Behind the Scenes of "Fire and Iron" - Alister Chapman - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tom Roper

post #1 of 1 Old 09-05-2017, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Behind the Scenes of "Fire and Iron" - Alister Chapman

Alister Chapman is a freelance DoP commissioned to shoot for BBC, Sky, NBC, National Geographic, Discovery, Sony, IMAX and others. He hosts workshops in many cities on his world tours. He is one of the preeminent experts on Log gammas and Luts. I have followed his bloggings for years, starting with my first Sony CineAlta shoulder mount broadcast cam the PMW350, and continue today with the Sony PMW-F55 and T2.0 CineAlta prime lenses. My F55 with AXS7 raw recorder shoots 4k-DCI at 120 fps in HDR. Although I am not known primarily for my videography, Sony is a client for my HDR grading work which has shown to a worldwide audience in Best Buy stores to promote and sell Sony HDR 4k televisions.

My kit is similar to Alister's, matte box, filters, jib crane, slider, lighting, flags, reflectors audio field recorders. I also have the Panasonic GH5 with 12-60mm Leica F2.8-4.0, the Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH and Olympus 25mm F1.2 primes. Apart from being so much fun, the GH5 packs vast capability into a lightweight ergonomic package that more or less does it all, slow motion, 4k-DCI high bit rate 422 10 bit log gamma and HDR, 5k 10 bit 420 and anamorphic open gate using the full sensor frame. Panasonic pulled out all the stops on the GH5, and with firmware updates are seemingly not done yet either.

Enough about me, I'm here posting a link to Alister's blog page and video review he shot for two new Fuji lenses in collaboration with Duclos lenses. He produced two videos you can (and should) watch. The first video is called "Fire and Iron," and is a short documentary on blacksmithing, the second video is "Fire and Iron behind the scenes." In his blog he shares an inside look at how it's all done, and not beyond what you can do on a small budget.

http://www.xdcam-user.com/alisters-blog/
Ken Ross likes this.

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page