• 1 Post By intelaweb@comcast.net

post #1 of 9 Old 07-28-2015, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
4-K

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 0
4K DVD burner?

Now that we have 4K recording capabilities, do we have 4K burners available as yet? I've been trying to find one, but the best as I see right now are Blu-ray burners. Does anyone know of such a burner?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-28-2015, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 361
I don't think there will be 4K DVD burners coming. I use the StarTech USB 3.0 to Dual 2.5/3.5" HDD/SSD Docking Station with UASP and SSD's to store and play my 4K videos . You could also use low cost 7200 rpm 3.5" HDDs . In the last year I only have purchased SSDs since the prices are much lower than they were in the past.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._internal.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_1tb_2_5.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...dual_sata.html
post #3 of 9 Old 09-13-2017, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
4K DVD burner

Pioneer makes the first internal PC 4K burner, however there are steep PC requirements to be able to use it. Check out the excerpt from this article: (From Extreme Tech dot com)Pioneer announced a brace of new UHD Blu-ray burners today, the first we’ve seen debut for the PC market. Currently, if you want UHD playback, you need to pick up either a dedicated player or an Xbox One S — Sony’s PlayStation 4 Pro lacks UHD Blu-ray support, even though the Japanese company was instrumental to the development of Blu-ray itself.
The new BDR-S11J-BK and the BDR-S11J-X are both 5.25-inch drives that support nearly every optical read/write standard ever devised, including: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD±R, DVD±R DL, DVD±RW, DVD-RAM, BD-R SL/DL/TL/QL, BD-RE SL/DL/TL, BD-R LTH). They also read CDs, DVDs, BDs, and UHD Blu-ray films. Both drives feature a 4MB buffer for underrun protection and support 16x burning speeds on standard Blu-ray media.

Pioneer claims that the BDR-S11J-X contains some additional hardware for ensuring high-quality audio playback, but both drives support Pioneer’s PureRead 4+ and real Time PureRead software. Exact specifications on either standard are hard to come by since the native language is Japanese, but Pioneer claims both technologies are specifically useful when reading damaged audio discs.
4K UHD Blu-ray playback… if you meet the requirements

If you’ve followed our coverage of Netflix streaming requirements for 4K video and the significant hardware upgrades most systems would require, you know that content creators have gone out of their way to make 4K streaming as difficult as possible. Only seventh-generation Intel Kaybe Lake Hardware is 4K streaming capable, and it looks like a similar set of requirements are in place for UHD Blu-ray support.
In order to play UHD Blu-rays, your system must support AACS 2.0 and Intel’s Software Guard Extensions (SGX). You’ll need software to play the disc itself (CyberLink has an updated software solution set to ship in the near future), and a GPU with HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 support. AACS 2.0 also has to be implemented within the GPU driver, and no current stand-alone GPU drivers have this functionality. Finally, you need a 4K TV with both HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 support as well.
This is a tall order. No Intel chips before Skylake support SGX, and just owning a Skylake board isn’t enough — many desktop boards never implemented the feature and don’t support it in UEFI. The HDCP 2.2 support requirement is also dodgy, since not every Intel board supports that standard, either.

In theory, the UHD Blu-ray playback situation should be better than the 4K streaming situation, since at least 6th and 7th-generation Core chips are both supported. In practice, it seems to be every bit as much of a muddle and a problem. Support is limited to specific SKUs and motherboards with particular features, and the dependence on integrated graphics for decode support means that you can’t use UHD Blu-ray with any Intel HEDT system (HEDT refers to Intel’s E-class chips — Sandy Bridge-E, Ivy Bridge-E, Haswell-E, etc).
For years, there’s been a push-pull between content pirates and the content production industry, with law-abiding fans generally caught in the middle. For years, the content consumption side of the business has warned that if technology became too draconian, people simply wouldn’t use it. That seems to be the point at which we’ve arrived. Given the snail-like speed of PC refresh cycles these days, 4K streaming support will take 3-5 years to establish itself in the market, while UHD Blu-ray playback may never happen at all, thanks to ridiculously strict requirements that block out entire swathes of the hardware market.
The BDR-SJ11-BK is expected to be priced at $193, while the BDR-S11J-X will be a $307 part. Both drives will be available in Japan in late February, and will likely make their way to the US thereafter
Eugene157 likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-13-2017, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 223
The easiest way I've found is to copy finished 4K videos to a USB "thumb drive" and plug that into my 4K TV. I bought a large enough thumb drive to hold a lot of 10 minute "home movies".
post #5 of 9 Old 09-13-2017, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
The easiest way I've found is to copy finished 4K videos to a USB "thumb drive" and plug that into my 4K TV. I bought a large enough thumb drive to hold a lot of 10 minute "home movies".
Bill i use https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/seagate-2...rd-drive-a49jl these drives,they hold a lot of edited 4K footage stills etc and play directly to my TVs.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-14-2017, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post
Bill i use https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/seagate-2...rd-drive-a49jl these drives,they hold a lot of edited 4K footage stills etc and play directly to my TVs.
Hi
I have just bought a 4K TV LG 55UH950V.
I have with CyberLink Power2Go 11 burnt
all my 4K Video file to a DVD & BLU-RAY media as backup.
From the above media transferred the 4K Videos to a USB 2! flash stick.
When I connect this USB drive to the 4K TV
I get a Menu for each Video file, so the need to
wait for UHD 4K Authoring Software & Hardware
is not important for me any more.
By the way if your DVD or BLU-RAY burner is an USB device
connecting this to your TV should give the same results as an USB flash stick.

Best regards
post #7 of 9 Old 09-14-2017, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnj View Post
Hi
I have just bought a 4K TV LG 55UH950V.
I have with CyberLink Power2Go 11 burnt
all my 4K Video file to a DVD & BLU-RAY media as backup.
From the above media transferred the 4K Videos to a USB 2! flash stick.
When I connect this USB drive to the 4K TV
I get a Menu for each Video file, so the need to
wait for UHD 4K Authoring Software & Hardware
is not important for me any more.
By the way if your DVD or BLU-RAY burner is an USB device
connecting this to your TV should give the same results as an USB flash stick.

Best regards
Hi i do burn HD blu rays as well as put all my 4K material to the drives i mentioned but the the Blu are not as good quality as the edited films that play well on the drives with menus .
post #8 of 9 Old 09-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Cyberlink PD16 should be out in the next week or so, hope it includes UHD burning. At some point it will be available from someone.

Rather than using memory I burn HEVC 4K as a file on 25/50 BR or 4.7 DVD and the Samsung 8500 plays it nicely. Cheaper than memory.

Eugene
post #9 of 9 Old 09-18-2017, 11:03 AM
Predator - Brian

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-K View Post
Now that we have 4K recording capabilities, do we have 4K burners available as yet? I've been trying to find one, but the best as I see right now are Blu-ray burners. Does anyone know of such a burner?

Cheers
Technically the current crop of "BD-XL" capable Blu-Ray burners would suffice (100GB BD-R and 128GB BD-R), and could work with the existing array of BD-R discs out now. With a firmware update, it could be capable of burning to the 66GB discs as part of the standard.

However...

1. There is no consumer authoring software for 4K on disc format;
2. There are no consumer available 66GB BD-R discs (only 25/50/100 are available, while 128GB are available on Sony XDCAM Professional Disc format)
3. 4K UHD supports 24p or 60p, not the 29.97 (30p) formats that most consumer cameras record in (although there are now some higher end cameras that will do 60p, as well as 24p being more common than 5-10 years ago).

Your best bet as everyone mentioned above is to output a file to a USB drive and use on a device capable of playing it.

-> No longer looking for Hi-Vision LDs <-

(I buried that format finally)

www.ispeedonthe405.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page