Deciding between HD/Non HD Camcorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-15-2007, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I've been looking at the latest Sony Camcorders, and I know that I definitely want to go the hard drive route so I can simply copy and paste movies from the camera to the laptop . I also know that I want to have the ability to shoot widescreen. With having 2 young children growing up, we want to chose a camera that will not be totally antiquated next year.

If I go the HD route, will I still be able to display the video on non HD tv's? Or will it simply require me to convert the video's to another format?

Right now I've been looking at the HDR-SR1 which seems to fit all my needs including HD, but I could go without HD for half the price.

Thanks,
Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-17-2007, 07:52 AM

i have the same questions / issues, with the added complication of using mac's. some posts make me worried about sony / mac compatibility
post #3 of 8 Old 02-17-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I think all of the HD camcorders have a DV out mode - so it will downconvert so that you can watch it directly on a TV. My HDR-HC3 does this, but it is HDV tape based. Certainly, once the data is in the computer even as HD you can edit it as you like and output to DVD for viewing and distribution. THis is what I do now as no one in my family has an HD player of any kind. Even the DVDs from my HC3 definitely look better than when I use a SD video source like my old camcorder.

So I would definitely go HD. That way you have the source so years from now when the HD burners and HDTVs are cheap you can go back and remaster. I look at videos of my kid on regular definition and they are so blurry by comparison!! Be thankful that reasonably priced HD is an option now.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-17-2007, 04:24 PM

I have the SR1. Worth every penny. You can watch the movies on non-hd tv's. You can burn to non-hd DVD's (either in HD or non-HD playback). It's not very often people look at your home movies and comment on how excellent the picture is.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-18-2007, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

The SR1 is great if you just want to plug it in and watch... but here's a typical example of what it's like to try and edit from the SR1:

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/for...1690&Replies=0

The SR1 is NO ONE'S best friend when you want to edit!! The link above site SD video Wait until you try and edit the hi def! I have never seen so many people spend so much money and time trying to figure out how to get the SR1's contents onto computer and edit.

Not withstanding, AVCHD has a great compression scheme but I have heard many times now that the quality is just simply not as good as plain old fashioned mpeg2.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-18-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I didn't realize there was so much involved. With HDV tape it's pretty trivial - firewire it in at whatever quality you prefer and your machine can handle (usually limited by how much disk space you want to take up). Then edit from hard disk with Vegas/whatever.

I was against staying with tape at first, but I must admit it's nice to just throw a bunch in my bag when I go traveling and fill them up, and worry about transferring and editing later.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore View Post

Wow, I didn't realize there was so much involved. With HDV tape it's pretty trivial - firewire it in at whatever quality you prefer and your machine can handle (usually limited by how much disk space you want to take up). Then edit from hard disk with Vegas/whatever.

I was against staying with tape at first, but I must admit it's nice to just throw a bunch in my bag when I go traveling and fill them up, and worry about transferring and editing later.

The problem with HDV today is that it is changing so rapidly, you have no idea what is coming and what is going. Tape may be a bit of a pain, and Mpeg2 not the most efficient compression scheme, but these methods have been proven, safe, reliable, easy, popular, and they won't be going anywhere for a LLLOOONNNGG time to come. They are easily your safest bet.... you can't go wrong with them. Other things, like AVCHD for example, may become the next best thing since sliced bread, or they may end up dead and burried in a month... who knows!?
post #8 of 8 Old 02-18-2007, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Good point. I must admit I didn't give it much thought, since when I bought a year ago there weren't many options. I was tempted to wait for a hard disk version, or a Canon, but on both counts I'm kinda glad that I didn't.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page