Need that final push - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-10-2007, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
AFter researching on the web, I have come down to the Canon HV10 or the Sony HC5. I have decided on MiniDV for a number of reasons. At first I was sold on the Sony but started finding lots of info on the HC10 and am now leaning towards the HC10. I prefer not to wait for the HC20 since no one really knows when it will be released, April maybe? The only thing that really worries me on the HC10 is the mic placement and its effect on audio. I am an amateur and this will be my one, and probably only camcorder purchase.
So help me jump, HV10 or HC5?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-11-2007, 07:33 PM

Liked: 10
My number one recommendation is to wait for the HV20. But if you MUST choose between the Sony HC5 and HV10, I think the HV10 is the way to go.

Comparitively speaking, the HV10 will give you a better resolution as per the pixel count on the specs. Specs admittedly don't tell but after seeing samples of the two side by side, the HV10 is superior. Personally, I think the color reproduction of the HV10 is better because of the Sony ClearVid system's overemphasis on greens -- at the expense of reds and blues.

The HV10 gets an undeserved bad rap for low light shooting. I've shot many videos at night and restaurants under low-light conditions and I've been satisfied with the results. You can DL clips from various places, such as dvinfo.net.

I haven't done an audio comparison but I've once again had great results on the HV10. Conversations in public places were very clear.

Ultimately, you have to decide what fits best the type of shooting you do. If possible, wait for the HV20!!
post #3 of 4 Old 03-11-2007, 11:04 PM

Liked: 10
If this is to be your "one, and probably only camcorder purchase"...for goodness sakes, wait 3 weeks and buy an HV20!

Bored? Check out my blog: www.thelonglonghoneymoon.com
post #4 of 4 Old 03-12-2007, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
After a lot of mind numbing research, I got the HV10 and I am pretty sure I wont regret the decision. Just taking the camera out of the box, charging the battery then walking around the house shooting various scenes with variable lighting provided images with more detail than I thought was really possible in a camera this small. Yes there is a "graininess" in very low light situations but I had come to expect that and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
Should I have waited for the HV20? Well, the poor mic position turns out not to be as bad as a lot of people said it would be. Yes you get wind noise but for what I am going to use it for, it is more than acceptable. The amateur hobbyists amongst us will probably find this fits the bill very well.
I even transfered some old VHS tape to it and it seemed to both me and the wife that it cleaned up the images a little. We had one tape of our wedding that was taken on a boat out of Morro Bay. The engine drone in the old tape was almost overbearing, on the transfer, yes the engine drone is still there but is seems somewhat subdued, yet the voices seem to be a little clearer. Just our imagination? who knows but it sure seems that way.

For those of you who want to wait for the HV20, go for it, but if you think the HV10 may work better, for whatever reason, I don't think you will regret it.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page