. And find a way to play it on my TV instead of making a priority to have file size / format that will fit my TV...

ALLELUYA !

#211 · (Edited)
Hey Mark, you might be right. I think what is keeping me from doing all this is that i want to " share " those vids to my television VIA USB.... so i'm currently shooting for my TV that won't accept more the 28mbs 60i. So i guess i should change my thinking and go 4K 30P @ 100 mbs. And find a way to play it on my TV instead of making a priority to have file size / format that will fit my TV...

ALLELUYA !

Your future self (in 30 years) will be even more grateful you chose to shoot 4K now! :)

#213 ·
Hello 4-K, everything is screw on. The filter screw on the AX33, the step-up screw on the filter then the lens hood screw on the step up.

I will test out the 3 sizes i have this evening or tomorrow at the latest and drop the information here. I'll do the test once with the 3 sizes and not filter, then again with the filter.

Cheers !

#214 ·
Hello 4-K, everything is screw on. The filter screw on the AX33, the step-up screw on the filter then the lens hood screw on the step up.

I will test out the 3 sizes i have this evening or tomorrow at the latest and drop the information here. I'll do the test once with the 3 sizes and not filter, then again with the filter.

Cheers !

That is awesome my friend. Thank you very much.

Cheers

#225 ·
I had purchase a setup ring from 52mm to 67mm along with a tulip type lens hood. Pictures of the setup can be seen in a previous post. I'm not sure or not, but I was concerned that with all those items attached, it might have been affecting BOSS. At least from sample testing it appeared that way. So instead, I have opted for the hood that you show. It will arrive tomorrow. Thanks for providing the info.

Cheers

#221 ·
Hello. I am considering getting a AX33 to replace my Panasonic AC90 (great camera but to big). I have a couple of questions for those who have.

1. How is the rolling shutter effect in 4k and 1080 while panning or fast objects?
2. Photo quality using the photo mode and photos while doing video (4k 60mbps and 1080 modes) vs doing frame grabs from 4k video.
3. Can the hot shoe cover be removed?
4. When a mic is plugged in does the cord/plug get in the way of ones hand?

Thank you very much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.