post #181 of 229 Old 11-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweppner View Post

3) in order to record an HD-DVD, what burners are you using? I plan to get the Pinnacle software that comes free with the camcorder and start editing in HD. But I don't have a drive yet that can burn them. I plan to go the HD-DVD route for now. Please let me know what computer DVD burners you are using.

Thanks!

You don't need a special burner to burn HDdvd with pinnacle... you can do REAL hddvd with any standard dvd writer (works better with a high end one though)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 229 Old 11-26-2006, 04:45 PM

Great to know! Thank you for the info blackbill! I'll give it a shot soon. I currently have a MadDog dual-layer DVD burner as well as a Sony single-layer DVD burner. I'll try it first on the Dual-Layer drive.
post #183 of 229 Old 11-27-2006, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodobeHD View Post

dell still shows $1299. how did you get two 15% off coupons?

hmmmm... this morning I added the camera to my cart and went to checkout. The 15% off coupon for orders over $400 is still there. The other is gone.

hmm
post #184 of 229 Old 01-07-2007, 08:33 AM

I searched and could not find anything on this topic so I am hoping someone can help. I have a Samsung HL-S7178W DLP set which I have connected to my Denon A/V receiver via optical cable so that I can get Dolby Digital playback for OTA via the built in tuner. That connection works great so I assumed (my first mistake?) that all audio sources connected directly to the 7178 would use that optical connection, particularly my new Canon HV10 camcorder I have connected via Firewire (awesome little HD camcorder). The video via the Firewire hookup looks incredible but I get no audio through my A/V sound system. I can hear audio from the camcorder through the TV speakers so I know the audio is being sent to the 7178 via Firewire, but I really do not want to use the TV speakers if I do not have to. Is this set not capable of passing audio via optical out from other inputs besides the built in tuner?

Joe
post #185 of 229 Old 01-07-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo Joe View Post

I searched and could not find anything on this topic so I am hoping someone can help. I have a Samsung HL-S7178W DLP set which I have connected to my Denon A/V receiver via optical cable so that I can get Dolby Digital playback for OTA via the built in tuner. That connection works great so I assumed (my first mistake?) that all audio sources connected directly to the 7178 would use that optical connection, particularly my new Canon HV10 camcorder I have connected via Firewire (awesome little HD camcorder). The video via the Firewire hookup looks incredible but I get no audio through my A/V sound system. I can hear audio from the camcorder through the TV speakers so I know the audio is being sent to the 7178 via Firewire, but I really do not want to use the TV speakers if I do not have to. Is this set not capable of passing audio via optical out from other inputs besides the built in tuner?

Joe

Joe, you have a PM for your set up problem.
Thanks
Luidoly.
post #186 of 229 Old 01-07-2007, 02:18 PM

Hi Guys, this is my 1st post around here...

With much interest I have read all the stuff about picture quality but what amazes me is that audio quality is not discussed much.

I am hesitant about this camera. Here's why:
For over 4 years, i have been using my trusty old Canon Optura 100MC. Perfect picture quality, but the built-in microphone picks up a LOT of unwanted sounds. You can clearly hear the tape transport. Now there is one guy (JackRand2000, in the comments below the review at camcorderinfo), that complains about the HV10 having this same problem. In fact, he has returned the camera because of it.

Here's wat my Canon camera sounded like:
http://www.filecrunch.com/file/~56gg3c
(unaltered sound converted to MP3 for portability)

You can hear why I bought the Canon $250 shoe-mounted microphone. And you might understand that this could very easily spoil my fun, because there IS no accessory shoe on the HV10.

Do any of you guys recognize this in a HV10? Of course it is audible only indoors in almost silent surroundings, and not outside. But, as Headrusch pointed out: in a quiet conversation you would pick it up too...

Please let me know,
regs
pieterj
Netherlands
post #187 of 229 Old 01-07-2007, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 585
I find the onboard mike no better or worse than other cams of its size. I've owned the HC1 & HC3 and I find it comparable to those.
post #188 of 229 Old 01-08-2007, 12:02 PM

Ken thanks for the quick response.
Do you (or anyone else) by any chance know of or have samples that are shot under similar conditions (quiet indoors), so I can do a comparison?
tnx
pieterj
post #189 of 229 Old 01-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterj View Post

Ken thanks for the quick response.
Do you (or anyone else) by any chance know of or have samples that are shot under similar conditions (quiet indoors), so I can do a comparison?
tnx
pieterj

the sound on HV10 is most likely comparable to your older Canon.
The extenal mic and lanc features were delibrately left out on HV10 by Canon so it won't compete with its $4000+ pro HD models. With it pro like video performance HV10 can easily be a pro HD cam if it has these add-on possibilities which may cost less $100 for Canon to implement. So for those of you still wishing to have some pro add-ons features on HV10 they are not something to be desired from Canon but something you just can NOT have from Canon's perspective.

I bet Kenny wouldn't need his FX7 if HV10 had all of these features.
post #190 of 229 Old 01-09-2007, 11:45 AM

I can't argue with that, GodobeHD. Still I would be interested in anyones info on low-db audio samples...
post #191 of 229 Old 01-09-2007, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I haven't tried it yet, it was exceptionally clear on some outdoor footage I took....I will try the indoor book-reading thing sometime soon however (sometimes I film the wife reading to the kids, sometimes at bedtime so her tone is softer, so if they turn out ignorant they can't blame us)

I can recommend the >$40 Power 2000 2000ma 315 battery replacements however. They hold a much longer charge and my camera didn't appear to fry when I used them. I did a 60 minute tape and then popped in another one and the battery indicator was still above 1/2. Compared to the stock battery's 30 minute lifespan, that is.
I paired it with a $25.00 Power2000 travel charger.

Forget Canon's 70 dollar 315 battery. Even the power2000's dont hold a charge as long a year from now (a common problem with 3rd party batteries like this) its still cheaper to buy new ones than be rocking the $70.00 Canon 315's.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #192 of 229 Old 01-09-2007, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Godobe, I bet you're right!
post #193 of 229 Old 01-10-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:

The extenal mic and lanc features were delibrately left out on HV10 by Canon so it won't compete with its $4000+ pro HD models. With it pro like video performance HV10 can easily be a pro HD cam if it has these add-on possibilities which may cost less $100 for Canon to implement. So for those of you still wishing to have some pro add-ons features on HV10 they are not something to be desired from Canon but something you just can NOT have from Canon's perspective.

Interesting info. Can you cite a reference for what you said?
post #194 of 229 Old 01-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The extenal mic and lanc features were delibrately left out on HV10 by Canon so it won't compete with its $4000+ pro HD models.

I would love to see some kind of reference to that as well.... sounds a little far-fetched to be perfectly honest.
post #195 of 229 Old 01-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

How can you expect Canon or its related people in their official capacity to be on record saying that?! I just heard from people knowing a little bit about industry telling me in private. This type of practice in designing different levels of products targeting different cosumers and price points is so common among all industries. Why should we assume Canon just doesn't practice that. The point is if you compare the HV10 to Canon's Pro HD cams there aren't many things missing in terms of feature and performance.
post #196 of 229 Old 01-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How can you expect Canon or its related people in their official capacity to be on record saying that?! I just heard from people knowing a little bit about industry telling me in private. This type of practice in designing different levels of products targeting different cosumers and price points is so common among all industries. Why should we assume Canon just doesn't practice that. The point is if you compare the HV10 to Canon's Pro HD cams there aren't many things missing in terms of feature and performance.

Come on... gimme a break!!

I am not a pro... but this is a BIG hobby for me. As a result I own some pretty "pro-ish" software, and I know point-blank that if you went onto an Avid or sony vegas forum and even suggested the thought of a pro using the a dinky little HV10 as a work cam, you would get laughed at pretty hard.... Don't believe me...give it a try.

The HV10 is a nice little cam, and under the correct circumstances, can produce an image pretty close to a pro cam... but it is not now, nor will it EVER be considered anything even remotely close to a pro cam. I doubt the HV10 could even take the pounding for one day that a pro cam takes.

It is a consumer-hobbyist's cam... nothing more..... Let's try to avoid such blown out statements shall we??
post #197 of 229 Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 PM

I watched some footage I took on my HV10 for the first time on my HDTV and I am shocked at how clear the picture is!!!! This camera is awesome!
post #198 of 229 Old 01-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbill View Post

I am not a pro... but this is a BIG hobby for me. As a result I own some pretty "pro-ish" software, and I know point-blank that if you went onto an Avid or sony vegas forum and even suggested the thought of a pro using the a dinky little HV10 as a work cam, you would get laughed at pretty hard.... Don't believe me...give it a try.

The HV10 is a nice little cam, and under the correct circumstances, can produce an image pretty close to a pro cam... but it is not now, nor will it EVER be considered anything even remotely close to a pro cam. I doubt the HV10 could even take the pounding for one day that a pro cam takes.

It is a consumer-hobbyist's cam... nothing more..... Let's try to avoid such blown out statements shall we??

It is the pro HD level performance we are talking about here not the pro perception. The ultimate benchmark for any video cam is its video footage, and if a serious hobbyist or pro looks at the video footages coming out HV10 (not knowing its HV10) he or she wouldn't be laughing at them for sure. IMHO judging from 125 inch screen HV10 video quality comes indistinguishably close to that of pro HD cams.

Of course I agree with you about not using it as a work cam. I guess you won't be taken seriously as videographer by any client if you show up with that little thing.
post #199 of 229 Old 01-11-2007, 11:45 AM

Funny: this discussion points out exactly how much of this camera business is about positioning and selecting the right features&package for the right price.

Or does it? Maybe ascertaining the audio quality (mic, internal acoustics, AD cirquitry) will convey more of a difference. Anyone? (see my earlier posts)
post #200 of 229 Old 01-11-2007, 04:41 PM

yes, you can hear the tape transport in a quiet indoor setting but I'm not picky so I have no problems with hearing unwanted sounds in the audio...... if you're so concerned about getting a camcorder with no audio problems, then the HV10 isn't a good choice for you... the audio sounds fine to me because the tape transport sound is only audible if you turn up your TV volume really loud.... the picture quality is so damn good that I could care less about the sound
post #201 of 229 Old 01-11-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think Godobe was quite clear in what he said. The fact is, like it or not, the PQ of this cam IS up to the level of the larger prosumer HDV cameras. The PQ of this unit gives up nothing to the larger Canon A1 & G1 (except in low light situations). I have seen posts on other sites by owners of these larger Canon cams who also have the HV10 and have said just that. They have done A/B shoots and say the HV10 is virtually indistinguishable from the larger Canon cams.

I own a new Sony FX7 and I can tell you the HD picture of the HV10 is actually cleaner than the FX7. Yes, the FX7 is brighter and sharper, but there is a professional feel to the HV10's picture in terms of its total lack of video noise, that just sets this thing apart from anything I've seen.
post #202 of 229 Old 01-11-2007, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

blackbill,

Why waste your and my time posting stuff like this? Nobody ever said HV10 is good for a pro.

We are talking about VIDEO IMAGE QUALITY here, that's all.

I am sure you "own" some pro software. You now hear from someone who used to design and develop this "pro" software you own.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #203 of 229 Old 01-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the sound on HV10 is most likely comparable to your older Canon.

Am I the only one here that can read???

" With it pro like video performance HV10 can easily be a pro HD cam if it has these add-on possibilities which may cost less $100 for Canon to implement. "

Sounds to me like we're looking at this cam from a PRO angle

I repeat... this is not now, nor will it EVER be a pro cam.
post #204 of 229 Old 01-13-2007, 06:42 AM

Thanks tamakin, if you ever come arount to posting an audio example i would be très grateful

All, because i passed the 5-post mark, i have restored the link in my 1st post, thanks.

pieterj
post #205 of 229 Old 01-14-2007, 06:09 PM

I had tried out both the HV10 and the Sony HDR-HC3 and was pretty impressed with both. As everyone has noted, the PQ from the HV10 in bright daylight is spectacular. Ultimately, a few things concerned me -

* History of issues with Canon tape transports - though I've heard of this primarily among GL2s. Interestingly, Consumer Reports suggests that the frequency of serious issues is about 3x as great as with Sony camcorders. Anyone heard anything about whether the earlier issues have been fixed?

* Lowlight performance - My opinion of the Canon's performance in indoor lighting (60w bulb during the evening) is a bit lower than some of the other folks that have posted. In fact, the noise I noticed was pretty noticeable, moreso than on the HDR-HC3. That said, the HV-10 remained fairly sharp, while the HDR-HC3 became much softer in lower light. All in all, I probably prefer the HV10 if you don't have better lighting - though you'd certainly be better off with a video light. In this regard, the inability to connect a legitimate video light (and, sorry, the light on the HV10 doesn't meet this criterion) is pretty unfortunate. Because I take a fair amount of video of our baby in lowish light, I'd much prefer to have a hot shoe to add on a video light.

* Inability to add on a mic - The mic on the HV10 is adequate generally. If you do any talking while filming, the placement of the mic pretty much ensures that your voice will dominate the audio entirely. For this reason, among others, I really wish there was some way to add on an external mic.

For the time being, I'm going to wait to see if the Sony HDR-HC7 stacks up better vs. the HV10 on the video side of things. It's got a modestly bigger CMOS sensor and a new color system, so I'm hopeful that it might close some ground on the HV10 in the PQ department. Along with the hot shoe and mic input, it seems to have the potential to address my main concerns. Hopefully, we'll see some reviews coming out pretty soon.
post #206 of 229 Old 01-21-2007, 04:15 PM

I just pulled the trigger on the HV10 after my Sony hdr-hc1 stopped working ,warranty expired and sony wants 500+ just to look at it . That was it for me this is the second Sony mini dv I have had to replace because sonys ripoff customer service.As much as I like sony I have had it,I just hope the ps3 I just bought doesn't crap out as soon as the warranty expires. I also bought a Hdtv that turns off after 5 mins and then again after 2 hours . They a have had two techs come and try to fix it.I would have taken it back but it weighs 250 pounds ,the last guy took the guts 3 weeks ago , the thing hasn't worked since I bought it in october.Again poor service . I was thinking about waiting for the new HDD camcorders, not sony but jvc, but I am using the camera for shooting friends and clients powder skiing so I like the portability of the canon . And I have had good service from Canon in the past. They just rebuilt a 1200$ lens for 100.Not near the scam sony pulls. But I did go for the 4 year mack for an extra 90$ , extra impact battery for $40 and tape for 11$ so with shipping 1098 seems like a deal. Hope fully it will be a better experience than Sony.
post #207 of 229 Old 01-21-2007, 09:49 PM

Liked: 90
Quote:

I would like to find a Prosumer cam that could be taken into the streets (of Paris, Rome, New York, etc,) and not be as noticeable as pro cameras are. I want something I can put in a jacket pocket and pull out when needed. I want something with a wide enough angle (30 would be nice) w/o adding an accessory.
And I would like to be able to add a Stereo (good sonic quality) mic when circumstances allow. But the builtin mic should not be where my fingers need to be. (I have large hands.)

What Camera (under $2K) should I be looking for?

Thanks.
post #208 of 229 Old 01-22-2007, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
No such animal...

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #209 of 229 Old 01-22-2007, 08:23 AM

Liked: 90
I know. Optical Image Stabilizer is also a must have for me.
post #210 of 229 Old 01-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

I know. Optical Image Stabilizer is also a must have for me.

wait for Sony HC7 in a month.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page