Any new HDV camcorders on there way? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-10-2006, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any new HDV camcorders due to be released shortly. I have just got the canon HV10 but i am in 2 minds of returning it as i am not 100% sure on the grip. Thought i might wait for the next round of HDV's to come along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-10-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 851
I'm not aware of any imminent offerings by the major manufacturers. This is not to say that something couldn't pop up, but I doubt the PQ will be as good, let alone better than the HV10. The FX7 was just released by Sony and it's PQ is essentially the same as the HV10 with perhaps a bit better low light. Of course that unit is much bigger and more costly.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Ken, Fx1 has a lot of EE on bright light. Has FX7 gotten rid off that?
post #4 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Godobe, the FX7 I played with over the weekend had much less EE and was sharper than the FX1. IMO its overall PQ was definitely a step up from the FX1. It's also smaller & lighter than the FX1....about the size of a VX2000/VX2100. They actually did a very nice job with the FX7.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Well, let's see....history is always correct...I just got my HV10 so Canon will probably come out with the HV2 in a matter of months.
Just watch!
Mike

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #6 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Cheers Guys for all your replies. I was thinking of swapping the HV10 for the HC3. Thinking about it, the HC3 is almost a year old now in April! I think i will go for a refund and see what 2007 brings. The spec can only get better for the same price. Shame i really like the Canon but the grip to me is unuseable. I tried to zoom in and out without moving the camera and everytime it caused the shot to shake. The same is for pressing the start and stop record button, this is all caused by the fit in hand. It may have optical image stab but your really need it!
post #7 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Coolmp3, you could try using a monopod, or a slender tripod to use with your HV10. That would help with the grip problem you are having. Of course alot of people don't want to drag a monopod, or tripod around with them. I use one or the other 99% of the time, and am glad I do..... if I didn't , I couldn't last 10 minutes watching my footage.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #8 of 11 Old 12-14-2006, 06:43 PM
gvc
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have heard rumors that the Sony HC3 has been discontinued by Sony. I don't know if its true, but you cant find it on their website. If it is , I hope its just because of pending release of a newer generation, but something tells me they will be focusing on the AVCHD compression format along with HDD and DVD models. I always heard that MINIDV tape produced a better image but I guess image quality takes a back seat to "convenience" in the consumer arena.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-03-2007, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc View Post

I have heard rumors that the Sony HC3 has been discontinued by Sony. I don't know if its true, but you cant find it on their website. If it is , I hope its just because of pending release of a newer generation, but something tells me they will be focusing on the AVCHD compression format along with HDD and DVD models. I always heard that MINIDV tape produced a better image but I guess image quality takes a back seat to "convenience" in the consumer arena.

I concur.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #10 of 11 Old 01-04-2007, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc View Post

And if true, the tape-based HDV camcorders will be garnering a premium price on Ebay as the supply of new HDV cams dries up. I myself would never go to a HD or DVD based camcorder. Too little storage, no archiving, sub-par PQ....why?
post #11 of 11 Old 01-04-2007, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

And if true, the tape-based HDV camcorders will be garnering a premium price on Ebay as the supply of new HDV cams dries up. I myself would never go to a HD or DVD based camcorder. Too little storage, no archiving, sub-par PQ....why?

Hi Mr Ross (or should I say kenny7? )

There are advantages for the people who don't know better.
- not to mess with the tapes;
- faster time trnsferring video to computers
- no need to clean heads, ever.

Of course mediocre quality of AVCHD renders those advantages to zero for me.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page