Camcorder advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By NURF NURD
  • 1 Post By markr041
  • 1 Post By flintyplus
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2016, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Glasgow Scotland
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Camcorder advice

Hi guys,

Just registered, although have been a long time reader. Looking for some advice. I would like to buy a camcorder, never had one before, but we have a 6 month old baby boy, and I would like to start capturing some of the special moments. I would like something that will last a while, and I guess I would like to record in the best quality format, that will still look ok when we look back on it years from now. I was thinking about possibly the new Sony FDR AX53 when it goes on sale? I don't (yet) have a 4K tv, although maybe in a couple of years time. If I do get a 4K camcorder, what's the best way of storing the footage and playing it back on a normal HD tv? do I keep the 4K files and make a copy and convert it to play at a lower resolution? I have a 2013 iMac, and a 2 bay synology disc station nas, and the HD TV is hard wired to the network also. Sorry for all the questions at once, and help would be much appreciated! Tom
Bungoblob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
i film on a sony HDR-CX190 it films in 1080 HD and so far the picture and video quality blows me away i would suggest if u wanna buy used an HDR-cs580v would be best for your needs as for new in the box not sure what to recommend you
Bungoblob likes this.
NURF NURD is offline  
Old 02-07-2016, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungoblob View Post
Hi guys,

Just registered, although have been a long time reader. Looking for some advice. I would like to buy a camcorder, never had one before, but we have a 6 month old baby boy, and I would like to start capturing some of the special moments. I would like something that will last a while, and I guess I would like to record in the best quality format, that will still look ok when we look back on it years from now. I was thinking about possibly the new Sony FDR AX53 when it goes on sale? I don't (yet) have a 4K tv, although maybe in a couple of years time. If I do get a 4K camcorder, what's the best way of storing the footage and playing it back on a normal HD tv? do I keep the 4K files and make a copy and convert it to play at a lower resolution? I have a 2013 iMac, and a 2 bay synology disc station nas, and the HD TV is hard wired to the network also. Sorry for all the questions at once, and help would be much appreciated! Tom
I am not going to recommend a specific camera, but I am going to encourage you to shoot 4K. 4K observed on any 1080 (HD) screen will look better than HD shot as HD. There is no problem playing 4K on an HD TV as long as the player can play 4K. You want to render, store and play your 4K files. Download a 4K video file like the one produced by the camcorder you are thinking about and see if you can play it on your computer (it may be a software issue - you may need to get a new software player). Anyway, you do not need to downconvert your 4K files just because the viewing device is not 4K. What matters is the player.
Bungoblob likes this.
markr041 is offline  
Old 02-07-2016, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mattias Burling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Mattias Burling is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flintyplus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: yeovil somerset
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
I am not going to recommend a specific camera, but I am going to encourage you to shoot 4K. 4K observed on any 1080 (HD) screen will look better than HD shot as HD. There is no problem playing 4K on an HD TV as long as the player can play 4K. You want to render, store and play your 4K files. Download a 4K video file like the one produced by the camcorder you are thinking about and see if you can play it on your computer (it may be a software issue - you may need to get a new software player). Anyway, you do not need to downconvert your 4K files just because the viewing device is not 4K. What matters is the player.
Of course you are right,and although any HD monitor shows the difference on 4k tvs the difference realy shows.
flintyplus is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 07:10 AM
Senior Member
 
ahender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post
Of course you are right,and although any HD monitor shows the difference on 4k tvs the difference realy shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSOxN8TbHdM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIEHF9XkFeQ
I have looked at a few FZ1000 reviews and videos. For the money, it certainly seems to be great value. I've been looking for a 4K option to shoot soccer. I think if I shoot at a wider angle, using a tripod, and not use autofocus, this looks like a great option. The effect, when vertical lines dance around, seem to be better on the FZ1000 than the AX100.

Last edited by ahender; 02-08-2016 at 07:15 AM.
ahender is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flintyplus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: yeovil somerset
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahender View Post
I have looked at a few FZ1000 reviews and videos. For the money, it certainly seems to be great value. I've been looking for a 4K option to shoot soccer. I think if I shoot at a wider angle, using a tripod, and not use autofocus, this looks like a great option. The effect, when vertical lines dance around, seem to be better on the FZ1000 than the AX100.
Yes AF is not its strong point the lens is not parafocal like camcorders,but good value for certain.
axikaras likes this.
flintyplus is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jogiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,956
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias Burling View Post
Nice try uploading crappy 4K video. Anyone who thinks 4K will never look much better than 1080p belongs in a group home.

1080p :



2160p :

Last edited by jogiba; 02-08-2016 at 12:15 PM.
jogiba is online now  
Old 02-14-2016, 05:10 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungoblob View Post
Hi guys,

Just registered, although have been a long time reader. Looking for some advice. I would like to buy a camcorder, never had one before, but we have a 6 month old baby boy, and I would like to start capturing some of the special moments. I would like something that will last a while, and I guess I would like to record in the best quality format, that will still look ok when we look back on it years from now. I was thinking about possibly the new Sony FDR AX53 when it goes on sale? I don't (yet) have a 4K tv, although maybe in a couple of years time. If I do get a 4K camcorder, what's the best way of storing the footage and playing it back on a normal HD tv? do I keep the 4K files and make a copy and convert it to play at a lower resolution? I have a 2013 iMac, and a 2 bay synology disc station nas, and the HD TV is hard wired to the network also. Sorry for all the questions at once, and help would be much appreciated! Tom
Hi mate I am in the exact same position as you with almost the same network setup too! I am looking for a camcorder as well. Have you decided on any yet? I am having trouble finding one as I have never had one before, but am not technologically deficient so can learn to use most of them.
moey is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mattias Burling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
Nice try uploading crappy 4K video. Anyone who thinks 4K will never look much better than 1080p belongs in a group home.




A couple of pointers.


1. That crappy 4K was 4K Prores HQ ad not that stinking codec you use.
2. I didn't say anything. If you see a huge difference in my video, well good for you.
3. Wow those pics you post look awful. Really bad HD. Good HD loks just as good as 4K online if upscale. What was it, a smartphone? And why so much Moire?
4. Easy on the insults. Its now been almost 2 years sine you said 4K was the norm..... LOL. Still its no where. I shoot 4K but mostly I shoot higher than 4K and stick to Raw. If I shoot low low sub 300mbps its just for fun and games.
5. Are you going to tell us a list of stuff you own but never use and maybe a HDR picture of your gear now?


Im out....
Mattias Burling is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jogiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,956
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias Burling View Post



A couple of pointers.


1. That crappy 4K was 4K Prores HQ ad not that stinking codec you use.
2. I didn't say anything. If you see a huge difference in my video, well good for you.
3. Wow those pics you post look awful. Really bad HD. Good HD loks just as good as 4K online if upscale. What was it, a smartphone? And why so much Moire?
4. Easy on the insults. Its now been almost 2 years sine you said 4K was the norm..... LOL. Still its no where. I shoot 4K but mostly I shoot higher than 4K and stick to Raw. If I shoot low low sub 300mbps its just for fun and games.
5. Are you going to tell us a list of stuff you own but never use and maybe a HDR picture of your gear now?


Im out....
Poor boy, thinks 1080p and 2160p are the same.
jogiba is online now  
Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ungermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 4,527
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias Burling View Post
Good HD loks just as good as 4K online if upscale.
Sure, just like good SD looks as good as HD.
Ungermann is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
taboola here
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off