What regrets could I have if I keep $899 Sony HDR-HC3 from Best Buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-03-2007, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At a local Best Buy in Pittsburgh, I bought the last Sony HDR-HC3 for $899 that they currently have in stock? (The salesman speculated that the price was reduced in order to clear these out since newer models, HDR-HC5 and HDR-HC7s, are now available) This seems like a great price.

I'm mainly interested in taking HDTV video of family events (birthday's, kids' baseball games, etc.) and family vacations. I would like to be able to do basic edits and add fades and titles to come up with a nice (but not professional) looking final video. I currently don't have a camcorder. These events are happening in the short term so I really don't have much time to wait.

So, what regrets could I have buying this camcorder?

Should I splurge and buy the HC5 or HC7?

And, 1 final question, this model is specified as capable of taking video in 5 lux. If I take a picture in the dark with someone blowing out lit birthday candles, will it look okay?

I currently have not opened the box (since I don't want to incur the 15% restocking fee if I return it). So, I'm hoping that I get some good feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-03-2007, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
you would be missing the video PQ of a Canon.

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #3 of 9 Old 03-03-2007, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

The HC3 is an exellent cam and you will certainly NOT regret your purchase! Mine has served me extremely well... And the price you paid is quite a bargain even when there are newer ones already out. Now is there better technology in the newer cams coming out? Sure there is... but at a steeper price.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-03-2007, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirosco View Post

And, 1 final question, this model is specified as capable of taking video in 5 lux. If I take a picture in the dark with someone blowing out lit birthday candles, will it look okay?

Not sure what you mean by "in the dark", but no cam is perfect in low light... the HC3 does however do a reasonably good job.... and if it's too dark.... then you can always use the night vision... something that I enjoy tremendously... I've gotten some great footage of family members and such sleeping... They are quite surprised when they see it on the screen!
post #5 of 9 Old 03-03-2007, 09:56 PM

I own an HC3 and love it. Great little camera. But I've owned it for almost a year.

If I were shopping NOW, I would wait a few weeks and get a Canon HV20. The Canon shares the same form factor as the HC3, PLUS 24 frames-per-sec recording, a cinematic gamma curve, 1080p resolution, and OIS. And you can buy it for as low as $925 from certain dealers. (B&H has it for $1099...but there are more dealers out there than B&H and Best Buy.)

The Sony is an awesome camera, but the Canon promises to be a breakthrough. It's the first consumer-oriented HD 24p camera.

Bored? Check out my blog: www.thelonglonghoneymoon.com
post #6 of 9 Old 03-04-2007, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 762
I had the HC3 (as well as the HC1) and I now own the Canon HV10. I honestly feel the Canon is superior in sharpness, color and focusing as well as as the lowest video noise floor I've seen in a consumer HDV camcorder.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

the hc5 is hitting the web stores for around that price, even a bit lower. So I would take it back. BTW was the $899 before sales tax? If so it was closer to $960 depending on your tax rate.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-05-2007, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the advice!

I actually paid $899 + PA Salestax of 6% + Allegheny's County 1% for a total of 961.93

I immediately noticed over the weekend that the HC5 is even lower. So, after reading the information on this site and comparing the HC3 to the HC5 and the HC7. I decided to order the HC5 at an internet site for $844 plus $20 for 2-3 day shipping.

I added a battery and 5 pack of tapes and everything came to $953.00

If I could wait longer, I would consider the Canon HV20. However, I cannot wait till it is released.

So, hopefully the transaction goes well and I receive the camcorder later this week. I called and they said that it should go out tomorrow. They said that it is now backordered and that they set one aside for me since I ordered over the weekend.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-05-2007, 07:27 PM
gvc
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I was at a local circuitcity store today and checked out the camcorders. They had the hc5 and hc3 but not the hc7.. The price on the hc5 was actually $100 less than the discontinued hc3

I owned a HC3 but took it back when I found out newer models were coming. The HC5 fit like a glove in my hand. I'm waiting for the hv20 though.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page