HD Camcorder, Best under 1.5K - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-27-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have about 5 months until wife is due with twins and I plan on having a camcorder in hand by then. I know very little about HD Camcorders, but do know a far bit about HT. I have a HT in basement and a 60XBR in living room. I am a novice camera man so I am looking for something that is compact and displays a nice picture.

My wish list in order of importance are:
1. Compact
2. Excellent picture quality (1080p 24fps would be nice) during day and night.
2. Good sound capture
3. Good battery life.
4. Simple config to give to those not hi-tech. Push button once I set up for them.

I am looking at the Cannon and Sony, but figure since I have 5 months, something better, or more cost effective may be coming down the pipe. What would you all recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-28-2007, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony just released the HCR-7 and Cannon will have the HV-20 out in about a month. Both are HDV cameras, the sony is msrp $1399 and the cannon is $1099 I believe. Wait for the reviews, but both look to be good choices for your needs.

I believe only the cannon will offer the 1080p
post #3 of 10 Old 03-01-2007, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there any way to control the Canon's start/stop via a wired remote? With some Sony's you can do that via LANC, but I don't know if there's a way on the Canons.

Does anyone other than Sony make an HD camcorder that records to a hard disk?

See profile for new equipment list
post #4 of 10 Old 03-02-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 410
1. Canon HV20 doesn't record nor output 1080p. It's not in the HDV spec.
2. Canon HV20 comes with a wired remote.
3. Panasonic will release AVCHD HDD camcorder for their 2007 lineup. There is also another company that will release AVCHD HDD, but I can't remember which. Furthermore, however, AVCHD is still not ready for primetime. If you think HDV pixelization is bad, you'll be horrified by the current AVCHD units.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 Old 03-03-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

1. Canon HV20 doesn't record nor output 1080p. It's not in the HDV spec.
2. Canon HV20 comes with a wired remote.
3. Panasonic will release AVCHD HDD camcorder for their 2007 lineup. There is also another company that will release AVCHD HDD, but I can't remember which. Furthermore, however, AVCHD is still not ready for primetime. If you think HDV pixelization is bad, you'll be horrified by the current AVCHD units.

1. Just to clarify, the Canon HV20 does 1080i 24P.
2. It actually comes with a wireLESS remote. See #5.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=14869
3. Currently, AVCHD editing capability is next to nonexistent. Software solutions have yet to catch up with the hardware. If you buy an AVCHD-based camcorder now, you basically have to sit on your video files until good software comes out. By that time, the next wave of HDD camcorders will have surely come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

My wish list in order of importance are:
1. Compact
2. Excellent picture quality (1080p 24fps would be nice) during day and night.
2. Good sound capture
3. Good battery life.
4. Simple config to give to those not hi-tech. Push button once I set up for them.

1. Size - When you factor in extra batteries and other supplies, most cameras out there will have to be carried in a small shoulder bag or something similar. Having said that, if you're taking the twins (congrats, btw ) to the park, for example, the Canon HV10 (predecessor to the HV20) will actually fit in your coat or trousers pocket.

2. Picture quality - I'm assuming that you're going to want to record on tape as DVD is not has good quality. The top contenders look like the Sony HC7 and Canon HV20. There are clips for both around on the net (e.g. places like dvinfo.net). I personally don't like the filter Sony camcorders use because greens look deep but reds are shifted toward magenta. The filter Canon camcorders use look more balanced. This isn't based on my viewing experience. Rather, the technical specs back this up. As such, I think the Canon camcorders produce the more realistic picture.

2. Sound quality - Camcorder mics are decent but anything with a mic input (or accessory shoe) will obviously be better.

3. Battery life - According to the manuals, the Canon HV20 has about 20% more battery life than the Sony HC7.

4. Ease of use - I think most consumer camcorders are designed to be user friendly these days. When you set the camcorder to Auto, the camcorder takes care of the white balance, focusing, and other salient settings. All you need to do is press Start/Stop and, if necessary, operate zoom.

So congratulations again on the twins! One of my best friends just had a baby girl (yesterday!) and we're all very happy! He was mentioning that he wished he had a camcorder to film his wife during the final months of pregnancy. He's gonna go out and look for one now, though. I would recommend that you choose your camcorder 2 to 3 months before the birth so that you (and your wife?) can really get to learn the ins and outs of the device.

Good luck and have a safe delivery!
post #6 of 10 Old 03-03-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobato View Post

1. Just to clarify, the Canon HV20 does 1080i 24P.

What on Earth does that mean? Do you mean 1080/24p? Can't be both i and p...

Will most of these also do 720p? (Doesn't have to be 60p; 24p is fine with me.) In general I would prefer progressive caps since I'm going to be watching things on progressive displays (computers, flat-panel TVs, and the like).

--
Christopher D. Heer
Disclaimer: I neither speak for nor represent my employer or its views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-03-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 410
I don't know how they'll do the 24p but according to HV20's manual:

recording system: HDV: 1080/60i

Furthermore, there is no explanation on how they're achieving the 24p. As far as I'm concern, when there is no documented proof of actual-24 fps recording (as opposed to 24 fps-look) any claim WRT "real 24 fps recording" is just concenture.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #8 of 10 Old 03-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
These camcorders are all 1080i not 1080p.

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #9 of 10 Old 03-03-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post

Do you mean 1080/24p?

Erk! Yes, I did! (Shoulda gone back and re-read my post! )

Edit: According to the manual, this is a selectable mode in the camcorder. Otherwise, it shoots at 1080 60i. (These are NTSC numbers, of course)
post #10 of 10 Old 03-03-2007, 09:59 PM

When paired with a $249 Blackmagic Intensity capture card, these cameras record 1080p.

The key is capturing the recorded image prior to HDV compression. This will require being tethered to a PC...preferably one with lots of hard drive space!

Bored? Check out my blog:
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page