iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X (ten) 4K 60p w/ OIS - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 09-12-2017, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 358
iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X (ten) 4K 60p w/ OIS

Quote:
The iPhone 8 models were not the only new smartphone at Apple's event, though. The company also had a "one more thing" announcement in the shape of the much rumored iPhone X. The X comes with a new design that incorporates a 5.8" edge-to-edge 2436 x 1125 pixel HDR OLED display, a first for Apple.
Like on the 8 models there is glass on front and back of the water and dust proof body which also does away with Apple's characteristic home button.
Instead there is now Face ID: the device uses a range of sensors at the front, including the 7MP front cam, in combination with neural networking algorithms for face recognition and unlocking the phone. In dark surroundings your face will be illuminated by a front LED for this purpose.

The rear camera is an improvement over the iPhone 8 Plus. The 12MP dual-cam comes with "larger and faster sensors", F1.8 and F2.4 apertures and optical image stabilization on both lenses which should particularly improve image quality of the tele lens in low light.
The iPhone X will be available in 64 and 256GB versions and set you back at least $999. It will be available on November 3rd. As usual, we'll have to wait a few days until the full device specs trickle through but let us know in the comments what you think about the latest iPhone camera configurations so far.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/665741...-top-end-model

Quote:
  • 4K video recording at 24 fps, 30 fps, or 60 fps
  • 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps or 60 fps
  • 720p HD video recording at 30 fps
  • Optical image stabilization for video
  • Optical zoom; 6x digital zoom
  • Quad-LED True Tone flash
  • Slo‑mo video support for 1080p at 120 fps or 240 fps
  • Time‑lapse video with stabilization
  • Cinematic video stabilization (1080p and 720p)
  • Continuous autofocus video
  • Body and face detection
  • Noise reduction
  • Take 8MP still photos while recording 4K video
  • Playback zoom
  • Video geotagging
  • Video formats recorded: HEVC and H.264

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/

Ken Ross likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-12-2017, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Another nail in the coffin for consumer cameras.
post #3 of 32 Old 09-12-2017, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Two areas where the Note 8 still has the upper hand is in resolution — 2960×1440 (521 ppi) vs the iPhone X’s 2436×1125 (458 ppi) — and brightness. The Galaxy Note 8’s display reaches an astounding 1,200 nits, whereas the iPhone X only hits a meager 625 nits. That means when it comes to outdoor viewing, the Galaxy Note 8 is still king.
http://phandroid.com/2017/09/12/ipho...galaxy-note-8/

post #4 of 32 Old 09-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

My hunch based on my shooting experience with iPhones suggests these latest generation phones from Apple should be the best video shooters (the X and 8+ in particular) we could have, outperforming the Android closest equivalents like the Note 8, LG V30 etc. in terms of usabiliy. You wouldn't know how critical the lack of ND filtration is on any video shooting devices that can only shoot up to 30p, even more so on cellphones that don't have the ability to change the aperture. Until you see things move like something from the '60s or '70s cartoons in bright daylight. Apple have now cured this with 4K/60p if not cellphone NC filters that have yet to be invented.

iPhones' EIS or EIS+OIS have always been the best in the business, the AF, though may not be the fastest compared to the dual pixel AF on the Samsungs, has had the algorithm that works the best in video with smoother transitions and less prone to jumping from subject to subject. 4K resolution also has not been the best but again the combination of gamma, saturation and edge sharpening settings as a whole renders the footage with a pleasing, natural look.

There are some groundbreaking features on the stills front as well if you are the video shooter type who also likes to play with stills. The low pixel count of 12M pixels seems to be the obvious limitation but these days how many people out there view their photos on a canvas bigger than 4K displays?

Save up to US$1K+ for these new toys if not 2.5K for the new, or could I say last real high-end consumer camcorder from Canon?
post #5 of 32 Old 09-13-2017, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Yes serious video shooters will be better off with either the 8 Plus OR X because of the dual rear cameras. The 8 has just 1 rear camera.

Both the X and 8 Plus supposedly have 3GB of RAM while the 8 is said to have just 2. Would have been good to see at the very least 4GB of RAM on the X. 6GB to 8GB of RAM would have been awesome. Some Android phones have 6 to 8GB of RAM.

Hopefully the GoPro Hero 6 have 4K 60p as well. Would be good to compare the 4K 60p modes of the iPhone X, Yi 4K+ and the new GoPro.
Mike_WI likes this.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; 09-13-2017 at 07:17 AM.
post #6 of 32 Old 09-14-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
Another nail in the coffin for consumer cameras.
No iphone will ever touch a consumer camera like the Sony RX100s.
post #7 of 32 Old 09-14-2017, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post
You can also say no action cam can touch the new Sony RX0 if you only focus on a few features. And what about 4K/60p? Has it been an intentional cripple or a real technical limitation? We probably never know but the fact is the cheapest real Sony camera you can buy that does 4K/60p is the 5-lbs, outdated, crippled AX1 that still sells for almost 3K.

Camera is NOT a phone. But most phones now are some camera. 1/3 or just halfway there perhaps, but for the vast majority of people that gets the job done.
post #8 of 32 Old 09-14-2017, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The new iPhones have 4K 60p, what Sony camera has 4K 60p ?
post #9 of 32 Old 09-14-2017, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can also say no action cam can touch the new Sony RX0 if you only focus on a few features. And what about 4K/60p? Has it been an intentional cripple or a real technical limitation? We probably never know but the fact is the cheapest real Sony camera you can buy that does 4K/60p is the 5-lbs, outdated, crippled AX1 that still sells for almost 3K.

Camera is NOT a phone. But most phones now are some camera. 1/3 or just halfway there perhaps, but for the vast majority of people that gets the job done.
I agree with the 1/3 or 1/2 way there comment. A phone is good enough for some situations, but my Sony RX100 III fits in my pocket, has a 1" sensor, and takes better video and pictures than any phone I've ever seen. My Google Pixel takes 4k video and it doesn't come close to the quality of the 1080p video on any of the Sony RX100 series. Heck, I bought a 4k Panasonic camcorder that had a 1/2.3" sensor and I returned it because it couldn't compare to a small compact pocketable camera with a 1" sensor.

Also, I have a 3 year old daughter that doesn't hold poses for very long. My Google Pixel's camera is one of the highest rated ones available and that and my wife's iphone miss far more shots from an antsy child that my RX100 would otherwise nail. Anytime we are taking pictures in a situation we care about, we keep the camera's in our pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
The new iPhones have 4K 60p, what Sony camera has 4K 60p ?
I'll take 1080p on a Sony with a 1" sensor over 4k 60p with whatever small sensor they put in the iphone or any phone.
post #10 of 32 Old 09-14-2017, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

The above video is not to show the prowess of cellphone videography but the real differences between phones and standalone cameras.

This was shot with a 2-year-old $300 Motorola Moto X Pure Edition.

Workflow for posting on YouTube and saving on cloud storages:

- Shooting 3-4 4K/25p clips of the above TV models in a Sony showroom on the way back from work using the phone's back camera and a free 3rd party Open Camera software (this was necessary to change the fps from the camera's stock software of 30 fps to 25 fps to sync with the electricity frequency of 50Hz in my area. Besides, the software allows for many manual features such as bit rate selection, manual WB, manual focus, AE bias, exposure lock etc. that isn't available in the phone's stock software)

- The clips taken were then automatically uploaded to Google Photos. Some clips were deleted leaving about 3 which were then trimmed and stabilized using the cloud's mainframe processing power, not the phone's and it took just a little processing time per clip. If your phone has a good stabilization system such as the one on the iPhones, you could bypass this step and go straight to iMovie or some other basic NLE to make a quick edit. The EIS on the Moto X often sucks, I almost always have to skip it.

- Once stabilized, which of course resulting in losing some resolution from cropping, the clips were strung together using a $5 or $6 Vidtrim Pro. This off-line process took just a few seconds because it required no re-compression.

- Uploaded the finish video to YouTube and GD over wifi using the hotspot linked to my monthly cellular plan right in the same building. The upload process took a few minutes and it could have been faster over the LTE in that particular zone but it sure would have cost me much of the monthly data quota.

Last but not least the entire workflow didn't touch a computer. Nor did it touch another device apart from the phone used to shoot the raw video. That's the essence of empowering the users of mobile devices in these days of connected world.

My clients had been asking me about what TV they should get to view their content. How it would look and all those hard to explain technical stuff and I answered them on the way home with this YouTube video.

Try that with your cameras.
post #11 of 32 Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Once they figure out how to stuff a 10x optical zoom lens into a phone while keeping it thin, it will be a serious threat to cameras.
post #12 of 32 Old 09-15-2017, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree with the 1/3 or 1/2 way there comment. A phone is good enough for some situations, but my Sony RX100 III fits in my pocket, has a 1" sensor, and takes better video and pictures than any phone I've ever seen. My Google Pixel takes 4k video and it doesn't come close to the quality of the 1080p video on any of the Sony RX100 series. Heck, I bought a 4k Panasonic camcorder that had a 1/2.3" sensor and I returned it because it couldn't compare to a small compact pocketable camera with a 1" sensor.

Also, I have a 3 year old daughter that doesn't hold poses for very long. My Google Pixel's camera is one of the highest rated ones available and that and my wife's iphone miss far more shots from an antsy child that my RX100 would otherwise nail. Anytime we are taking pictures in a situation we care about, we keep the camera's in our pocket.

I'll take 1080p on a Sony with a 1" sensor over 4k 60p with whatever small sensor they put in the iphone or any phone.
Do you carry a camera along with your smartphone all day long 365 days a year ? If I want to shoot with a full frame sensor I use my Sony A7r but I only use it once in a while . The smartphones of today are light years better than the P&S cameras that consumers used ten years ago.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #13 of 32 Old 09-15-2017, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 120
People keep on saying stuff like this. Sure, cell phone cameras are getting better over time, but so are P&S cameras. The RX100M5 kicks the snot out of the Samsung Galaxy S8 when it comes to IQ and control. And my NX1 kicks the snot out of the RX100M5. I also own a P900 for specialized photography, and it has a place in spite of its limitations, one that no cell phone can compete in.

Cell phones still have a long way to go before they "catch up". Just because a lot of people use them for taking snapshots does not mean that they have "caught up".
nickoakdl likes this.
post #14 of 32 Old 09-15-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 6644 Post(s)
Liked: 7325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
People keep on saying stuff like this. Sure, cell phone cameras are getting better over time, but so are P&S cameras. The RX100M5 kicks the snot out of the Samsung Galaxy S8 when it comes to IQ and control. And my NX1 kicks the snot out of the RX100M5. I also own a P900 for specialized photography, and it has a place in spite of its limitations, one that no cell phone can compete in.

Cell phones still have a long way to go before they "catch up". Just because a lot of people use them for taking snapshots does not mean that they have "caught up".
I don't think you read Joe's qualifier: "The smartphones of today are light years better than the P&S cameras that consumers used ten years ago."
post #15 of 32 Old 09-15-2017, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The smartphones of today are light years better than the P&S cameras that consumers used ten years ago.
That's not really a bold statement. A cutting edge smartphone does a better job at a lot of things when compared to something from 10 years ago.

Last edited by nickoakdl; 09-15-2017 at 05:11 PM.
post #16 of 32 Old 09-15-2017, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post

So what camera do you take everyday when you leave the house ?
DanBa likes this.
post #17 of 32 Old 09-16-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I don't think you read Joe's qualifier: "The smartphones of today are light years better than the P&S cameras that consumers used ten years ago."
Smartphones cannot incorporate lenses with decent optical zoom range, most smartphones do not even have optical zoom. They are meant to shoot wide all the time.
post #18 of 32 Old 09-16-2017, 12:31 PM

As the old adage says, the camera you have with you is the best camera you have. Nuff said.
jogiba and DanBa like this.
post #19 of 32 Old 09-16-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
As the old adage says, the camera you have with you is the best camera you have. Nuff said.
Your old adage does not strengthen your and Joe's point neither disproves mine. It is a shame that logic is not taught at school, and even the courses that should incorporate logic into them like algebra or geometry do not include enough proofs.
post #20 of 32 Old 09-16-2017, 03:49 PM

Wow, did we get up on the wrong side of the bed today or just a bad day?

Nobody is trying to 'disprove' your point. The last I looked, we can have differing opinions.
post #21 of 32 Old 09-16-2017, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Ungermann, what you say is not wrong but rather harsh. If you love videography as I believe most of us here on this forum do some of the time we have to get by with what we only have at those moments where something interesting comes up and we want to document it or preserve it. If you can somehow have the preferred equipment always with you to catch those moments then great because for most people it's certainly not easy.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #22 of 32 Old 09-16-2017, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ungermann, what you say is not wrong but rather harsh. If you love videography as I believe most of us here on this forum do some of the time we have to get by with what we only have at those moments where something interesting comes up and we want to document it or preserve it. If you can somehow have the preferred equipment always with you to catch those moments then great because for most people it's certainly not easy.
It would help if you quoted the particular "not wrong but rather harsh" phrase of mine you are commenting, otherwise I am in the woods.
post #23 of 32 Old 09-17-2017, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
Smartphones cannot incorporate lenses with decent optical zoom range, most smartphones do not even have optical zoom. They are meant to shoot wide all the time.
I guess you are not up to speed on the latest smartphones with multiple FL cameras like the Samsung Note 8 or iPhones in this thread. What camera do YOU leave the house with 365 days a year ?

post #24 of 32 Old 09-17-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I guess you are not up to speed on the latest smartphones with multiple FL cameras like the Samsung Note 8 or iPhones in this thread.
Two lenses with fixed FL - how does this contradict with smartphones not having zoom lenses?
post #25 of 32 Old 09-17-2017, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I was at my stepdaughter's grandmother's 95th birthday party yesterday that had about 80 people and she shot stills of everyone singing Happy Birthday and blowing out the candles with a Canon DSLR with ZOOOOOM lens and I shot 4K UHD video with my Samsung smartphone that was light years more memorable than anything she shot with that ZOOOOM lens. Only the most clueless person on the planet would think a smartphone needs a zoooom lens to be useful.
post #26 of 32 Old 09-17-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was at my stepdaughter's grandmother's 95th birthday party yesterday that had about 80 people and she shot stills of everyone singing Happy Birthday and blowing out the candles with a Canon DSLR with ZOOOOOM lens and I shot 4K UHD video with my Samsung smartphone that was light years more memorable than anything she shot with that ZOOOOM lens. Only the most clueless person on the planet would think a smartphone needs a zoooom lens to be useful.
An RX100 will fit in your pocket and look better than your phone and the Canon DSLR.
post #27 of 32 Old 09-17-2017, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BS, there is no way the RX100 would shoot a 4K UHD video that much better than my Samsung phone to be worth carrying it 365 days a year along with it. If I plan on going to an event were need a long zoom or fast lens then I will bring one of my myriad of 4K UHD cameras. I still have my APS-C Sony QX1 smartphone camera that would work with my Samsung smartphone. It's amazing how some people don't know what a smartphone is.
post #28 of 32 Old 09-17-2017, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Zoom mechanisms are bulky. Zooms that are made to cope with the needs of shooting good videos, NOT STILLS, are even more difficult to make into a compact size or affordable. There are lengthy arguments over that aspect of using zoom lenses in video in another thread so I won't get into detail here.

On cellphones, we now have roughly two options regarding varying the focal lengths of the lens optically. First, wide and normal in the current iPhone 7+ and new 8+/X, two or three Samsung models including the new Note 8, OnePlus 5, new Asus models plus a slew of models from Chinese brands. The other is wide/normal-wide and ultrawide on 3 or 4 models of LG phones and another one or two models from some brand I can't remember. So the users have basically two lenses to shoot with. Is it as good as a true continuous zoom? Of course not, at least for video but those two lenses working in tandem, in addition to working one at a time separately can also do wonder at other things a single lens can't.

Then it's back to whether you don't mind carrying a separate camera with you all the time or you feel it's cumbersome. The way you want to turn what you shoot raw into the final or end product will also determine suitable workflows you feel comfortable with and the kind of devices that work best for some users but not others.

Last edited by P&Struefan; 09-17-2017 at 05:35 PM.
post #29 of 32 Old 09-18-2017, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, you were not taught logic at school too. It gets boring.
post #30 of 32 Old 09-20-2017, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ungermann AKA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page