Encoding to 480p...a question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-03-2006, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I currently own a Sony DCR-HC90 16:9 native widescreen camcorder. It shoots 480i, and its resolution was reviewed as being pretty good.

But I did have a question....when I record in native widescreen I am assuming I am shooting at 720x480, and putting to tape at that resolution.

When I edit in Pinnacle Studio 10 (I was familiar and accustomed to it and the upgrade was cheap), and encode to MPEG to burn to DVD, I'm noticing that the results on my widescreen TV (65") aren't the best.

They ok, and they're native widescreen, and when I play at 480p they look good, but they dont look great. Not DVD great :)

I know, camcorder versus professional DVD mastering....

But is there a problem where Pinnacle's conversion to MPEG could be a problem?
Do MPEG encoders vary between manufacturers? Would I be smarter to just render to AVI after I do editing, and then use something TMPGENC to convert to MPEG? (Whcih also gives me access to simple filters to sharpen, brighten, darken and otherwise manipulate the image as I need to.

I am considering upgrading to an HC3 HD unit...will probably archive to Hard Drive in the short term and convert to 480p DVD widescreen as required by the family for sharing of video if I go that route ;)

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-03-2006, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I use TMPGENC when I want to keep something as pristine as possible. For material that I want to do a lot of editing I use Ulead Videostudio 9. I like the results quite a bit.
I am also working with Sony's Vegas Videostudio. It's kind of Vegas 6 lite. I think it will do an even better job but it has a harder learning curve than the Ulead software.

I have read complaints about Pinnacle's software. I don't know if the complaints were related to playback PQ or not.

Good luck - I am interested in learning a lot more about all aspects of Video editing, encoding - image manipulation. Creative stuff, this new technology. :)
post #3 of 3 Old 10-03-2006, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The complaints were probably that its a buggy chunk of crap :)

But I paid for it, and so long as I save every few minutes I dont mind the occasional crashes.

I might try just saving the output to AVI and then MPEG'ing on my own with TMPGENC.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Closed Thread Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page