Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 427
the camera is "crap" because:

1. the lens have MUCH higher CA
2. slightly noisier low-light capability
3. FAR slower auto focus
4. no headphone output
5. useless OIS
6. almost double the price of the HV20 or HC7 without performing better (worse, in fact).

But apparently for you large constant aperture lens = good, so go ahead, buy the JVC.

PS: would you kindly tell the stage managers of Roy Thompson Hall, Carnegie Hall and Royal Albert Hall that I should be allowed to use tripod since OIS is useless. I've been trying to tell them that for the past 5 years and for some reason they don't listen to me. Maybe because I don't know anything.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 04-21-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Sourdate, it's not just the great OIS on the HV20, it's the great OIS coupled with the great picture quality with very low noise in most shooting situations. That's the combination that spells a great video-taking experience. Oh, and did you know that the HV20 also has zebras & manual control? I don't think you understand that people that buy cameras like the JVC, Canon or Sonys are not, for the most part, doing so for professional reasons. Yes, some buy the HV20 as a "B roll" camera, but those are in the minority. They're buying the JVCs, Sonys and Caonons for shooting family gatherings, fun type events and general casual shooting. People will not, repeat not, carry a tripod with them everywhere they go.

So in the end, it is extremely important that a good image stabilization system be built into the camera if good videos are to be shot.
post #33 of 44 Old 04-25-2007, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by my-2-cents View Post

.... do I sense a HV20 cult member here

That's funny!
I'm reading through some of these threads and it does seem to be a bit HV20 heavy though. Good little cam, but there are others.

I'm not sure I would swallow the HD7 with it's higher price tag, but I'm also not sure I would dismiss a cam merely because the OIS is a bit weak. You can use a cam with weak OIS, but not with a weak lens, and the HD7 lens is a good one. I think that for what the HD7 is (a HDD based cam), it's about the best one out so far.

As for HDD's vs tape, I'm a bit of a fence sitter on that one, and it would more or less depend on what you're buying for. HDD is extremely convenient for editing purposes, very fast and efficient, but then once it's full...

With tape you just take the old one out and put the new one in. It's also very convenient if you simply plan on watching and not editing. But then if you leave you work on tape, you're pretty much limited to using your cam as a player, something that I have never been too crazy about.

Well, it is great that we are presented with all these choices anyway.
post #34 of 44 Old 04-25-2007, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

I'm not sure I would swallow the HD7 with it's higher price tag, but I'm also not sure I would dismiss a cam merely because the OIS is a bit weak.

The OIS on the HD7 is not a bit weak. It's totally and utterly useless. Seriously, it's really that bad.
post #35 of 44 Old 04-25-2007, 05:05 AM

But the HD7 lens ISN'T good... that's the problem. A good lens would not exhibit the amount of CA I had on mine
post #36 of 44 Old 04-25-2007, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggadonkey View Post

The OIS on the HD7 is not a bit weak. It's totally and utterly useless. Seriously, it's really that bad.

Well, I guess it very much depends on what you plan on using the cam for. I tend to shoot mostly shoulder mount, tripod, monopod, merlin, so OIS isn't really an issue for me.
post #37 of 44 Old 04-25-2007, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by persiannight View Post

But the HD7 lens ISN'T good... that's the problem. A good lens would not exhibit the amount of CA I had on mine

Yes admittedly CA is a but high, but the jvc lens on the HD7 is the same type they use on their pro cams. Granted, jvc is never really been one's primary choice in the industry. On the other hand, DOF is the fad and it sells these days. Some of the crazy things people are doing with Brevis, home made 35mm adaptors, anything to increase DOF. If you can get a lens that zooms well through f1.8, you can get some pretty good DOF, and the jvc lens does do that.

But again, it all depends on what your purpose is for the cam. Personally speaking I think the price on this one is a bit too high for what you get, but that's just me.
post #38 of 44 Old 04-25-2007, 06:54 AM

bigbarney,
Have you used the Merlin? Do you like? I'm actually exploring different "steadycam" options for my work camera (Pan. DVX100a), and don't really want to strap on Varizoom/Glidecam harness type gear.

Yea, JVC cam- abit of a $$ stretch for the average consumer enthusiast. And if it wasn't going to be used in such a free-hand way around family activity (wife will also use etc.), I'd be more likely to get it. I really value good OIS for this reason. If it was planning to use it professionally, whatever), I'd do like you and have some additional stabilizing gear.
post #39 of 44 Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by persiannight View Post

I can recall seeing that on a few HD7 clips. I see none on the HV20 or HV10 lens.
post #40 of 44 Old 04-25-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
IMHO, OIS is extremely important.

W/O good OIS everything else is pretty much useless, at least for me.

I am trying to shoot watchable videos.

Tripod? yeah, right.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #41 of 44 Old 04-26-2007, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggadonkey View Post

bigbarney,
Have you used the Merlin? Do you like? I'm actually exploring different "steadycam" options for my work camera (Pan. DVX100a), and don't really want to strap on Varizoom/Glidecam harness type gear.

Merlin is quite good. Of course the best thing to do for steady shots is just plain not move. If you get used to using zoom, you can mimic walking and simply follow with the zoom. But that only works to a certain extent.

But don't be fooled into thinking you're going to take merlin out of the box, throw it into action, and come up with perfectly steady shooting. It akes quite a bit of time to adjust the weights properly, and it also takes quite a bit of practice in understanding its use, and it's limits.

The device that I find to be the most underrated and least talked about is the monopod. Great device. Simple, cheap, light, portable, and you can rest it on anything. The monopod has become pretty much a permanent fixture on several of my cams. I have even developed a small cup that clips onto my belt where the base of the pod sits. Of course this doesn't work very well when in motion, but when still, you can eliminate almost all shake. Your belt takes the wieght of the cam and the only thing left for your hand/arm to do is control and steer.
post #42 of 44 Old 04-26-2007, 06:32 AM

Does anyone find the HD7 grip a little off? My thumb wants to go in the middle of the back for proper balance. When I have it on the rec. button, to the far right, it seems that the cam will tend to tilt to the left.
post #43 of 44 Old 04-26-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

But don't be fooled into thinking you're going to take merlin out of the box, throw it into action, and come up with perfectly steady shooting. It akes quite a bit of time to adjust the weights properly, and it also takes quite a bit of practice in understanding its use, and it's limits.

Thanks. I'll probably try the various stabilizers out at the DV expo in NY this summer. I tend to avoid the zoom on any camera like the plague, and try to physically move in on my subject as much as possible. I do alot of shooting at large trade shows, moving around with a host who interviews people showcasing their products. I've been doing all of this with no stabilizer.

I think a common mistake people make is trying to follow action everytime the subject moves. I've learned to "go with the flow" with my camera. I've learned that most of the time I don't have to respond exactly in sync with a subject's motion. I can follow along and "catch up" with them (reframe the shot) without winding up with a jerky shot. I end up with much more fluid, watchable footage.
post #44 of 44 Old 04-26-2007, 08:22 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked: 2738
The JVC GZ-HD7 fails in every category of image quality when compared to the competition from both Sony and Canon. The quality is not there. Every feature JVC touts is indeed a semi-pro feature; the camera initially seems very pleasing to use. However any video enthusiast will quickly tire of the blown-out, oversaturated, blurry, chromatic abberated, noisy, shaky video the GZ-HD7 puts out, regarless of bit-rate, format, etc. The lens on the JVC is especially bad. The zebra control is rediculous, the HD7 blows out highlights so easily, you end up taking dark video just to avoid the blow-out.

I'll state it loud and clear: if you care about the quality of your video footage, the JVC GZ-HD7 is a very poor choice for a video camera. It cannot even create clean video at DVD resolution. Even calling it high definition is misleading since it can only capture 960x540 pixels worth of detail. HD resolution is achieved by interpolation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdate View Post

It's mind boggling for one to lablel a camera crap simply because its OIS is a failure without judging its over picture quality in terms of color, contrast, saturation etc. Did it perform poorly in terms of image quality under good lighting?If picuture qulity is good, then I think with bright lens, manual control, zebra pattern make it a good value. Your analogy of megapiexel is ridiculous and shows You just don't know how to compare. The FACT is that Megapixel is a double edge sword, more piexels on a same size sensor invariably yieild more noise under low light. So More piexels can do more harm than good by itself under low light!! But lens never will. A better lens is always complementary to any camera body and can never be a negative factor. If OIS is really that great, then GOGEN and GITZO will be long out of business the day OIS is invented, and professional will swarm to OIS only lens and never buy heavy sturdy tripods anymore. This JVC camera is not intended for snapshot shooter since the bright lens, complete manual override and zebra pattern provide little value to them. If you think OIS outweight everything else, then go with Canon HV20 or SONY's entry HDV model.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page