AVS Forum banner

Sony Z5 Ultra with 4K display leaked

1K views 38 replies 6 participants last post by  jogiba 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Sony Xperia Z5 4K heat test - IFA 2015

We record 4K video to test the heat build-up on the Sony Xperia Z5 at IFA 2015. Sony's new flagship has to shake the stigma garnered by the Z3+ and its overheating issues, especially considering it uses the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor as its predecessor. Does it? Watch our full hands-on demonstration to see how long the Z5 can record 4K video at IFA 2015.

#7 ·
Good grief Joe, that 4K sample they showed was truly abysmal! I've seen HD that looked far better than that. In fact it was so bad, I wonder if he didn't have the wrong setting.

I bought & returned the Z4 as I was really disappointed with that unit. I don't think I'll do that again.

Interestingly, I just configured and ordered the Motorola X Pure about 30 minutes ago. I've been disappointed with my Samsung Edge as the data reception is poor and the phone gets incredibly hot. As a result the battery life has become really poor.

I hate to say this, but if the Motorola doesn't work out, I may bite the bullet and go to an IPhone 6S.

#9 ·
I hate to say this, but if the Motorola doesn't work out, I may bite the bullet and go to an IPhone 6S.
You may not have to. I've worked with some raw footage (1080p) from the much cheaper new Moto G and it came out great. Despite having no stabilization of any kind it still looked surprisingly good if the shooters knew what they were doing with some help of post stabilization. Looking solely at the specs, the camera and sensor in the new Moto X are definitely a class above (new Sony 21M pixel, phase-detection AF, back-illuminated stacked RGB sensor) so the phone had better shoot better video.

If for some reason it doesn't I guess you are right to join the Apple club. After all they have proved beyond any doubt in my editing suite they can do better than most even if it's just 1080p.

#12 ·
I'm afraid not. Unless the phone sits in a closed VR unit 1 1/2"-2" away from the eyeballs. The downsides, however, should be readily noticeable. Elevated heat level whenever the screen is turned on due to the combination of processor crunching out more data than necessary and the heat generated by the panels themselves, either LCD or AMOLED. All new Samsung phones with a QHD display feel hotter in the hand than the older models with a Full HD display and a removable back. The LG G4, with its unique QHD LCD tech panel, feels hot just by leaving the screen on and no game playing or other intense graphic functions activated and the list goes on.

This heat problem certainly is not helped either by the new popular glass-cover designs that not only slow down heat dissipation from the normally metal or plastic inner panel but due to the fingerprint magnetism of the glass surface also force the users to cover the phone with a case, further impeding heat dissipation.

#14 ·
Yup. But my S6 Edge is in a class by itself for heat production. With the phone in my pocket, my thigh serves as the heat sink! It gets absurdly hot.

This is my 2nd Edge, replaced under warranty, and it performs no differently than my first. However it's not the screen that's causing so much heat in my case, it's when the signal is not optimum and the phone is stressing to achieve the best reception. This has actually been a problem with Samsungs for quite some time. Meanwhile, in the same areas, my wife's IPhone runs cool. Go figure.

#16 ·
A couple of reasons, Hatch. First I was never crazy about the aesthetics of the G4. Going from what is arguably the prettiest phone, the S6 Edge, to the G4, is a bit of a shock. I'm sure it's an excellent phone, but...

Second, having switched from Verizon to AT&T a couple of years ago, I'm really attracted to the idea of a phone that can work on all major U.S. carriers. My wife's Verizon IPhone, although being able to function on AT&T, was still not capable of accessing AT&T's LTE. So she was stuck with plain vanilla 4G.

The Motorola has all the necessary radios for cross-platform reception.

One thing I've actually downplayed in my purchasing decision is, surprisingly, the camera. Why? I find I rarely use it...I mean really rarely. So here I used to test these cameras like crazy and then once I was happy with the camera, I simply didn't use it! Go figure. With that said, Motorola has promised the X Pure's camera will actually deliver and match up against the best. Early reports are good, but cameras have rarely been Motorola's strong point. P&S's comment on the G is also encouraging. :)

At this point I want a phone with excellent reception and good battery life. The X Pure doesn't have the best battery life, but can attain 10 hours of battery life on a 15 minute charge.

So we'll see how this thing works in actual practice.

BTW, a story for another day, I just bought the Sony A7RII. Another reason I'm not too concerned about my cellphone camera.

#22 ·
I remember some guy saying in a blog that the real reason Sony hadn't done better in stills and video on their cellphones was because it was the same mindset that always had influenced the marketing of their camera gear. Selectively crippling some of their products to ensure the near-monopoly successes of some others even at the expense of the sales prospect for the products they crippled. This means Sony may have been able to to better in stills and video on their cellphones than Apple, Samsung or LG but have instead chosen to do "just enough" as opposed to the best they could have done on their Xperias. What's the point? You may be asking. Well the point is to ensure the markets for their consumer stills and video cameras, especially the pocket or palm-sized, survive into the next few years. Given Sony's market shares in those dying markets over the past few years have been increasing and given the company's resources they could have a near-monopoly status in the shrinking but still significant markets in a few short years ahead.

On the other hand, mobile device markets have always been problematic for Sony. At some point recently there were even some rumors they were thinking about quitting the markets altogether like they had done with their PC business but some Sony big shots went public to strongly denied that possibility so the rumors just died down.

Still some others believe the Company's inability to do good camera-wise on their cellphones is simply because they have not been good enough in making their superior hardware work optimally with off-the-shelf processors and GPUs, e.g. Snapdragon SoCs, Exynoses, MediaTeks etc. and Android OS camera APIs. This may sound at first plausible since Sony's photographic products historically have been designed to work among their own proprietary components such as sensors, lenses, IPs or even compression codecs and in-house software. But again you could be wondering why when an upstart like One Plus which probably had 1/100th or 1/1000th of Sony engineering resources could manage to do better in stills and video with Sony-made cameras and sensors then this reasoning begins to sound weak.

But who knows they may change their thinking and come up with something to beat Samsung or Apple sometime in 2016 or beyond.:confused:

#23 ·
Sony looses money on their cell phones. They are about to shutter the whole division. I'm sure the division chief and his buddies don't want to loose their jobs. So I don't think the poor Sony cell phone video has anything to do with a grand marketing plan. More like genuine incompetence.

#24 ·
Roughly 1,000 companies make smartphones. Just one reaps nearly all the profits.
Apple Inc. recorded 92% of the total operating income from the world’s eight top smartphone makers in the first quarter, up from 65% a year earlier, estimates Canaccord Genuity managing director Mike Walkley. Samsung Electronics Co. took 15%, Canaccord says.

Apple and Samsung account for more than 100% of industry profits because other makers broke even or lost money, in Canaccord’s calculations.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/apples-share-of-smartphone-industrys-profits-soars-to-92-1436727458

#25 · (Edited)
6.44" Z5 Ultra with Snapdragon 820 chip coming

A top-notch Xperia Z5 Ultra phablet could launch in March 2016 with a 4K resolution, Snapdragon 820 chip, powerful 23-megapixel camera and large battery.

Sony just launched its latest Xperia Z5 lineup, but one rumored device is notably missing: the Xperia Z5 Ultra. Some believed that the Xperia Z5 Premium is in fact what was previously rumored to be the Xperia Z5 Ultra, but now it seems that it may not be the case.

The news comes out of China from the "very reliable" @LeaksFly, who posted details on the Xperia Z5 Ultra launch on Weibo, as PricePony first reported. The tipster revealed that the Xperia Z5 Ultra would arrive in March 2016, and PricePony further detailed expected specifications.

The Sony Xperia Z5 Premium made its debut as the world's first 4K smartphone, and the Xperia Z5 Ultra may follow its lead and boast a 4K resolution as well, albeit on a massive 6.44-inch display. The Z5 Premium also boasts a 23-megapixel rear camera that is expected to grace the Xperia Z5 Ultra.

At the same time, the Sony Xperia Z5 Ultra is expected to come with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor under the hood, which could account for the later release. If it launched now, the Xperia Z5 Ultra would have had to settle for the Snapdragon 810 processor powering the Xperia Z5 Premium, but a March 2016 release allows for an upgrade in this department.

PricePony further speculated that the Xperia Z5 Ultra should pack 4GB of RAM and employ the same cooling solution as the Xperia Z5 Premium, using thermal paste with two copper pipes connected to the SoC to keep it from overheating. The Snapdragon 820 should not pose the same overheating issues as the Snapdragon 810, but Sony could nonetheless choose the same cooling system just to be on the safe side.

The Snapdragon 820 could also be the reason behind the delayed release of the Xperia Z5 Ultra. If it launched now, it would have had to settle for the Snapdragon 810, but a March 2016 release would allow for a Snapdragon 820 built in.

The later launch is mostly due to the usage of the brand new Snapdragon 820 in the Xperia Z5 Ultra, in combination with the 4GB RAM.

Furthermore, the Sony Xperia Z5 Ultra is also expected to boast a larger and more powerful battery to fire up its massive display. The Xperia Z5 Premium has a 3,430 mAh unit, but the Xperia Z5 Ultra could get a 4,000 mAh battery.
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/8...-4k-display-23mp-camera-coming-march-2016.htm

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/0...6-44-inch-4k-display-reportedly-in-the-works/

#26 ·
#27 ·
Joe, I had to laugh at that review when he said the Sony should focus faster, yet each time the Samsung focused faster. Then he mentioned the higher megapixels of the Sony should yield a sharper result, yet he then tested and said the Samsung seemed a bit sharper. Oh well, so much for theory vs reality. :D

At any rate, as of Friday, I've become an IDrone with my new IPhone 6s+...I'm almost embarrassed to say.

Thus far I've found the battery life is infinitely better than my Samsung S6. Zero comparison.

Cameras for still shots are similar in quality, but for 4K video I'd give the nod to the 6S+. In the end, I didn't buy the phone for their cameras, but rather for improved battery life & reception. I've found these are the things that count for me since I rarely wind up using the phone for pix or videos.

The reception on the 6S+, thus far, has been much better than my Samsung. I was getting frustrated over the last few years as each iteration of the IPhone that my wife had, got significantly better reception than whatever Samsung I had at the time. The radios in these Samsungs, for whatever reason, are just poor relative to some of the competition.

#29 ·
#30 ·
I'm really liking it thus far, Joe. I put the phone back on the charger last night and I was still at 75%! Granted I didn't use it a ton, but my Galaxy S6, with that same usage, would have needed a new charge before then.

I'm also very happy with the reception, much better than my Samsung.

Pictures are really good and the 4K videos are surprisingly good. :)

#32 · (Edited)
DXoMark: Best mobile photo & video scores to date

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Sony-Xperia-Z5-Mobile-review-Best-mobile-photo-video-scores-to-date

DxOMark has published its test results for the Sony Xperia Z5, a high-end smartphone with a 23MP 1/2.4" BSI CMOS sensor, F2.0 lens and dual-LED flash. Calling its hybrid AF system 'impressive in all conditions,' the Z5 takes the top spot in DxO Mobile's rankings, sending the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge to second place. Find out what puts the Z5's photo and video capabilities ahead of its peers.
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/14...puts-sony-xperia-z5-on-top-of-mobile-rankings

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/6254840659/dxomark-mobile-report-sony-xperia-z5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.