Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 372 Old 05-18-2006, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodobeHD
that's what is so bad about Sony with HC3/HC1. as any hardware device (like a printer) there needs to be device software on your PC to communicate with it. Most often your PC recognizes the hardware device and matches its software automatically. But for HC3 my PC simply doesn't see it. I imagine many HC3/HC1 owners would be in the same boat as me.

it is NOT true that window XP will automatically install the device for HC3. In fact you have to force it. here is the link for the step by step instruction:

http://hdvforever.com/hdv/hdrhc1/fre...re/default.htm

Apparently Brianoh has put the HC3 in playback mode there is no point of asking him to repeat the same thing that didn't do the trick, but the above instruction is garantteed to work because I just tried it.
GodobeHD, thanks for the information. One problem, however. When I try to manually add the device, Windows does not detect it. I try to manually install too, however, the Sony driver "sony d-vhs device" is just not there. In fact, there isn't a Sony subcategory at all. Do you know, by any chance, where I can download the driver file from? The thing is, I'm running MCE 2005, with SP2 and all the other updates. I don't see why my computer wouldn't detect my camcorder, other than the fact that my firewire port is busted (which clearly, is not, since my ipod works okay on it).

If I've received a defective camcorder, I'm in a pickle, since CC only accepts returns within 2 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 372 Old 05-18-2006, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianoh
GodobeHD, thanks for the information. One problem, however. When I try to manually add the device, Windows does not detect it. I try to manually install too, however, the Sony driver "sony d-vhs device" is just not there. In fact, there isn't a Sony subcategory at all. Do you know, by any chance, where I can download the driver file from? The thing is, I'm running MCE 2005, with SP2 and all the other updates. I don't see why my computer wouldn't detect my camcorder, other than the fact that my firewire port is busted (which clearly, is not, since my ipod works okay on it).

If I've received a defective camcorder, I'm in a pickle, since CC only accepts returns within 2 weeks.
How about checking your device manager for an automatically installed AV/C Tape Device, since every PC I've ever seen connected to DVHS or these cams AUTOMATICALLY INSTALLS THE CORRECT DRIVER without any user intervention whatsoever. And no need thanking GodobeHD, all he does is create useless confusion, as whatever process he describes was never needed on Windows XP.
post #183 of 372 Old 05-18-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop
How about checking your device manager for an automatically installed AV/C Tape Device, since every PC I've ever seen connected to DVHS or these cams AUTOMATICALLY INSTALLS THE CORRECT DRIVER without any user intervention whatsoever. And no need thanking GodobeHD, all he does is create useless confusion, as whatever process he describes was never needed on Windows XP.
Timecop, thanks for such a quick response. My computer, in Device Manager, does not detect, or lists DVHS (AV/C Tape Device). My firewire port is not the cause of the problem, and I went through two 4 pin to 6 pin i.link cables, both of which does not seem to be the problem. I think I may have to ship this unit to their repair center in TX.

Can anyone upload or send to me the driver- "Sony D-VHS Device" ? That is the final straw before I send this away to Sony for repair.
post #184 of 372 Old 05-18-2006, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can you try connecting the HC3 to another computer to test out the camcorder 1394 port? My XP SP2 computers work the way Timecop describes but I needed to point out a driver when I had SP1. I used the Panasonic driver described here http://www.webtc.com/DVHS/default.htm#Introduction to connect up to DVCR's with sp1. John
post #185 of 372 Old 05-18-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish
Can you try connecting the HC3 to another computer to test out the camcorder 1394 port? My XP SP2 computers work the way Timecop describes but I needed to point out a driver when I had SP1. I used the Panasonic driver described here http://www.webtc.com/DVHS/default.htm#Introduction to connect up to DVCR's with sp1. John

Yes, I've tried it on 2 of my home PCs, to no avail. Then again, they are running the same exact version of Windows MCE 2005. I don't have the option to use JVC/Panasonic, as it is not a subcategory in my drivers set up as well. In fact, my computer doesn't even seem to find a AV/C Tape Device. I think I should manually try to install the Sony driver.. if I can get my hands on it.
post #186 of 372 Old 05-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop
timecop is making a big assumption here that everybody must have a windows XP with SP2.
Saying "since every PC I've ever seen connected to DVHS or these cams AUTOMATICALLY INSTALLS THE CORRECT DRIVER without any user intervention whatsoever" therefore all PCs will do that is as ridiculous as saying " every car I've seen on the street is red therefore all cars in the world must be red".
post #187 of 372 Old 05-18-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount
Nope. You have to go buy the smaller memory stick Pro if you want to use the picture features.
I wonder why Best Buy's site lists that it includes it?

"Stores video and photos on MiniDV cassette or stamp-size Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo media (16MB Memory Stick Duo included)"

Also, at the bottom under accessories it lists all of this:

"Power adapter/in-camera charger, InfoLithium rechargeable battery (NP-FM50), 16MB Memory Stick Duo media, Remote Commander remote, USB, component video and A/V cables, lens hood, lens cap, shoulder strap"

But you guys said it doesnt come with a shoulderstrap? Weird.
post #188 of 372 Old 05-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

one thing you can definately do to rule out if its your HC3 problem is to bring the HC3 to CC and plug it in one of their PCs with windows XP. and also bring with you a small free program like a HDVsplit on a CD. So after your HC3 is connected to a CC's PC with XP SP2 on it, simply run the HDVsplit and see if it starts capturing.
post #189 of 372 Old 05-18-2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:
one thing you can definately do to rule out if its your HC3 problem is to bring the HC3 to CC and plug it in one of their PCs with windows XP. and also bring with you a small free program like a HDVsplit on a CD. So after your HC3 is connected to a CC's PC with XP SP2 on it, simply run the HDVsplit and see if it starts capturing.
lol. i really doubt they'll let me do that.. besides their computers are like 486s on windows 3.1.
post #190 of 372 Old 05-18-2006, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
timecop is making a big assumption here that everybody must have a windows XP with SP2.
Saying "since every PC I've ever seen connected to DVHS or these cams AUTOMATICALLY INSTALLS THE CORRECT DRIVER without any user intervention whatsoever" therefore all PCs will do that is as ridiculous as saying " every car I've seen on the street is red therefore all cars in the world must be red".
I already mentioned in a previous port that WINDOWS XP HAD A D-VHS TAPE DRIVER IN IT SINCE ITS RELEASE IN 2001. That means original XP, SP1 and SP2. Service pack has no effect on whether a DVHS or HDV cam is detected or not. And what are YOU doing without SP2 in 2006? (Not that it matters).

Edit:
So that you don't think i'm talking out of my ass, I just looked at the directory on my SP0 (that is original RTM release) of windows XP:
MSTAPE.IN_ 3439 08/23/2001
incase you don't know, this is the inf file for mstape.sys, which is (surprise) a D-VHS tape driver!
post #191 of 372 Old 05-19-2006, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscore
I wonder why Best Buy's site lists that it includes it?
[i]

"Power adapter/in-camera charger, InfoLithium rechargeable battery (NP-FM50), 16MB Memory Stick Duo media, Remote Commander remote, USB, component video and A/V cables, lens hood, lens cap, shoulder strap"

But you guys said it doesnt come with a shoulderstrap? Weird.

It doesn't come with a lens hood, or lens cap either - the lens cap is buit-in, never seen a lens hood for an HC3.

Also they are quoting the wrong battery - the HC3 uses an NP-FP type.

It looks as though they have simply copied the info from the HC1 listed accessories to me...

For the people trying to sort out the XP firewire connections - my HC3 connected to my PC running MCE 2005 (SP2 + all updates etc) without any problem
post #192 of 372 Old 05-19-2006, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
lol. i really doubt they'll let me do that.. besides their computers are like 486s on windows 3.1.
I think CC let people play with their PCs on display there. Quite often you see teenagers playing games on them. I have never checked what PC models they have. But it could be that their PC dept is setup more for museum than for sales.
post #193 of 372 Old 05-19-2006, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryofMayfair
It doesn't come with a lens hood, or lens cap either - the lens cap is buit-in, never seen a lens hood for an HC3.

Also they are quoting the wrong battery - the HC3 uses an NP-FP type.

It looks as though they have simply copied the info from the HC1 listed accessories to me...
hmmm...I think I may have to call Best Buy on their mistake. Maybe I can work a free memory card out of the deal :p
post #194 of 372 Old 05-19-2006, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

I think you probably can. Tell them some online prices or CC price you have found and see if they will match it. They always have some Mem sticks on sale there too. I picked up 512MB stick for Sony HC3 for only $35 (of course you can find them on line these day for $25).
post #195 of 372 Old 05-19-2006, 02:55 PM

I was wandering if you use D-VHS program capture the stream from the HC3 has anything been compressed.
post #196 of 372 Old 05-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakethesnake
I was wandering if you use D-VHS program capture the stream from the HC3 has anything been compressed.
Nope, it's the original MPEG-2 transport stream.
post #197 of 372 Old 05-19-2006, 05:20 PM

I just want to make sure my thinking is in the right direction. If I were to take the captured mpeg from the D-VHS program and make a dvd using Sonic or Pinnacle Studio 9 then it would be down converted to get on a dvd to play at home. Or i could just store the video on a dvd and keep until it becomes convenient to put on the new dvd players that play HD with no degradation or need to recapture.
post #198 of 372 Old 05-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakethesnake
I just want to make sure my thinking is in the right direction. If I were to take the captured mpeg from the D-VHS program and make a dvd using Sonic or Pinnacle Studio 9 then it would be down converted to get on a dvd to play at home. Or i could just store the video on a dvd and keep until it becomes convenient to put on the new dvd players that play HD with no degradation or need to recapture.
Correct, if you burn it to a DVD to play on any DVD player, it will need to be down rezzed to 480p (i believe) so that it can be viewed on standard DVD players which do not support HD resolutions.

However, you can save the content as data on a DVD, not viewable on stand alone DVD players, and view it, in all it's HD glory, on any capable computer. Then, when the method becomes available, you could presumably burn this data content to a Blu Ray or HD DVD to be viewed on a Blue Ray/HD DVD player in native HD resolutions.
post #199 of 372 Old 05-19-2006, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

IO_DATA's AVel LinkPlayer can play .ts/HD-mpeg files from DVD+-R.
This way you don't have to wait for HD-DVD or some other stuff, but of course you're limited to 4.7gb/8.5gb per disk which is only 20/40 minutes of HD.
post #200 of 372 Old 05-19-2006, 06:40 PM

Most home movies are not that long so the limited space isn't a big deal for me right now. Thanks for the great info it is really appreciated.
post #201 of 372 Old 05-22-2006, 07:31 PM

Hi every one! I got my new HDR-HC3 last week. Apart from the exciting of it's fantastic vedio quality, I wasn struggling with not able to capture HD signal from my computer!!!!
If I set i.Link to SD, my computer will capture it fine, but one I turn the setting off and with direct 1080i output, neither adobe premiere pro 2.0 or Sony vegas 6.0d can recognize the camera.
I will be really thankful if any one of you can give me a hand!!!
post #202 of 372 Old 05-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanlmeddoc2000
Hi every one! I got my new HDR-HC3 last week. Apart from the exciting of it's fantastic vedio quality, I wasn struggling with not able to capture HD signal from my computer!!!!
If I set i.Link to SD, my computer will capture it fine, but one I turn the setting off and with direct 1080i output, neither adobe premiere pro 2.0 or Sony vegas 6.0d can recognize the camera.
I will be really thankful if any one of you can give me a hand!!!
Make SURE the drivers are installed, make sure the camera is in playback mode, and try to capture using CapDVHS instead of directly into a video editing program.
post #203 of 372 Old 05-23-2006, 03:20 AM

Thanks you!
I did turne camera in playback mode. However, CapDVHS is a super App and it's free, I am afraid.
Now I don't have to worry about it any more.
Thanks again!
post #204 of 372 Old 05-23-2006, 03:21 AM

Another thing: I thought that the native resolution for HDR-HC3 is 1920*1080, but it's 1440*1080.
Can it record a higher resolution? Is this the best it can do?
Cheers
post #205 of 372 Old 05-23-2006, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes HDV is 1440x1080 rectangular pixels. There's another mode (1280x720p) used by older JVC cameras, but it's not supported by HC3.
post #206 of 372 Old 05-23-2006, 02:17 PM

Is the HDR-HC3 capable of time-lapse photography?
post #207 of 372 Old 05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

no
post #208 of 372 Old 05-23-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAZ.HDTV
Is the HDR-HC3 capable of time-lapse photography?
Yes it can....But only to the memory stick..

Page #63 of the users manual..."INT.REC-STL (Interval photo recording) You can record still images on the "Memory Stick Duo" at a selected interval. This function is useful to observe the movement of clouds or the changes in daylight, etc."
post #209 of 372 Old 05-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Another thing: I thought that the native resolution for HDR-HC3 is 1920*1080, but it's 1440*1080.
Cheers
1440x1080 is an industry standard resolution. Professional videotape formats like Sony's HDCAM also records 1440x1080. Another professional videotape format, Panasonic's DVCPRO-HD records 1440x1080 at 50 Hz and 1280x1080 at 60 Hz. If the stuff you saw on TV shot in HDCAM looks good, then HDV can be just as good.

Remember that some parts of Star Wars Ep I and all of Ep II was shot in HDCAM. Ep III was shot in HDCAM SR, which records full 1920x1080 4:4:4 RGB at a very high bitrate. So 1440x1080 is good enough for Lucas.
post #210 of 372 Old 05-23-2006, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Cheers
Keep in mind that professional HD cameras, after in-camera filtering, don't get much higher than that either. I'm not saying that the HC3 is on a par with a $100,000 pro camera, but the resolution is not bad.
Closed Thread Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page