Questions on low light - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-13-2007, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When people say they get grainy or poor picture quality in low light what exactly are they considering to be low light?

If you are indoors and have lights on in a room is that considered low light thus reducing the PQ?

I would assume an school auditorium for a school play would be low light?

As I said in another post I am ready to pull the trigger on the HC7 and most of my vid's will be outside, but I do video the christmas / b-day parties too and want good quality video for that as well. So are shooting indoors and have lights on in the home is that enough? or does it depend on how much lighting you have? I don't want to set up movie studio lighting to record my kids b-day if you know what I mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-13-2007, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When people say they get grainy or poor picture quality in low light what exactly are they considering to be low light? If you are indoors and have lights on in a room is that considered low light thus reducing the PQ?

YES!
Quote:

Could be....some auditoriums are better lit than others.
Quote:

So are shooting indoors and have lights on in the home is that enough? or does it depend on how much lighting you have?

It depends on how much light you have. Turn on all of your lights and see if that is enough. Some camcorders need more light than a normal household will have.

Dave
post #3 of 4 Old 03-13-2007, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack View Post

When people say they get grainy or poor picture quality in low light what exactly are they considering to be low light?

If you are indoors and have lights on in a room is that considered low light thus reducing the PQ?

As I said in another post I am ready to pull the trigger on the HC7 and most of my vid's will be outside, but I do video the christmas / b-day parties too and want good quality video for that as well. So are shooting indoors and have lights on in the home is that enough? or does it depend on how much lighting you have? I don't want to set up movie studio lighting to record my kids b-day if you know what I mean.

Smack,

Great question. I'm a huge camcorder newbie and just bought the HC7. In daylight and outdoors its very very nice. At night overhead lighting and lamps on its ok. Lots of noise. The resolution is there as you can see the details but there is a haze of grain over the picture. The more lights I turn on the better. Since my 15 day return period ends before the HV20 releases I'm kind of "stuck". But I'm not sure how much better the Hv20 will be in low light. The HC7 is a good camera but definitely try it before you buy it. Nice but my expectations were too high I think.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-14-2007, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

The HV20 won't be a lot better... if any at all. HD cams in general need quite a bit of light, and that's life. If the lighting in your home is not bright then you will have to consider a lamp for your cam.

In places where I do a lot of shooting, I have actually increased the lighting. I have DAYLIGHT fluorescent bulbs in the basement (gives beautiful indoor shots) and I have a 500 watt hal. floor lamp for the living room.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page