Sony TVR22 Hosed? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-27-2007, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 2 year-old Sony MiniDV DCR-TRV22 cam-corder. Yesterday when I went to record some video of the kids I turned it on and all I'm getting the viewfinder is a blueish-green image with a white line running horizontally across the center and bands of vertical lines of various shades of blue and green.

If I wave my hand in front of it I can see the green screen change in brightness, but there are no visible images, and obviously if I hit "record" all I get is blueish-green video.

I've tried a head-cleaning cassette, I've also tried a couple of different MiniDV cartridges. Nothing has worked. I can however put a previously recorded tape in, hit play, and it works fine.

I've checked all the settings, nothing seems to have changed.

What else can I check?

Is it worth sending this thing in for repair (Ritz Camera quoted me $150 just to look at it and a 6-8 week repair time).

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-27-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Check with Sony. They had a huge amount of CCD failures in some camcorders of about your vintage. Usually that failure produced a black screen but it is not out of the realm of possibilities that this could be the same problem. Sony has been fixing that problem for free. If you had to pay for it then it wouldn't be worth the cost to have it repaired. Sony stone walled for over a year saying it wasn't their problem. But the failures were so massive and the pressure became so intense that they relented and have been fixing them for free.

Dave
post #3 of 4 Old 02-28-2007, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC E100 View Post

Check with Sony. They had a huge amount of CCD failures in some camcorders of about your vintage. Usually that failure produced a black screen but it is not out of the realm of possibilities that this could be the same problem. Sony has been fixing that problem for free. If you had to pay for it then it wouldn't be worth the cost to have it repaired. Sony stone walled for over a year saying it wasn't their problem. But the failures were so massive and the pressure became so intense that they relented and have been fixing them for free.

Dave

THANK YOU FOR THAT TIP!!!!

I checked the Sony web site and navigated to

Where they discussed the problem I described earlier. They even had a picture showing exactly what I'm seeing:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-i...8&mdl=DCRTRV22

I filled out a repair request and am awaiting instructions. Thank you again, you just saved me the $300 I was about to spend on a new camera.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-28-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I am glad you found some help. It is always nice to hear that I actually helped someone. My battery is recharged. Thanks!

Dave
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page