AVS Forum banner

Sony RX100 IV on a 3-axis Gimbal

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  tingham 
#1 ·
The smallness of the camera makes it easy to use relatively cheap gimbals and get nice steadiness and smooth motion. Camera motion can add interest to a video if it is not overdone, and is smooth. One use is for events where there is unpredictable action and you have to move the camera to capture what you want in real time. The Beholder MS-1 easily balances the camera, and the combo is light and small.

Here is a 4K example, where the gimbal aids in obtaining smooth pans and some forward motion, along with steadiness:

#3 ·
If you are looking for someone that is impressed, you have found him!

Two questions....

1. Do you turn of the camera stabilization like you might on a tripod?

2. Is a LX100 too big?

Thanks.

Bill
I think most people think OIS helps. I left it on. But no need for degrading digital stabilization.

The LX100 is perfect for this model. In fact the RX100 is too small - so an adaptor plate (included) is needed to make it heavier! Even the GH4 (with a regular lens), and thus the G7, is ok (up to 1.9 pounds).

The best price if you or anyone is interested is from Owldolly.com ($499, with free shipping).

#6 ·
Mark, how tiring is it to hold the combo with one hand? We're all used to holding cameras with two hands, so how are you finding it with one hand? Have you tried a walking video...not that I'm a big fan of that.

I saw someone posted a video with an A7S and the gimbal, but you could still see a bit of a rhythmic bouncing as he walked. Did you try it with the NX1 and something light, like a pancake lens?

It does seem this is better suited to the RX.

#7 ·
As you say, that is a key advantage of the RX100 - it is light. The MS-1 gimbal is the lightest that one can get that is actually effective, and strains less to keep the camera from micro-jitters (which are still the biggest problem). There are none with this combo. Since no special dexterity is needed, one can also switch hands from time to time. I spent about an hour or so walking around with it holding it in my left hand (never turning it off), and did not feel any strain (one is moving the arm, not holding it stiff like we need to normally shoot, and that makes a big difference).

On walking - no 3-axis gimbal can fully compensate for the up and down movement when walking, but one can learn to duck-walk so that the effect is not noticeable. The only problem is that such walking can draw attention.

I used the gimbal with the NX500 and the 12mm Rokinon (effectively 33mm with a crop), which is also a good combo - but less good than the RX100 combo. There is walking in that video:

https://vimeo.com/142033292

#8 ·
Seems to work very well with both cams Mark, thanks for posting. Have you tried any of other NX500 lenses with the gimbal? Id be curious how it handles the extra weight, especially the 3d lens. Although that lens does not seem to weigh much more than the 16-50mm PZ lens, maybe a half ounce more.

#9 ·
Actually I was mistaken. The lens used in the above video was the kit PZ zoom lens. I have also used the Rokinon 12mm, which is better-suited to gimbal use (wide-angles work best) with the NX500, given its crop in 4K. Both were fine. The 3D lens is I think lighter than both.

I think the RX100 IV is better-suited for gimbal use - I get 28mm wide-angle (but can still go up to 80mm), the smaller sensor makes focusing less critical (nothing would be worse than focusing changes); its lighter weight means that the gimbal can better deal with my own mistakes in handling, and it means I can walk around with the gimbal+camera for longer times, just like I was just carrying around a camera. The only pain is changing the battery of the camera, which requires removal from the gimbal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.