Is the Panasonic TZ80 (ZS60) tripodophobic? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-20-2016, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is the Panasonic TZ80 (ZS60) tripodophobic?

There seems to be a strange instability in video recorded with this camera when using a tripod - example on Youtube:

Has anyone else out there got this camera?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-20-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I noticed, after you pan, when the camera is still it jumps. It's probably the OIS/stabilization.

Turn it off when using a tripod.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-20-2016, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post
I noticed, after you pan, when the camera is still it jumps. It's probably the OIS/stabilization.

Turn it off when using a tripod.
It is off in this video as I mentioned in the Youtube description - but the jumps remain when stabilization is turned on.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-20-2016, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudstrewn View Post
It is off in this video as I mentioned in the Youtube description - but the jumps remain when stabilization is turned on.
If the OIS is off and the camera is still in one spot, it shouldn't be randomly jumping.

Did you have "level shot" enabled?
post #5 of 11 Old 06-20-2016, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If the OIS is off and the camera is still in one spot, it shouldn't be randomly jumping.

That's a good point - I've never actually played with the level shot option, but for TZ80 the manual says it's not available "When [Rec Format] is set to [MP4], and [Rec Quality] is set to [4K/100M/25p] or [VGA/4M/25p]" which is what I was using, and this menu option is indeed greyed out. But worth a little investigation using different recording settings.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-21-2016, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've now tried it with level shot enabled (for which OIS must be enabled) and it made no difference.

I also did some panning with the camera upside down and on its side today (!), the results are at: www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRk8aNBoRdU

The jumping stays at the bottom of the picture as you see it, but the direction of the jumping changes with the camera orientation.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-21-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudstrewn View Post
I've now tried it with level shot enabled (for which OIS must be enabled) and it made no difference.

I also did some panning with the camera upside down and on its side today (!), the results are at: www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRk8aNBoRdU

The jumping stays at the bottom of the picture as you see it, but the direction of the jumping changes with the camera orientation.
Well, I was wondering if level shot was the cause...

Anyway, it looks like CMOS rolling shutter/jello. Maybe someone else could confirm this (??)

Perhaps it can't calculate the data quick enough with those fast pans...I've never panned a camera on a tripod that fast, as you have in the tests. So, maybe if you just don't do that...or are you seeing this in other situations?

Last edited by xfws; 06-21-2016 at 03:11 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-21-2016, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 45
It looks like there's a malfunction with your camera's encoding and I suspect it also has to something to do with the rolling shutter as the wiggles always occur in the the bottom part and never anywhere else. Anyway, just return the camera and get another copy as the problem is so obvious regardless of the causes. I don't believe this model has such as a flaw in every copy.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-22-2016, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Perhaps it can't calculate the data quick enough with those fast pans...I've never panned a camera on a tripod that fast, as you have in the tests. So, maybe if you just don't do that...or are you seeing this in other situations?
I don't usually pan scenery that fast! It was just to show that the jumps happen nearly always when the pan is slow as at start and finish, rarely when panning fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
I don't believe this model has such as a flaw in every copy.
This is my second copy - I returned the first because of exactly the same problem (see Youtube description of first video). I was hoping someone else in the universe might also have this camera and a video tripod, so we could check if it's just a bad batch or a genuine design/manufacture flaw.

The jumps don't seem to happen when hand-holding the camera, only when tripod-mounted (OIS on or off), which could explain why no-one else has reported it.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-22-2016, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Does the camera have digital image stabilization?

I would guess that you have some sort of image processing function activated that you don't realize is on.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-23-2016, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
I would guess that you have some sort of image processing function activated that you don't realize is on.
That could well be the case.

The operating instructions say "The 5-axis Hybrid Image Stabiliser function automatically functions while recording motion pictures", but also "The 5-axis Hybrid Image Stabiliser function is not available when recording motion pictures for which [Rec Quality] is set to [4K/100M/25p]."

The videos I posted were both shot in 4K/100M/25p which means the 5-axis stabilizer should not have been available anyway, even though it can be activated in this movie mode by assigning the stabilizer menu option to a function button! I got exactly the same problem in other movie modes as well.

The TZ80/ZS60 shares the same operating instructions manual as the TZ100/ZS100, with any differences between them highlighted. They should behave identically wrt stabilization in the movie modes I was using, yet as you see from my first video the TZ100 has no problems while the TZ80 acts as though some part of the hybrid stabilization is still on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page