Camcorder advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By NURF NURD
  • 1 Post By markr041
post #1 of 8 Unread Yesterday, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Camcorder advice

Hi guys,

Just registered, although have been a long time reader. Looking for some advice. I would like to buy a camcorder, never had one before, but we have a 6 month old baby boy, and I would like to start capturing some of the special moments. I would like something that will last a while, and I guess I would like to record in the best quality format, that will still look ok when we look back on it years from now. I was thinking about possibly the new Sony FDR AX53 when it goes on sale? I don't (yet) have a 4K tv, although maybe in a couple of years time. If I do get a 4K camcorder, what's the best way of storing the footage and playing it back on a normal HD tv? do I keep the 4K files and make a copy and convert it to play at a lower resolution? I have a 2013 iMac, and a 2 bay synology disc station nas, and the HD TV is hard wired to the network also. Sorry for all the questions at once, and help would be much appreciated! Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Unread Yesterday, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
i film on a sony HDR-CX190 it films in 1080 HD and so far the picture and video quality blows me away i would suggest if u wanna buy used an HDR-cs580v would be best for your needs as for new in the box not sure what to recommend you
Bungoblob likes this.
post #3 of 8 Unread Yesterday, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungoblob View Post
Hi guys,

Just registered, although have been a long time reader. Looking for some advice. I would like to buy a camcorder, never had one before, but we have a 6 month old baby boy, and I would like to start capturing some of the special moments. I would like something that will last a while, and I guess I would like to record in the best quality format, that will still look ok when we look back on it years from now. I was thinking about possibly the new Sony FDR AX53 when it goes on sale? I don't (yet) have a 4K tv, although maybe in a couple of years time. If I do get a 4K camcorder, what's the best way of storing the footage and playing it back on a normal HD tv? do I keep the 4K files and make a copy and convert it to play at a lower resolution? I have a 2013 iMac, and a 2 bay synology disc station nas, and the HD TV is hard wired to the network also. Sorry for all the questions at once, and help would be much appreciated! Tom
I am not going to recommend a specific camera, but I am going to encourage you to shoot 4K. 4K observed on any 1080 (HD) screen will look better than HD shot as HD. There is no problem playing 4K on an HD TV as long as the player can play 4K. You want to render, store and play your 4K files. Download a 4K video file like the one produced by the camcorder you are thinking about and see if you can play it on your computer (it may be a software issue - you may need to get a new software player). Anyway, you do not need to downconvert your 4K files just because the viewing device is not 4K. What matters is the player.
Bungoblob likes this.
post #4 of 8 Unread Today, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 38
post #5 of 8 Unread Today, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
I am not going to recommend a specific camera, but I am going to encourage you to shoot 4K. 4K observed on any 1080 (HD) screen will look better than HD shot as HD. There is no problem playing 4K on an HD TV as long as the player can play 4K. You want to render, store and play your 4K files. Download a 4K video file like the one produced by the camcorder you are thinking about and see if you can play it on your computer (it may be a software issue - you may need to get a new software player). Anyway, you do not need to downconvert your 4K files just because the viewing device is not 4K. What matters is the player.
Of course you are right,and although any HD monitor shows the difference on 4k tvs the difference realy shows.
post #6 of 8 Unread Today, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post
Of course you are right,and although any HD monitor shows the difference on 4k tvs the difference realy shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSOxN8TbHdM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIEHF9XkFeQ
I have looked at a few FZ1000 reviews and videos. For the money, it certainly seems to be great value. I've been looking for a 4K option to shoot soccer. I think if I shoot at a wider angle, using a tripod, and not use autofocus, this looks like a great option. The effect, when vertical lines dance around, seem to be better on the FZ1000 than the AX100.

Last edited by ahender; Today at 08:15 AM.
post #7 of 8 Unread Today, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahender View Post
I have looked at a few FZ1000 reviews and videos. For the money, it certainly seems to be great value. I've been looking for a 4K option to shoot soccer. I think if I shoot at a wider angle, using a tripod, and not use autofocus, this looks like a great option. The effect, when vertical lines dance around, seem to be better on the FZ1000 than the AX100.
Yes AF is not its strong point the lens is not parafocal like camcorders,but good value for certain.
post #8 of 8 Unread Today, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias Burling View Post
Nice try uploading crappy 4K video. Anyone who thinks 4K will never look much better than 1080p belongs in a group home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders