Canon G30/40 versus Sony CX900 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-06-2016, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Canon G30/40 versus Sony CX900

I'm currently using a Panasonic TM700. Time to move on to something newer. I downloaded the Canon G30 manual and was quite surprised how configurable it is. Based on what I have read, the Canon has much more control over audio. I like the fact that the zoom control can be customized. Did not see that option for the Sony. 4K not something I need unless it was 60p.

Canon has 20x optical compared to 12x for the Sony. That is important to me, as is accurate autofocus.

I read in another post a user of the G30 said the Sony had better image quality.

Probably going to rent a G30 when my daughter plays her first home soccer game. That is a couple of weeks away.

Looking for any feedback anyone would like to provide.

Edit: Now see another user, Geani66, has asked the same question.

Thanks...Alan

Last edited by ahender; 02-06-2016 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added item.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Can't really comment on the Canons as I have only seen their specs and online footage. However, I don't think the Sony CX900 is one of Sony's greatest camcorders IQ-wise despite what the specs say. Yes, it along with it's sibling, the AX100, has excellent build and great overall manual control for a rather compact form factor camcoder but based on my experience seeing actual footage at 1080/25 and 50p (XAVC-S) from the camera, the IQ disappointed me. I have also tested the exact same 1080p modes on my working AX100E and no surprise it gave identical results. What's wrong with them? First the footage in bright daylight is not very clean. Not that it had any noise but there was a surprised amount of aliasing in the image. And when examined closely on the monitors (with normal playback) the detail and resolution weren't that great either. I would say the level of detail and freedom from aliasing in the footage were even a bit behind those from a few cheaper palm-sized Handycams from Sony in the previous generations such as the PJ790V, PJ/CX760V or even CX700/560V.

If I were you I would shell out a little more for the AX100, shoot solely at 4K and downscale the footage in post, which will yield the best IQ for 1080/24,25,30p. If 60p and long zoom range are important then it could be either of the Canons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page