Sony HDR-UX7 now released - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 04-24-2007, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So many errors I don't know where to begin. The Sony mini DVD's for $2 each at Sam's club. Not that expensive. Finalizing a 20 min HD disk takes less than 2 min. and is easily done on battery power. Also finalizing is only necessary to generate the menu. You can take a DVD straight out of the camera and play it in a PS3, computer or blu ray player without finalizing. No problem. That's an enormous advantage over a painfully slow tape system. And yes, at least 95% will never edit their video at all. They just play them.

Also copying is a snap. Just make a disk copy to full size DVD. It plays great HD in the PS3 or blu ray player. The same is true of standard definition.

The quality is super. Looks just as good as any broadcast HD. Period.

Never again will struggle with copying a tape in real time. Ouch! Talk about a waste of time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 04-24-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post

Never again will struggle with copying a tape in real time. Ouch! Talk about a waste of time!

Is this what I think it means??!! If I get a HV20 or any other HDV camcorder for that matter that I have to wait 60min to transfer my 60min HDV over to the computer for editing?!

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 36 Old 04-24-2007, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 417
well, you don't have to sit in front of your PC for the full hour.

Here's my "trick".

1. hook everything up
2. start transfer
3. come back in an hour

PS: all the professional units are like that too.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #34 of 36 Old 04-24-2007, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

ok, thanks Dave, lol of course I wouldn't sit and watch it!

So about how long does it take for a HDD camcorder to transfer 60min of HD video? Maxed out at the connection capacity? FIrewire, usb2.0, etc.?

The biggest thing for me is that I would like to be able to send movies to family to watch or to upload them to a website for viewing...maybe the UX7 is the way to go...

Greg

post #35 of 36 Old 04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 417
LOL! I'm serious, a couple of friends actually did that until I told them the obvious (I'm so ashamed to have friends like them )

If you transfer the data directly from Firewire or USB 2.0, 60 min of video won't take that long (depending on the speed of your PC, USB controller config/driver etc), maybe about 20 minutes.

However, if you want to convert the HD to SD, either you do it in-camera (through regular playback set to SD) and captured to your PC (that's in real time so 60 min video will take 60 min to do) or you do the conversion in-PC (HD to SD transfer in PC can take hours, depending on the quality you want to get and the speed of your PC)

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #36 of 36 Old 04-24-2007, 04:43 PM

Finalizing a 20 min HD disk takes less than 2 min. and is easily done on battery power.

A disc that's full may take that length but if you don't record to the disc's capacity, it takes considerably longer. The UX7 manual states that it can take from a few minutes to a few HOURS to finalize.

Also finalizing is only necessary to generate the menu. You can take a DVD straight out of the camera and play it in a PS3, computer or blu ray player without finalizing. No problem. That's an enormous advantage over a painfully slow tape system. And yes, at least 95% will never edit their video at all. They just play them.

Compatibility isn't guaranteed on all players. But yes, discs will play on a PS3. They'll play on a PC with high specs. But if you mistakenly put them in a non-AVCHD DVD player, you're taking serious chances.

Also copying is a snap. Just make a disk copy to full size DVD. It plays great HD in the PS3 or blu ray player. The same is true of standard definition.

Yes, DVD-based camcorders are good for copying data. Quite convenient.

The quality is super. Looks just as good as any broadcast HD. Period.

I disagree. I've seen the UX7 side by side with other camcorders on a large screen and I don't think it's anywhere as good, especially in comparison to the likes of the HV20. (I have an HV20 and picture quality is top notch!)

Waiting an hour to capture is not pleasant -- if you're sitting in front of the computer the whole time! I always find other activities to do and then come back. It's the "sacrifice" I make for the great-looking movies.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page