Help Digitizing Video8 Tapes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-24-2007, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, like many a person I have a stack of old Video8 tapes in a shoe box under my desk here. The camera which was used to take the video has long died and is buried about 50' below sea level at a landfill in Southern VA somewhere, but I digress. So, I'm now in the market for something to play these tapes on. Upon searching it appears this format didn't last very long and was quickly taken over by Hi8 or Digital8, so Video8 players are few and far between. I'm not to 'hip' on this format so if someone could break down the available players for me I sure would appreciate it. As I understand it there was a player/camera on the market that could play Video8 tapes AND had a firewire/digital out port? It was suppose to provide the best quality playback vs Analog player->Capture card. On and I'm not looking to spend the 500-900 that I'm finding Video8 players for .

If needed I can do analog capture as I have a Pinnacle capture card ready to go. Anyone have an old Video8 Camera they want to get rid of for cheap?

Thanks for any help,
Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-25-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I understand it there was a player/camera on the market that could play Video8 tapes AND had a firewire/digital out port?

You waited too long. They were made from 1999 to 2005 and sold out in 2005. Your only recourse is to find a used one on eBay, pawn shop or garage sale.

There were many Digital8 camcorder models that could play analog recorded tapes except the low end model in 2001 through 2005. So avoid the TRV130, 140, 250, 260 and 280. If you used the slow LP speed when recording those video8 tapes, you might not be able to play them back in any camcorder. But if you used the SP speed they should still play back in other camcorders.

There may be some new Digital8 Video Walkman VCR's still available but they will exceed your $500 cut off price.

Dave
post #3 of 8 Old 02-26-2007, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Would any of these work?
CCD-F55
CCD-FX310
CCD-TR54
CCD-TR70
CCD TRV16
CCD-TRV37
CCD-TRV30
CCD-V9 (Pro quality Camera?)

What's the difference in the TR and TRV's? Same with the F/FX? Does it matter which 'line' I get if all I'm doing is xfering tapes, no recording?
post #4 of 8 Old 02-26-2007, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's the difference in the TR and TRV's? Same with the F/FX? Does it matter which 'line' I get if all I'm doing is xfering tapes, no recording?

I can't answer that question but I can say that none of those models have firewire outputs. I believe all of those models are Hi8 or Video8 models.

I should have indicated that all Digital8 camcorder models start with DCR (Digital Cassette Recorder, I assume). So the ones to avoid are DCR-TRV130, DCR-TRV140, DCR-TRV250, DCR-TRV260 and DCR-TRV280. The latest one made that you could use is DCR-TRV480.

Dave
post #5 of 8 Old 02-27-2007, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC E100 View Post

I can't answer that question but I can say that none of those models have firewire outputs. I believe all of those models are Hi8 or Video8 models.

I should have indicated that all Digital8 camcorder models start with DCR (Digital Cassette Recorder, I assume). So the ones to avoid are DCR-TRV130, DCR-TRV140, DCR-TRV250, DCR-TRV260 and DCR-TRV280. The latest one made that you could use is DCR-TRV480.

Dave

Yea I know they don't have firewire, that's ok. All the ones listed though will playback Analog Video8?
post #6 of 8 Old 02-27-2007, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I understand it there was a player/camera on the market that could play Video8 tapes AND had a firewire/digital out port? It was suppose to provide the best quality playback vs Analog player->Capture card.

I'm sorry but I thought finding one with a firewire port was the whole purpose of your original post? Without a firewire port you will have to go the capture card route which will add significant cost to your project and will probably reduce the quality of the captured video.

Yes...I suspect all of those model numbers will play Video8 analog recorded tapes. I have no knowledge of those models but every 8mm camcorder ever made should play those tapes with the exception of the 5 Digital8 models I mentioned previously.

Dave
post #7 of 8 Old 02-27-2007, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC E100 View Post

I'm sorry but I thought finding one with a firewire port was the whole purpose of your original post? Without a firewire port you will have to go the capture card route which will add significant cost to your project and will probably reduce the quality of the captured video.

Yes...I suspect all of those model numbers will play Video8 analog recorded tapes. I have no knowledge of those models but every 8mm camcorder ever made should play those tapes with the exception of the 5 Digital8 models I mentioned previously.

Dave

I already have a Pinnacle AV/DV capture card, so the cost there is taken care of.

Thanks for your help!
post #8 of 8 Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 PM

I just like you have many tapes taken from 1990 onwards . I purchased pinnacle to edit the
movies and make them usable on DVD disks. It is a very long process. I recently found a Sony
Camera a TVR 480 that plays all formats for about $300 and it works great. Here is the best part, I also bout a Pioneer DVD recorder with a 160 GB hardrive that allows me to record movies quickly from the camera onto the Dvd recorder and editing is so easy and burning to a disk even easier. not only that but you can group a number of movies together onto a
DVD disk that is 4.4 GB single layer or 8.0 GB dual Layer. Something to think about
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page