Canon HV20 is for real, and looks like an HC3! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 132 Old 02-16-2007, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning more toward this camcorder. I just want to clarify something. The Sony HVR M15U which David mentioned lists for $2,800. That is not a option for me. It is important that I'm able to get the videos I take, which will be in HD onto my father's, the grandfather to be's, computer so he can edit them. He's using Sony Vegas six, which I believe will edit HD material. My question is how to get that material over to him?

Can I burn my HD content onto a standard DVD, have him upload that material, edit it in HD, and then burn it onto a standard DVD which I can then view in HD over the Xbox 360's external HD? If that's the case, I'm sold. I'm assuming that if I send that DVD to relatives who don't have a HD DVD player, they'd be able to watch the disc but only in SD. Is that right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 Old 02-16-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyhigh View Post

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning more toward this camcorder. I just want to clarify something. The Sony HVR M15U which David mentioned lists for $2,800. That is not a option for me. It is important that I'm able to get the videos I take, which will be in HD onto my father's, the grandfather to be's, computer so he can edit them. He's using Sony Vegas six, which I believe will edit HD material. My question is how to get that material over to him?

Can I burn my HD content onto a standard DVD, have him upload that material, edit it in HD, and then burn it onto a standard DVD which I can then view in HD over the Xbox 360's external HD? If that's the case, I'm sold. I'm assuming that if I send that DVD to relatives who don't have a HD DVD player, they'd be able to watch the disc but only in SD. Is that right?

You will need to capture the footage to your computer and then copy the files to a DVD to transport.
This could be a hard task as 60 min of DV/HDV footage is roughly 13GB and you will need 3-4 single layer DVDs to fit it. Your best bet is to loan the camcorder to your father so he can capture it himself. I think you need Vegas 7 for HDV editing, but could be wrong.

You can also use an external hard drive to transport the footage, but you still need to capture it from the camera to a computer first.

Yes, you can store the HD edited footage to a standard DVD and play it on HD player (your Xbox 360), but a single layer DVD (4.7GB) will hold only 22 min of HD video. Your relatives will not be able to watch the HD video without HD DVD player, but your father can encode SD version of his edits for them.
post #123 of 132 Old 02-16-2007, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Flyhigh, Sony Vegas 6 will do HDV editing, but not as fast as Vegas 7.
One hour HDV is about 13GB, three DVDs are plenty to store the data. It works out that one 4.7GB DVD can hold 22.5min of HDV off the HV20/HV10. So the easiest way of distributing the HD video to your family is to do the following:
1. capture your HDV to PC by setting up a timer for 21min. (63min tape would take three times of capturing). that way without splitting it in Vegas which takes a long time you will already have HDV the size of 4.5GB in m2t files.
2. your family can edit the m2t files with Vegas 6 and author them into HD-DVD or just play them on their computer with a free VLCmedia player.
post #124 of 132 Old 02-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Ok - camcorder newbie question:

Does recording in 24p filming require anything special as far DVD and TV requirements. ie, I was planning on authoring to HD-DVD with the toshiba HD-A1, which I understand does not have 24p output and I don't think my tv (samsung 7178) has native 24p input.

Am I mixing up apples and oranges? Will I be able to get benefits of 24p film recording?

-Signed, confused.
post #125 of 132 Old 02-17-2007, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodobeHD View Post

Flyhigh, Sony Vegas 6 will do HDV editing, but not as fast as Vegas 7.
One hour HDV is about 13GB, three DVDs are plenty to store the data. It works out that one 4.7GB DVD can hold 22.5min of HDV off the HV20/HV10.

A single layer disk will fit 22 minutes HD give or take a little depending on the choice of audio used (I use Dolby 5.1 surround and get about 20 minutes on a disk)

But there is nothing preventing one from using a double layer disk. With DL disks I can get about 40 minutes on (at 25000K). If the bitrate is dropped slightly to 19000 (you won't notice any degridation) you will get about 50 minutes on a disk.
post #126 of 132 Old 02-17-2007, 08:12 AM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbill View Post

But there is nothing preventing one from using a double layer disk. With DL disks I can get about 40 minutes on (at 25000K). If the bitrate is dropped slightly to 19000 (you won't notice any degridation) you will get about 50 minutes on a disk.

Is the layer change noticeable?
Thanks
post #127 of 132 Old 02-17-2007, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 389
if working with Vegas 7, will I be able to make HD DVD-on-DVD (playable on HD DVD player, I mean) from HDV files?

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #128 of 132 Old 02-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

Is the layer change noticeable?
Thanks

No.... you don't even know one is there the change over is so smooth. You can't use cheap disks though. I will use nothing less than verbatim DL disks... I have not had a failure yet with those. It is however pretty much hit and miss with other disks.
post #129 of 132 Old 02-17-2007, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 389
blackbill,

I already have a DVD+R DL that stutters every now and then (I know it's not the data, but the disc itself). Can I just do a disc copy to another DL media? or will I lose the layer-change point? I'll be copying the original disc using Nero 6.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #130 of 132 Old 02-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

if working with Vegas 7, will I be able to make HD DVD-on-DVD (playable on HD DVD player, I mean) from HDV files?

No. There are one 2 programs that I know of that will create hybrid HD DVD's... Pinnacle studio 10.7 and Ulead movie factory 5.

Of the 2 programs, studio is the better one... it has a plugin that was specifically built creating hd dvd's. The Ulead products don't have the COMPLETE ability to create the disks.... only the files, then you have to take those files and burn them with Nero or similar.

I do all my editing in Sony Vegas7 and then export as M2V/WAV.... import to studio and burn. You can do it ALL in studio (capture/edit/burn), but then vegas puts out a much better quality edit.

ADDED:
Sorry... I'm not sure but I MAY have misread you question... you can use vegas to do your capture/edit and export the files for burning... but vegas itself will not do the burn.... if that 's what you meant.
post #131 of 132 Old 02-17-2007, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

blackbill,

I already have a DVD+R DL that stutters every now and then (I know it's not the data, but the disc itself). Can I just do a disc copy to another DL media? or will I lose the layer-change point? I'll be copying the original disc using Nero 6.

You will not be able to copy the disk. They are written in UDF2.5 so your burner will not even be able to read the disk (XP will see the disk as RAW and empty) A standard burner can WRITE UDF2.5... but can not read it.
post #132 of 132 Old 03-22-2007, 02:44 PM

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page