Preserving quality of mini DV SD cassettes for long term storage -camcorder vs player - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-24-2017, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Preserving quality of mini DV SD cassettes for long term storage -camcorder vs player

I have some mini DV cassettes from a camcorder I had in 2004-2006.

The camcorder I used was the Samsung SCD103 (which broke years ago), and the cassettes were Sony DVM60's.

I want to convert them into a digital file using a firewire cable. I'm not too familiar with the mini dv format, so before I start:

1. The tapes themselves were recorded in SP mode, what resolution would this be considered? Would that even matter once they're converted into a digital format or would I still aim for a specific resolution?

2. What would yield the better result, re-buying the same camcorder again, buying a higher quality camcorder, or buying a dedicated player, all of which would be connected via firewire?

Expanding on that, what difference would a higher quality camera or dedicated player make if any?

3. In order to yield a maximum result the first time, should I clean the tapes and/or the camcorder (or player) before I stream copy the tapes to a file? How would I go about doing that?

4. Is there any other information I should know about to get the best result possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-25-2017, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
They are SD interlaced resolution so if you in pal-land that is 768X576 in PC resolution.
Transferring them via firewire will take ~10G per hour.
I don't think its of any advantage.
Recently I transfer all my DV's into WMV's at 3.2Mb/sec and they looks great.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-28-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 101
50 Hz DV is 720x576 no matter whether it is 4:3 or 16:9 frame aspect ratio. 704 pixels in a line used for image, other 16 pixels are digital blanking.

Do not convert it to anything, simply capture in whatever container you prefer, most likely will be DV-AVI for Windows and QuickTime-DV for Mac. It is huge, about 13GB per hour, but keep it as is, storage is cheap nowadays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Tags
camcorder , mini dv , mini dv firewire , mini dv to pc , samsung scd 103

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page