Galaxy Alpha vs Sony Z3 in 4K Video - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-11-2015, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Galaxy Alpha vs Sony Z3 in 4K Video

Did a little shootout just for fun between my Sony Xperia Z3 and my girlfriends Alpha.

IMO they are very equal and one shouldn't choose between the to based on the cameras alone. Both are good enough for phones.

But if I must say something,
The Samsung has better AWB but is overly sharp.
The Sony has stabilization and what looks like a tad better DR.
So one might say the Sony is a tiny bit better than the Samsung regarding 4K video.

If one likes the sharpness in the Samsung its easy to ad in post and the WB can be corrected.
Some might feel "I don't want to spend time correcting footage from a phone".
IMO, I most likely would never edit something from a phone at all. But if I do and have already taken the time a few more seconds for correcting and adding sharpness is nothing.

Personally I would have a tough time choosing between them if I where buying one of them today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-11-2015, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 422
I have both phones right now, got the alpha for super cheap from a friend. I agree that both phones are great and both shoot great 4K. As far as a everything device goes, I'd take the Z3 every time. I like the size and layout a bit better.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #3 of 4 Old 01-11-2015, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I have both phones right now, got the alpha for super cheap from a friend. I agree that both phones are great and both shoot great 4K. As far as a everything device goes, I'd take the Z3 every time. I like the size and layout a bit better.
It is more rugged and I agree that the menus etc is nicer.
But still the Alpha has amore interesting design imo, is feather light and that screen is a god send on a bright day.

Great to have both I imagine
post #4 of 4 Old 01-11-2015, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I think you're right on to say the Alpha has the better AWB and the Z3 maybe better DR. The EIS on the Z3 gives it a clear edge though in terms of footage usability without doing any PP.

Just heard from some site on the web saying Samsung were about to discontinue the Alpha sometime about now as It had not been a sale "success" for them. On cellphone time everyone is forced by the sheer rate of component development to quickly move on. The mixing and overlapping of components used to make the phones make it difficult to create a meaningful distinction among them in the market, result-wise. So often the consumers themselves don't even have enough usage time to really tell which one is good or bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page