• 1 Post By Ken Ross

post #1 of 24 Old 09-09-2017, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6644 Post(s)
Liked: 7325
The Canadian Rockies in 4K!

The beauty of the Canadian Rockies in 4K! See glacial fields, the glacier skywalk, Athabasca Falls, Lake Louise, Maligne Lake, wildlife, Jasper, Calgary and much more. We also stumbled on the Gay Pride Parade while in Calgary. The only unfortunate part of this trip was the presence of forest fires in parts of Canada & Washington State. This somewhat hampered skies and resulted in a haze during parts of the trip.

This is best watched on a large screen UHD TV.

jogiba, bsprague and DavidK442 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-10-2017, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
The beauty of the Canadian Rockies in 4K! See glacial fields, the glacier skywalk, Athabasca Falls, Lake Louise, Maligne Lake, wildlife, Jasper, Calgary and much more. We also stumbled on the Gay Pride Parade while in Calgary. The only unfortunate part of this trip was the presence of forest fires in parts of Canada & Washington State. This somewhat hampered skies and resulted in a haze during parts of the trip.

This is best watched on a large screen UHD TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP6Za1-6-gI&t=17s
Lovely film Ken
post #3 of 24 Old 09-10-2017, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post
Lovely film Ken
Thanks, Chris.

post #4 of 24 Old 09-10-2017, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I took a quick look and liked it a lot. My footage from a RV trip there last year seems to not measure up!

I'm going to try to watch the entire 27 minutes sometime today. It will give me a good excuse to see if I can get my 4K TV to play it.

Bill
post #5 of 24 Old 09-10-2017, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bill. Yes, the views are just spectacular. They would have been more so if not for the forest fires. When we encountered clear blue skies, it just made us wonder how great the smokey areas we visited could have been.

With that said, when viewed on our large screen OLED, the clarity and color are still spectacular. It just doesn't look nearly as good on my 5K iMac or 24" 4K monitor on my PC.
post #6 of 24 Old 09-10-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Bill. Yes, the views are just spectacular. They would have been more so if not for the forest fires. When we encountered clear blue skies, it just made us wonder how great the smokey areas we visited could have been.
We were in the Tetons two years ago and it was so smokey I didn't get any useful "scenic" footage. I think forest fire smoke will be an ongoing reality.

Last week parts of Mt. Rainier were closed. We were on a month long trip and read that the day before we got home, Seattle was on an alert suggesting people stay inside if they had any breathing/lung issues.

Did you miss me while I was gone and without internet for a month? Did I hear that the GH5 got new firmware?
post #7 of 24 Old 09-10-2017, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
We were in the Tetons two years ago and it was so smokey I didn't get any useful "scenic" footage. I think forest fire smoke will be an ongoing reality.

Last week parts of Mt. Rainier were closed. We were on a month long trip and read that the day before we got home, Seattle was on an alert suggesting people stay inside if they had any breathing/lung issues.

Did you miss me while I was gone and without internet for a month? Did I hear that the GH5 got new firmware?
Of course we all missed you.

Yup, the GH5 will be getting the new firmware at the end of the month. I was thinking had it been available during my trip, would I have installed it? Probably not, I'm too chicken.
post #8 of 24 Old 09-14-2017, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just watched it on my Samsung 78 inch TV. Really great. Now I don't have to go up to Alberta again just to get some 4K video. My last trip there, I took Hi-8 video. Yuck.
post #9 of 24 Old 09-14-2017, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenderson2 View Post
I just watched it on my Samsung 78 inch TV. Really great. Now I don't have to go up to Alberta again just to get some 4K video. My last trip there, I took Hi-8 video. Yuck.
Thanks, Chenderson. Seeing it on a large screen UHD TV is the only way to go!
post #10 of 24 Old 09-16-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Could be made at least three times shorter.

A tripod would have helped immensely (yes, I am guilty for not using a tripod as well, but to get most of 4K you need to avoid shakycam).

The unoffensive soft jazz is cheesy. The movie music is double cheesy.

Dissolves are old school, why not using straight cuts?

This is an ok video to put on while your guests are chatting and drinking. Not very attention-grabbing to be watched as a movie.

No, I cannot shoot better ;-) Others can though.

post #11 of 24 Old 09-16-2017, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

You simply can't use a tripod in these circumstances. Tripods are very limited in their acceptance in many places and taking it on a long trip, especially when much of the trip is by scenic bus, makes it untennable. Shortening this is very tough in that we went to many beautiful areas and the purpose of the video is to recall those places. This is not a video of trees, gardens, butterflies or zoo animals. Perhaps more personal videos just shouldn't be posted and I can see that point.

Regarding the music quality, it's subjective, but yes, I would have preferred using something different. I use music that can be tailored to a given length.

Regarding dissolves, I totally disagree. They are still used frequently in many productions. Cuts & dissolves are still the most professionally used transitions.

I've actually shown this to 4 different couples on my 77" OLED. They were all mesmerized and thought the quality was jaw-dropping. As I said, if you don't watch this on a large screen UHD TV, you're missing a good portion of the quality.
post #12 of 24 Old 09-16-2017, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You simply can't use a tripod in these circumstances. Tripods are very limited in their acceptance in many places and taking it on a long trip, especially when much of the trip is by scenic bus, makes it untennable. Shortening this is very tough in that we went to many beautiful areas and the purpose of the video is to recall those places. This is not a video of trees, gardens, butterflies or zoo animals. Perhaps more personal videos just shouldn't be posted and I can see that point.

Regarding the music quality, it's subjective, but yes, I would have preferred using something different. I use music that can be tailored to a given length.

Regarding dissolves, I totally disagree. They are still used frequently in many productions. Cuts & dissolves are still the most professionally used transitions.

I've actually shown this to 4 different couples on my 77" OLED. They were all mesmerized and thought the quality was jaw-dropping. As I said, if you don't watch this on a large screen UHD TV, you're missing a good portion of the quality.
To each his own. I don't care much for shaky 4K pixels, I'd rather watch a professionally-looking video on a phone. In any case, I would not watch your video as a movie, it does not grab my attention for half an hour, it is a nice background piece for a post-travel party.

I find advice like this helpful.

post #13 of 24 Old 09-16-2017, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think it was quite as shaky as you're implying. I'll provide an 'Ungermann warning' if I ever decide to post something like this again. Then again, nobody is forcing you to watch.
jogiba likes this.
post #14 of 24 Old 09-17-2017, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I don't think it was quite as shaky as you're implying. I'll provide an 'Ungermann warning' if I ever decide to post something like this again. Then again, nobody is forcing you to watch.
Hi Ken:
very good travel documentary, the scenary also complements it, but you capture the whole idea well,...... if i can indulge in some well intention criticisim, It is too long, bet you can slice down to 15-18 min and can be propped somewhat with some combination titles and transitions, like lower thirds and spicy transitions, here and there, even your own narrative at times and even interviewes of some of the people looking at the awesome scenery. Oh and the music needs some punch.
My two cents worth.
Thank You, and Hello from Luis
post #15 of 24 Old 09-17-2017, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Luis, hope all is well, we haven't seen much of you as of late.

I knew the video was on the long side for general viewing, but I didn't want to make 2 versions, one for personal and one for public. I'm not a big fan of fancy transitions, I used to use those many years ago. However I agree that lower thirds are a pretty classy way of titling...and yeah, that music wasn't the pinnacle of great soundtracks.

Thanks for watching.
post #16 of 24 Old 09-18-2017, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Thanks Luis, hope all is well, we haven't seen much of you as of late.

I knew the video was on the long side for general viewing, but I didn't want to make 2 versions, one for personal and one for public. I'm not a big fan of fancy transitions, I used to use those many years ago. However I agree that lower thirds are a pretty classy way of titling...and yeah, that music wasn't the pinnacle of great soundtracks.

Thanks for watching.
Thanks Ken all is well, I am having lots of work lately, not able to do much editing but have been playing with Gimbals lately, doing some adapter solutions for the Zhiyun Smooth Q Gimbal and the Sony FDR-X3000 which I love even as a travel camera and the RX-100V also a superb travel camera. I visit the site daily, I just have not been able to do much editing in FCPX lately....but I will
Thanks
Luis

Last edited by luidoly; 09-18-2017 at 12:34 AM.
post #17 of 24 Old 09-18-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I tried to play it in 4K on my Samsung 4K TV using the built in YouTube app and it broke! The YouTube app froze. On my laptop it looks great.

Somehow I'll have to figure out how to re-boot the YouTube app.
post #18 of 24 Old 09-18-2017, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Bill, you might have to reboot the TV. I have a Sony where that happens and only a reboot of the TV fixes it. My LG OLEDs never has these issues.
post #19 of 24 Old 09-18-2017, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bill, you might have to reboot the TV. I have a Sony where that happens and only a reboot of the TV fixes it. My LG OLEDs never has these issues.
That was my plan. I think I have to unplug the Samsung for a re-boot. But, I will look for a menu choice first.

I'm compelled to say that I may have lived too long if we are in a world where we have to re-boot TVs. Will I live long enough to find that firmware and software have the quality control to not have bugs, viruses and various crappy parts?
post #20 of 24 Old 09-18-2017, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I have seen even a salesperson fumble with the remote control to get YouTube videos to play on some latest 4K TVs with the Android app installed in the showroom and it didn't inspire me with much confidence either. This thing is darn easy on the PC, Mac and all mobile devices. Even the sub-$100 phones and tablets play them so easily. Don't know what's wrong with these TV makers. Probably the lack of practical interfaces like a keyboard, mouse or touchscreen is too hard for them to overcome?
post #21 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
I have seen even a salesperson fumble with the remote control to get YouTube videos to play on some latest 4K TVs with the Android app installed in the showroom and it didn't inspire me with much confidence either. This thing is darn easy on the PC, Mac and all mobile devices. Even the sub-$100 phones and tablets play them so easily. Don't know what's wrong with these TV makers. Probably the lack of practical interfaces like a keyboard, mouse or touchscreen is too hard for them to overcome?
With Sonys, the issue resides with the Android OS & processor. Sony hampered the OS with a weak processor and, as a result, I've had frequent reboots of the TV throughout its lifetime. Yet my LG OLEDs, with their WebOS, have no issues whatsoever. Every app plays perfectly and never glitches or freezes.

The other thing with 4K60p, is it looks far better on a UHD TV with 4K60p capability than it does on most computers. Most computers are limited to 4K30p and thus playback at 60p doesn't look as good. I see a difference in my GH5 when I shoot in 4K30p vs 4K60p on my computers. The 4K30p looks noticeably sharper. Yet 4K30p & 4K60p are indistinguishable in sharpness on my large screen OLEDs, that handle 4K60p perfectly. Both look equally fantastic, but obviously 4K60p looks better with its better temporal resolution, presence & motion smoothness.
post #22 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A self induced power failure for the TV worked. Brilliant picture even though there are no markers, logos, indicators, etc that say it is playing in 4K.
post #23 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A self induced power failure for the TV worked. Brilliant picture even though there are no markers, logos, indicators, etc that say it is playing in 4K.
Thanks, Bill. Sorry you had to go through that, but such is life with 'Smart' TVs.
post #24 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A self induced power failure for the TV worked.
I bet some hacker was unhappy because of loss of bitcoins of whatever they run on your smart TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page