x.v.Color Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-20-2007, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is x.v.Color the "Deep Color" that we hear so much about as one of the features of hdmi 1.3? ...and if this "Deep Color" is the feature which is enabled by HDMI 1.3, would that mean that Sony's new HD Camcorders that feature x.v.Color are HDMI 1.3?

Any clarification regarding this would be appreciated - PM if you can as well.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-21-2007, 08:35 AM
gvc
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
All I've read about this proprietary color scheme is that to be fully realized it must be played back on a Sony HDTV.

From the SonyStyle website...

"x.v.Color can capture or display nearly twice as many (1.8x) viewable colors than currently possible. This provides a more accurate and vivid color range, for a more natural, lifelike overall experience. "
post #3 of 12 Old 01-21-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

is this the "deep color" asscociated with hdmi 1.3 or is this something else?
post #4 of 12 Old 01-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

x.v.color is Sony's name for x.v.YCC, an international standard; all it does is expands each color channel from 8bit up to 16bit. Since HDV is a set standard, of which HDV1080i was finalized in 2003/2004, HDV will always be 8bit/channel(24bit total). In fact, I don't know of any content or media that can take advantage of the larger color channels, including HD-DVD and Blu-ray. It is closely tied to HDMI 1.3.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-22-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

The HC7 and newer camcorders feature deep color processing, but since the workflow is limited by the HDV format to 8 bits, it has to be downconverted right away. It may help the color some but it's not the same as having a deep color pathway all the way through the project, which you don't have with HDV.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-22-2007, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc View Post

All I've read about this proprietary color scheme is that to be fully realized it must be played back on a Sony HDTV.

From the SonyStyle website...

"x.v.Color can capture or display nearly twice as many (1.8x) viewable colors than currently possible. This provides a more accurate and vivid color range, for a more natural, lifelike overall experience. "

I'd be very surprised if this can only be realized by using it in conjunction with a Sony HDTV. There's nothing in the above statement that say that and there's nothing I know of in Sony HDTVs that would exclusively 'link' with this feature when other HDTVs can't.

The bottom line is to first see if there really is anything different about "x.v. Color".
post #7 of 12 Old 01-22-2007, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

You can't store x,v color on an HDV tape, it would violate the format spec. As far as I know you can't store 1920x1080 on HDV either, its fixed at 1440x1080 res on the tape itself.

So while it might help some that the device captures deep color, by the time it hits tape it will be in "normal" hdv format. That doesn't mean there's no benefit it might help that the camera captures in deep color, but having a deep color tv etc wont help you any since the data was stored with 8 bit color once it was finally encoded and put to disc/tape by the camera.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-22-2007, 06:28 PM
gvc
Advanced Member

From Engaget:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/05...-color-colour/

"Sony renames new HDTV standard xvYCC to x.v. Color/Colour"

"xvYCC, the new standard for wider color space supported in devices using HDMI 1.3 connectors, is certainly alright with us, since it should provide for even better looking HDTVs. Of course, someone in marketing at Sony decided xvYCC isn't exactly the easiest thing for customer's to get their heads around, and has redubbed the standard x.v.Color (or x.v.Colour for those who insist). Mitsubishi and Sony are leading the Color Standardization committee within the Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association to market new LCDs that outpace the old school sRGB color range of CRT displays."

"Sony will attach the logo, "x.v.Color" to allow consumers to acquire an image of "color" and comprehend the message easily, on all products that comply with the "xvYCC" standard, and actively promote it as one of features capable of reproducing color that is closer to nature. In addition, Sony will seek to expand the lineup of "x.v.Color" compatible products to enable customers to enjoy an environment in which they can record, store, edit, transfer and playback content using this full color range. "
post #9 of 12 Old 01-22-2007, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the upcoming Sony HDR-UX7 x.v.Color camcorder will be hdmi 1.3?
post #10 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 05:58 AM

I was at the 2007 ces sony booth and a rep told me all new hd camcorders were the hdmi 1.3 color spec. Hope that answers it for you
post #11 of 12 Old 05-02-2013, 06:59 AM

So, after all this time – I finally turned this feature on my camcorder. I believe I was previously misinformed as to what it was exactly with talk about how it can’t be displayed, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as with my 14bit RAW files that wind up compressed into 8bit jpegs – utilizing this feature allows more ‘headroom’ to work with in the least with the source files while editing, color correcting if needed possibly, etc.?

Otherwise, presumably, you’re still not going to see it on your home television or computer monitor for that matter if you’re using a common consumer grade monitor and not a ‘wide gamut’ monitor. It will benefit the final output though for it to be present before you burn off your Blu-ray discs or upload to YouTube, etc.?
post #12 of 12 Old 05-02-2013, 07:33 AM

Hold the phone; now, if my home player (Panny BDT 220 and Panny ST50 display) can play AVCHD (Blu-ray compliant or otherwise) – am I missing out to not keep my encoded files AVCHD to take advantage of the higher bit depth? Even if it gets lost downstream at some point before it is displayed on the ST50 (which has a ‘deep color’ option).
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page