Anyone have success with Sony HDR Camcorder and Vista? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-06-2007, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've searched for this on AVSForum but haven't found any notes on it.

Has anyone had any success using a Sony HD camcorder (or particularly the HDR-HC3) with a Vista computer? Sony says the camera supports Vista, yet they don't offer a driver to work with it (they say one is not needed). When I connect my camera, Vista recognizes it (albeit as a HDR-VCR device), shows the i.Link icon on the camera, and prompts me for a driver for it. Obviously I don't have one, and the search doesn't find one, so I can't communicate with it.

If anyone has had a similar issue or has a fix, please let me know! Sony's tech support has been useless so far after 2 hours on chat with their "advanced" support team.

Thanks,
Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-07-2007, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

I have vista and my HC3 connects no problem... It gets recognized same as in XP. Some of my editors however don't recognize it properly. Sony Vegas7 is the only one that sees it for what it is without any updates added to it.

Check your ilink settings and make sure everything is proper... also try a different firewire cable.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-07-2007, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks - though I'm surprised to hear that this worked.

I don't have another FW cable with the mini jack on both ends (only have Vista on my laptop), but I really don't think that's the problem. It's a brand new cable and Vista does instantly recognize the camera, it just asks for a driver to load with it. Strangely, I noticed the same thing yesterday on a USB flash drive I tried with it that you would normally think wouldn't need a specific driver.

Out of curiousity, what kind of computer are you using it with? I can't imagine that makes a big difference but I'm trying with a new HP laptop.

Did you have to do anything to have it recognize the HC3 or simply plug in the Firewire cable?

When it's connected, what device does your device manager say it is?

Thanks - this has been really frustrating so far trying to deal with Sony on it.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

I did nothing different from XP.... just plugged it in. It is recognized as the exact same thing as XP sees it as... AV... something, can't remember exactly what (I'm at work now so I can't tell you exactly what it is... but it's the same as XP)

The machine I run is a P950 dual core, 2gig ram, ATI x850xt video, Asus P5LD delux Mobo. I do however have the larger firewire plug at the computer end.... although I don't see that as being an issue.

I completely baffled as to why your machine is not seeing the cam correctly!!??
post #5 of 7 Old 03-07-2007, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'm baffled too, though I'm thrilled that it works for you. That means there is a fix - I just have to find it.

Our computers are pretty similar - mine's an HP Pavilion laptop Dual Core 1.86, 2 GB Ram, NVidia GeForce Go 7400. Even with the mini to mini FW cable, I don't see that likely being the problem.

I'm really curious to see how the HD3 shows up in your device manager. I looked tonight on my XP machine (HP Desktop) and when I plug it in the Device Manager doesn't show any change - it doesn't list the camera at all. But, when I clicked on show hidden devices, it showed me two new devices when I plugged the camera in - these were the following:

61833 Device Class Bus Device
AVC Device Class - AVC Device

I could click on either of these to see the driver associated with them. If your Vista unit is doing something similar, maybe we can find the actual driver that Vista is using to communicate with the camera and I could try that. Take a look and let me know what you find.

I ran a Windows Update tonight to see if that solved it - it did a couple updates, but nothing changed.

I'm still puzzled by the fact that Vista recognizes the camera when I plug it in as a "HDV-VCR" - not sure if that's part of the problem or not but still seems strange.

Thanks again,
Carl
post #6 of 7 Old 03-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

It shows in vista as:

Sony HDR HC3.

I click on that and I get a panel that says:
AV/c Device
Manufacturer: Generic

The driver is Microsoft, version 6.0.6000.16386

Bottom line is that it's a generic M$ driver that is included in Vista.... you should not need any other drivers.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-08-2007, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks - I think I may have solved the problem. It looks like there is a newer BIOS that HP has released that may solve the problem (according to an HP tech). I tried to install it tonight, but can't as I don't have my power cable and it won't let you do it on battery power. I'll try it tomorrow and will let you know if it works.

The funny thing is the first step they had me do was reboot to safe mode, remove the 1394 driver, and reboot so that Vista reloades the driver for the 1394 card. I did that, but when Vista found the 1394 port, it prompted me for the driver software and wouldn't continue since I didn't have it! I'm really hoping the BIOS update fixes both issues...

Thanks again,
Carl
Reply Camcorders