HV10 or HV20? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-26-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Based on many excellent reviews I had been thinking of ordering the HV10 UNTIL I saw the announcement of the HV20. At first, I was thinking that I'd definitely wait for the HV20. However, the price differential is now about $170 on Amazon. Does anyone think the HV10 is still a good deal at this point or would you recommend waiting for the HV20. I would fall under the "Joe consumer" mold as opposed to a "hobbyist" at this point...this would be our first camcorder. Primary use would be family (we are adopting and will be travelling to China this summer) and possibly an occasional hiking trip (I'd love to capture some hi-def video on my trip this year, but am a little leary about exposing the camera to 2 weeks in a backpack and weather.) One other factor in the decision is that I will likely be leaving on the hiking trip in late April, so there is a decent chance that I wouldn't be able to get my hands on the HV20 in time.

I know that no one has actually SEEN the HV20 yet, but am just hoping to get some opinions from the knowledgeable folks on the board. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-27-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Much depends on how you view the ergonomics of each unit. The HV10 has an upright design that many don't like. The new HV20 will have a conventional design. The new unit also has improved lowlight, HDMI output, mike input, headphone output etc.

I think the overall PQ will be very close. But if you like the smaller size of the HV10, go for it. I love my HV10, but I'll more than likely get the HV20.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

There is so much coming out right now... and this is a $1000 plus expenditure. If you're in no rush then I would hang on... at least until some solid reviews come in. I'm holding on for some solid reviews between the HV20 and the Sony HC7.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-27-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Get the HV-10 unless picture quality isn't the only deciding factor. I love mine and it was the best purchase I have ever made.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2007, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-01-2007, 04:09 AM

I have a Sony HC3 and am thinking of switching to the HV20. If this camera lives up to advance billing, it will be in demand for a long while. Enthusiasts will prize its 24p capabilities. So your resale value (if that's a factor) will be stronger with the HV20.

Bored? Check out my blog: www.thelonglonghoneymoon.com
post #7 of 7 Old 03-03-2007, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

This is my first camcorder - so take this with a teency grain of salt, but for me the deciding factors are: 1) hot shoe for light or microphone. 2) HDMI 3) form factor- I actually like the smaller size of the HV10 but many have found it difficult to shoot 4) theoretically better low light conditions - we'll have to see on this one. Plenty of people already happy with the HV10 in this regard.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page