Canon HV10 camcorder is the real deal! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 229 Old 10-18-2006, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yep...here ya go:

This for CC ONLINE only--but you can order here and pick up in-store. Tip: don't try this after 11pm at night EST since they will be in inventory mode and won't be able to lock into a store, making shipping your only choice. Just punch the code in at the order screen when it asks if you have any credits or coupons to use.

They seem to hover the original discount between $150-$195 off....it is now about $186. I locked one in at $195 last week. Keep in mind this 'coupon' works for the SR1 too...once they get it in stock any day now.

And yes...free bag too now

If I remember right this is GOOD TIL 10/21 only!

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Camco...ategorylist.do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 229 Old 10-18-2006, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Coupon code for $150 off:

K9A5T73A8Y

It looks like they raised the price online though...

Still not a bad deal.
post #93 of 229 Old 10-18-2006, 09:46 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Wow, they really did bump it up this morning all right. Glad I jumped last night when I did. Don't forget, there's the free mail in promo for the Pinnacle Studio 10.5 Titanium package too if you don't already have editing sw:

http://downloads.canon.com/cpr/softw...0_Pinnacle.pdf

ron
post #94 of 229 Old 10-18-2006, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Can someone post the Pinnacle link? I need it. The one above does not work...
post #95 of 229 Old 10-18-2006, 11:44 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
If you right-click and save to your desktop you should be able to open it. If not, the link is prominently diplayed on the Canon.USA website at the main HV10 page.

ron
post #96 of 229 Old 10-18-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luidoly View Post

Yes, I've connected it to the new Sammy 5679 LED using D-net and the PQ is outstanding. D-Net identifies it as Canon Camcorder on the list of attached firewire things you have connected, I can't remenber if it even gives it its proper name.
I use Movie Mode, and it fills the full screen 16:9 full resolution.

Again, the PQ is superb

Sweet - so can you control the Canon camcorder with the Samsung TV remote? Is the connection as good as HDMI would be?

Gizmo Joe
post #97 of 229 Old 10-18-2006, 12:08 PM

Liked: 11
I literally think the pricers play pin-the-tail on the monetary figure every few hours---I've never seen more fluctations that with that site. As with this morning, it can change within hours and I've seen it do that before. I think they realized the coupon worked with the discount--$195 + $150 is quite a chunk of change off.

As for Canon, they notoriously have site link issues. Just go to their site and you'll see the Pinnacle link on the main HV10 page.

Here's a tip: I wanted to extend the 14-day return policy on camcorders so I would be able to check out the new Sony SR1, yet lock in the great Canon price. So...here's what I did. Go to the store and have them price-match the online discount (they will)--maybe even the really great one if you printed it out before the changed it. Then put down 20% which holds it for 2 weeks. This will effectively give you a month--two weeks to pick up from the hold and two weeks to return. Just don't open it and that should give you plenty of time to check out the Sony and decide. If you don't want ANY of them, that cost still should be fully refundable.

Good luck!
post #98 of 229 Old 10-18-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo Joe View Post

Sweet - so can you control the Canon camcorder with the Samsung TV remote? Is the connection as good as HDMI would be?

Gizmo Joe

Yep, you can control it.
As far as the connection, I think the Firewire connection gives you better color than the component connection.

I have it hooked up both ways with the wires hanging out from the sides of the TV so I can reach them and hook the camcorder easily to either one.

I think the Firewire connectionn gives you better and more dense color because it is totally unaltered. As far as HDMI goes I could not tell since the HV-10 does not have HDMI out, but to tell you the truth I see no difference in PQ between the camcorder feeds and the HD feeds I get from Direct TV where I use HDMI.

I still like to use the little remote that comes with the camera, to control it it gives you more choices and a nice display of what's happenning including shutter speed, f stop etc......
Hope this helps.
post #99 of 229 Old 10-18-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Yep, you can control it.
As far as the connection, I think the Firewire connection gives you better color than the component connection.

I have it hooked up both ways with the wires hanging out from the sides of the TV so I can reach them and hook the camcorder easily to either one.

I think the Firewire connectionn gives you better and more dense color because it is totally unaltered. As far as HDMI goes I could not tell since the HV-10 does not have HDMI out, but to tell you the truth I see no difference in PQ between the camcorder feeds and the HD feeds I get from Direct TV where I use HDMI.

I still like to use the little remote that comes with the camera, to control it it gives you more choices and a nice display of what's happenning including shutter speed, f stop etc......
Hope this helps.

Thank you much for the replies! I am excited about getting one of these. Any reason to believe that the Firewire version in your Sammy LED DLP is any different than the HL-S7178W I am buying?

Gizmo Joe
post #100 of 229 Old 10-18-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo Joe View Post

Thank you much for the replies! I am excited about getting one of these. Any reason to believe that the Firewire version in your Sammy LED DLP is any different than the HL-S7178W I am buying?

Gizmo Joe

I really doubt it. You will be amazed at the playback from this "little" camcorder.
post #101 of 229 Old 10-19-2006, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As far as HDMI goes I could not tell since the HV-10 does not have HDMI out, but to tell you the truth I see no difference in PQ between the camcorder feeds and the HD feeds I get from Direct TV where I use HDMI.

Uh, oh. Guess I can scratch this camera off my list.

My new Panny plasma only has HDMI accessible from the front. Seem dumb not to have HDMI.
post #102 of 229 Old 10-19-2006, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hutchinson View Post

Uh, oh. Guess I can scratch this camera off my list.

My new Panny plasma only has HDMI accessible from the front. Seem dumb not to have HDMI.

This is one of the biggest reasons that I have not bought this model yet. Someone really messed up leaving off HDMI. So the only way to connect is with unweildy component cables...for this tiny camera (and I have yet to see a component input on the front of a TV). Ridiculous.
post #103 of 229 Old 10-19-2006, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoclown View Post

This is one of the biggest reasons that I have not bought this model yet. Someone really messed up leaving off HDMI. So the only way to connect is with unweildy component cables...for this tiny camera (and I have yet to see a component input on the front of a TV). Ridiculous.

Not true - check my conversations with "luidoly" a few posts up - Firewire appearently looks better than HDMI and is a pure digital connection using 1 wire. Now if you do not have Firewire on your HDTV you obviously have a problem with this suggestion...

Gizmo Joe
post #104 of 229 Old 10-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

HDMI is the standard digital connection for HD while firewire is not. Most new HD flat panels on the market do NOT have any firewire connections. That means you probably won't be able to go around to show your HD footage to your friends and neighbours without carrying and pluging in five cables (three video and two audio).
Another huge advantage of having an HDMI is it seems region free just like HD DVD player. I routinely carry my HC3 with a small HDMI cable to PAL countries and never had any trouble playing the HD footage on their flat secreens. But component won't work.
post #105 of 229 Old 10-19-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodobeHD View Post

HDMI is the standard digital connection for HD while firewire is not. Most new HD flat panels on the market do NOT have any firewire connections. That means you probably won't be able to go around to show your HD footage to your friends and neighbours without carrying and pluging in five cables (three video and two audio).
Another huge advantage of having an HDMI is it seems region free just like HD DVD player. I routinely carry my HC3 with a small HDMI cable to PAL countries and never had any trouble playing the HD footage on their flat secreens. But component won't work.

You make good points, but with my 2 HDMI ports already spoken for, I am glad to have a one cable, pure digital solution that works. Besides, I do not know anyone with a HDMI-compliant HDTV (that I would want to share my videos with anyway) and I do not get overseas much.

Gizmo Joe
post #106 of 229 Old 10-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Does anyone see any competitive HD Camcorders to rival the Canon HV10 on the near horizon? I heard the Sony can't compare with picture quality but the Sony has a aux mic input and hdmi output. If the Canon HV10 had hdmi and aux mic input I'd buy 1 today.

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #107 of 229 Old 10-29-2006, 07:08 AM

Some observations about the HV10:

I have it for about a week and here are some quick observations:

PROS:

- Great image quality. Noise is seen only in really dark scenarios.
- Very portable, light and small sized.
- Still Image quality is very good. Flash is OK as well.

CONS:

- Build quality is not so good. Feels cheap compared to the HC-3.
- No MIC input. The built in MIC is quite OK but I need that extra MIC port.
- Image stabilizer has a hard time at max-zoom. Not as good as SD Sony CAMS.
- KIT battery is very weak. Drains-out after 30-45 mins.
- Controls on the back of the camera are very hard to use. Very small buttons.

Overall, this camera suits me fine for family videos as it has a great quality and being portable. Would have loved to see better build quality and extra MIC input.

E.S.
post #108 of 229 Old 10-29-2006, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 507
E.S., I'm surprised you ddin't realize that the Canon didn't have a mic input. Regarding the image stabilization of the HV10, I can tell you it is superior to both the Sony HC1 and HC3 since I had both. It does a better job at max telephoto than either Sony. The other thing that I don't think gets discussed nearly enough, is that of the autofocus. The autofocus on the Canon is significantly superior to the Sonys. In fact, it's the best autofocus I've ever used on any camcorder in any format....better than my Sony VX2000.

I agree with you regarding the battery, but it was no better with either Sony. The HDV format, with its intensive computing necessities, really drains the small batteries these units come with. But you can purchase a larger battery for the Canon that will provide something on the order of double the run time.
post #109 of 229 Old 10-29-2006, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Disagree:
- That the build quality is cheap
- That the image stabilization is superior to Sony, unless the HC1 and HC3 are significantly worse than the Z1U I owned.
- That the image stabilization is better at max telephoto than Sony with the same disclaimer above
- That the autofocus is superior to Sony, with the exception that is has an extra instant focus mode.

Agree:
- That the image quality is great.

I just sold the Sony Z1U in anticipation of the Canon XH A1 that I have on on order but has been delayed. I just purchased an HV10 to use in the interim. My impressions follow.

1.) Image quality is more than surprising. In outdoor light the colors and detail rival the pro cams, Z1, XL H1, HD100.

2.) It's harder to get steady video with the HV10 than the pro cams but not impossible.

The HV 10 image is so noise free and detailed, and the color balanced and natural, I think it will be very hard to tell it apart from the pro cams from the image alone.
post #110 of 229 Old 10-29-2006, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Tom, the extra instant auto focus of the Canon makes all the difference in the world...trust me! I too owned an FX1 for awhile and the autofocus of the HV10 is much quicker and certainly better than either the HC1 or HC3.

Yes, the image stabilization of the HC1 & HC3 are probably worse than the Z1U since they use electronic image stabilization. I'm not saying their stabilization systems were bad, but the optical IS of the HV10 and Z1U/FX1 is better. Remember too, as with any very small camera, it's inherently tougher to hold steady. I found the FX1 to be extremely easy to hold steady....although very tiring after a short period.

But yes, that image quality of the HV10 is truly remarkable. I remember the first clip I shot and played back made my jaw drop. I just couldn't believe this tiny thing produced such a pristine, professional looking picture. Remember you doubted me when I first compared the HV10 to more professional HDV units.
post #111 of 229 Old 10-29-2006, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you know the 35mm equivalent zoom range? It's not as wide as I thought, and way more telephoto than I was expecting.

Interesting that the closest focus distance is many times more than the Z1, which would focus on an object 1 inch away. The HV10 glass is very impressive though. It has some fringing as the others, a bit more pincushion, but is highly resolved and great color.

The contrast -1 setting on the custom menu is very similar to using the Sony with the black stretch "on" setting.
post #112 of 229 Old 10-29-2006, 09:21 PM

If my math is right, the 35mm equivalent zoom range is 32-320mm if matching the vertical field of view and 27 to 270 mm matching the horizontal field of view. So let's say 30 to 300ish.

The closest focus distance is about 0.4" if you set it to minimum zoom.

Mike
post #113 of 229 Old 10-30-2006, 01:44 AM

Ken, Tom and all,

Sorry if I was misunderstood:

Disclaimer: The HV10 is a really great camcorder and I'm having a great time shooting with it. The results are
also unbelievable. I knew before I bought it about the short battery life and No-mic issue and still chose the HV10. Portability
and image quality are the most important aspects for me.

1. As for Image stab, I was comparing to Sony's SD cams and NOT their HD cams. HD image stab is a harder task especially if you
don't want to pay with resolution. People who are experienced with SD camcorders may be a little disappointed when they see
the result of the HV10 in Max zoom. You just have to pay more attention to it when you shoot. Just a quote from the NYTimes review: "...In practice, the Canon's stabilizer works fantastically when you're zoomed out; if you use two hands, the picture is indistinguishable from a tripod shot. As you zoom in, however, camera shake becomes more noticeable; at the 10X maximum, keeping the video rock-solid requires either a tripod or nerves of steel."

2. I still think that built quality is noticeably lower than the HC-3. The SD card, I/O doors use very thin plastic and the feel
of the camera is that low-grade, thin plastic was used (It looks great though). HC-3 uses aluminum & more rugged plastic (Similar to Canon SLR plastic).
This was a disappointment for me considering the price-tag (A 1000+ $ camera should feel rugged to some degree).

Overall, although it's not perfect I fully recommend it to anyone looking to buy a new camcorder for home use. In 10 years
only the footage will matter and the HV10 delivers unbelievably good footage.

E.S.
post #114 of 229 Old 10-30-2006, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am still on the fence but really want this camcorder for it's portable size and image quality. It is close to going below $1000 now on line so I'm holding out a little longer in hope for some holiday sales.
However typical of my luck is I will buy this camcorder and in a few months Canon will come out with a better version!

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #115 of 229 Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post

Do you know the 35mm equivalent zoom range? It's not as wide as I thought, and way more telephoto than I was expecting.

I'm not sure, but the wide angle is less so than the small Sonys, but it gives back on the telephoto end which brings you closer than the Sonys.
post #116 of 229 Old 10-30-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I remember the first clip I shot and played back made my jaw drop. I just couldn't believe this tiny thing produced such a pristine, professional looking picture.

Ken:
Jaw dropping is the right description for the PQ of this little baby. The Movies in my HDTV set are like watching Discovery HD.
I just got the wide angle lens adapter from Canon, and holding the camera with it gives it more balance and I can hold rock steady wide angle shots as well as zoomed.

The size of it does not interfere with the Instant Auto Focus feature, and does not have any vignetting at all.

It does interfere with the little video light, but I never used much anyway. Available light noise (regular room lights) is almost imperceptible, even in not so well illuminated night street scenes.

I've had for about 4 weeks and the more I use it, the easier it gets to handle, as well as changing the controls, exposure, shutter speed etc...

I don't know why people are so worried about HDMI out, or the lack of it. The component connection is just as good, plus for editing you have to have Firewire which the HV-10 does. You cannot use HDMI anyway.

Talking about editing, I'm planning to dub some background music using iMovie to some of my clips but so far I've shot with the setting in Stereo 1, but on playback you have 4 choices S1,S2,Mixed 1-1 and Mixed/Variable, what would you recommend I use if I want to dub Music.
Thank You.
post #117 of 229 Old 10-30-2006, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree you don't need HDMI but component is not as good. If you rip the video from tape to hard disk via the 1394, you can author it to HD-DVD and play it back from a red laser disk via the HDMI of that unit. I think Ken may be doing this as well.

In the end, I agree HDMI is not so important for a camcorder and do you plan on loaning it out so others can watch your video? What you really need is a distribution format, and that's what HD-DVD represents now, although what future it has if any is unknown. I really like having mine, from tape to HD-DVD to HDMI to HDTV, all digital, pretty nice.
post #118 of 229 Old 10-30-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post

I agree you don't need HDMI but component is not as good. If you rip the video from tape to hard disk via the 1394, you can author it to HD-DVD and play it back from a red laser disk via the HDMI of that unit. I think Ken may be doing this as well.

In the end, I agree HDMI is not so important for a camcorder and do you plan on loaning it out so others can watch your video? What you really need is a distribution format, and that's what HD-DVD represents now, although what future it has if any is unknown. I really like having mine, from tape to HD-DVD to HDMI to HDTV, all digital, pretty nice.

Until the HDDVD vs BluRay wars are over I don't plan to invest on HDDVD although your point is well taken. HDMI would be ideal for that purpose.

My HDTV Samsung LED set has 2 Firewire inputs to connect up to 10 Firewire units in series in the form of a network, when I hook the HV-10 to the Firewire input I get pure unaltered video and I must say it is better than component. The playback is awesome.

In that sense I agree with you, for the time being I have to resort to DVD recording via Firewire to a recorder that will downconvert to 480p if I want my friends to see my movies or share with them.

If you have used the HV-10 do you have any thoughts on Music dubbing???
Thanks.
post #119 of 229 Old 10-30-2006, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ken:
Jaw dropping is the right description for the PQ of this little baby. The Movies in my HDTV set are like watching Discovery HD.
I just got the wide angle lens adapter from Canon, and holding the camera with it gives it more balance and I can hold rock steady wide angle shots as well as zoomed.

The size of it does not interfere with the Instant Auto Focus feature, and does not have any vignetting at all.

It does interfere with the little video light, but I never used much anyway. Available light noise (regular room lights) is almost imperceptible, even in not so well illuminated night street scenes.

I've had for about 4 weeks and the more I use it, the easier it gets to handle, as well as changing the controls, exposure, shutter speed etc...

I don't know why people are so worried about HDMI out, or the lack of it. The component connection is just as good, plus for editing you have to have Firewire which the HV-10 does. You cannot use HDMI anyway.

Talking about editing, I'm planning to dub some background music using iMovie to some of my clips but so far I've shot with the setting in Stereo 1, but on playback you have 4 choices S1,S2,Mixed 1-1 and Mixed/Variable, what would you recommend I use if I want to dub Music.
Thank You.

Luidoly, glad you're enjoying the HV10! I've thought about a wide angle lens, but I'm not sure. I initially missed the HDMI connection, but after seeing the picture on my plasma via component, I don't miss the HDMI too much. Just remember, these tapes are always 'HDMI ready' whenever you can output them from an HDMI equipped playback deck.
post #120 of 229 Old 10-30-2006, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you have used the HV-10 do you have any thoughts on Music dubbing???

This is very easy to do with a simple non-linear editor such as Vegas or Womble MPG Video Wizard. Yes I do this all the time, a background music track. But you do it in post. What cam you use, whether the HV10 or anything else is irrelevant .
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page